Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar

So What're The Best/Intriguing Recent/Upcoming Games to Play/Look Forward To?

So I've been out of the loop in terms of what's happening in the world of gaming right now (pretty much only played The Walking Dead and Mario Kart recently).

So what games have been out recently that are fun/interesting/absorbing. Preferably things that are either short or can be played in short bursts but if there's an essential blockbuster that has come out then feel free to point it out too.

I'd hate to think I'd looked away and missed this year's Seplunky/Papers Please/Saints Row etc.

In a similar note are there any interesting new projects on the horizon? I was excited about Quadrilateral Cowboy and Dreamfall Chapters but I'm sure there must have been something else worth getting in a lather about announced more recently.

Inform me good folks of RPS, what have I missed?

I'm interested in QC and DC as well.
    I have too many game updates in my mail though. Stuff like:
    obduction
    Satellite reign
    Project free fall
    radio the universe
    reflex

And a lot more I forgot. I enjoyed my time with cloudbuilt and overgrowth arenas(alpha).
    Should get back to dark souls 2 sooner or later.

----

vane too
    http://www.friendandfoegames.com/vane/
    Last edited by Wenz; 03-09-2014 at 08:57 AM.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quadrilateral Cowboy could go either way, I have greatly enjoyed Blendo's games but found 50 flights of loving disappointing, because well... It wasn't much of a game. I know, that's not the point, but it was many things triple A games get mocked for with less shooting people in the head which, okay I appreciated.

But QC is selling itself as a game, having ludic elements like stealth and puzzles, if it doesn't hold up it will be a long fall from my hopes.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Wasteland 2 is coming out soon. Beta response was fairly positve from what i gathered (except one guy whose name escape me)
    it's succes or failure will determine the hype for Torment and Pillars of Eternity.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Really looking forward to Wasteland 2 and the surprise Shadowrun: Dragonfall – Director’s Cut at the end of the month which in the same vein as the Faster Than Light DLC will be given for free to those who already own the game, and contains new missions (including companion quests), music, and endings. Om nom nom.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to Hyper Light Drifter, I'll almost certainly suck at it but damn, it looks so pretty (although the Neon Genesis influence in some of the stuff is quite strong). Vector Thrust is another, I actually have access to this and it wasn't great last I played but hopefully it's more fun now; I'll have to install Desura again I suppose and have a look.

Oh yeah, what happened to Routine?
    Last edited by neema_t; 03-09-2014 at 02:12 AM.

Recently Released (Google them or something):
    - Divinity: Original Sin: People love it, haven't played it personally but that will soon be remedied.
    - Risen 3: Some like a lot, some don't. If you like open world RPG's (not just Skyrim) probably a good bet you'll like Risen 3.
    - Five Nights at Freddy's: This one really fits the casual experience of shortness you are looking for.
    - Lethal League: Also a casual indie game, looks like fun.

How recent are we talking here?

Dungeon of the Endless
    , now in beta, is a... turn-based strategy roguelike ARPG tower defence puzzle game? And it's amazing.

Rimworld's still in alpha but already thoroughly playable and fairly polished. Top-down free-form sci-fi survival/builder game reminsicent of Dwarf Fortress - except not made for people on DMT - and Prison Architect - except not about brutalizing people. Though it's definitely still brutal.

One Finger Death Punch. Just play it.

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Oh yeah, what happened to Routine?
    http://www.lunar-software.com/2014/0...status-update/
    Sometimes I write things

Kinda liking the look of Lords of the Fallen. Mix between Darksiders and Dark Souls.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    One Finger Death Punch. Just play it.
    Definitely agree, it's a very simple game and yet I spent hours on it. And the best part is that I still play it from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post

Dungeon of the Endless
    , now in beta, is a... turn-based strategy roguelike ARPG tower defence puzzle game? And it's amazing.
    Is it good already? I'm thinking of buying it when it comes out of Early Access, as everything I've read and seen looks good. Does it play well, is there any grind, repetition or such?

How could I forget about a hat in time and hotline miami 2.
    Thanks Indiegaf.

Once again I'm reminded of The Witness.
    Last edited by Wenz; 03-09-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hat in Time +1

Ressurection of too long dead (at least outside of Nintendo consoles) mighty 3D platformer with semi-open world genre.

Cradle -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aFjdYxoCfs

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Wasteland 2 is coming out soon. Beta response was fairly positve from what i gathered (except one guy whose name escape me)
    it's succes or failure will determine the hype for Torment and Pillars of Eternity.
    This is basically my list plus Civ After Earth. I don't think i've really progressed since 2001.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Hat in Time +1

Ressurection of too long dead (at least outside of Nintendo consoles) mighty 3D platformer with semi-open world genre.
    Sounds right down my alley.

Thanks guys, plenty to explore here I shall give some of these a go at the weekend.

Activated Node
    VA-11 HALL-A is the first game in a long while that put a smile on my face just thinking about it. The name does need to be changed though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Crypt of the Necrodancer is one of those games that's putting stress on my 'no Early Access' policy, as is Nuclear Throne.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    Crypt of the Necrodancer is one of those games that's putting stress on my 'no Early Access' policy, as is Nuclear Throne.
    These games! I have logged 20 hours on the subatomic chair. It would be more, but I am rubbish at the game and play easier games to reinflate my ego.

I have played 60 (!) hours of the Necrodancer. That makes it my most played game on Steam, and it's only been out a month. Fantastic.

Then again, I have also played at least 30 hours of Chat Noir: http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/chatnoir/chatnoir.html, so I may not be the best judge.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...364/pathologic

Pathologic remake.
    Oh boy, if it wasn't by Ice-Pick Lodge I'd would call it bullshit.

They are also making Pathologic boardgame. : o

Tabletop Pathologic is an asymmetrical stealth action game intended for 2–4 players.
    Shieeeet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    My heart is still all with The Crew. I love illicit racing so much but at the same time also want to pursue justice by playing cops to stop those crazy racers on the street. Self-conflicting, huh.

Too much Need for Speed, and Rockstar doesn't seem to be interested to bring new Midnight Club to PC (or has this franchise been itself abandoned?). Time to try something new.

I am saving up to buy a driving wheel just for it.

:0
    Looking good.
    post in progress