View Poll Results: Do you want PC Gaming Discussion to be free from political stuff?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, please put that stuff somewhere else.

6 12.00%
  • No, its part of our world now.

35 70.00%
  • I don't know what to reply. Other.

9 18.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Political content in your [PC Gaming Discussion] forum

This is a post to ask people if they are Ok with having political content related to PC gaming in the PC gaming forum.

I know some people will hate it, others not hate it. This is a way to see if theres more people of one type than the other.

I' ll just ignore it forever.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I don't really care where it goes.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    As long as its not hijacking a thread about a game/genre and is on its own thread then it should be fine. Its interesting to read sometimes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    As long as its not hijacking a thread about a game/genre and is on its own thread then it should be fine. Its interesting to read sometimes.
    The PC Gaming forum only gets enough threads that 99% of the time looking at the first page of threads gives everything posted in the past 2-3 days. Nothing is falling of the bottom because of it, and it's easy enough to ignore.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Most of it seems to display alarming levels of cognitive dissonance, insofar as a busty female character with a lot of exposed skin prompts mass eye-rolling, but killing and stealing are fair game and justified by the "story". And this is a trite response, oft trotted out, but it's true. Super Mario casts the female character as a helpless victim? He's slaughtering turtles, people. Which is the more immediate problem? All those dead turtles or gender stereotypes which cause, relatively speaking, marginal impact in the West?

We're in a period of cultural churn right now which hasn't settled out yet. Fifty years ago, alpha males ruled the roost and the college footballer went on to become a lion of business. He got the girl but treated he like a glorified maid. Now the geeks are inheriting the world and they never got the girls so it's all a bit confusing for them. Fifty years from now we're going to emerge from this current "Dark Age" and it'll all be good because technology will have a levelling effect and it won't matter whether you're a man or a woman, because either will serve as batteries in the Matrix.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    Most of it seems to display alarming levels of cognitive dissonance, insofar as a busty female character with a lot of exposed skin prompts mass eye-rolling, but killing and stealing are fair game and justified by the "story". And this is a trite response, oft trotted out, but it's true. Super Mario casts the female character as a helpless victim? He's slaughtering turtles, people. Which is the more immediate problem? All those dead turtles or gender stereotypes which cause, relatively speaking, marginal impact in the West?
    The trite counter-point, of course, is that there is currently a huge turtle slaughtering problem in the real world. And while killing and stealing are still somewhat of an issue, it's still an order of magnitude smaller in terms of the people it effects, if not in terms of the level of that effect.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I browse this forum exclusively by 'new posts' and thusly will not vote.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    I don't care, as I only peruse these threads from time to time.

But it would perhaps make more sense to put them elsewhere. That seems to work fine for such things as movies, consoles, etc.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Activated Node
    As long as people remember to be excellent to each other, I've no issue with the discussion being kept here.

I'm torn between the two. I'm concerned that the demographic for RPS is going to be overwhelmingly white and male (and hence I'd rather not be bothered here as well with stereotypical political crap from angry white internet men), but RPS editorialy fosters more inclusive and empansive views as well as drawing an audience made up of about the most expansive and non-white angry man stereotypes you could hope for in a past time still overpopulated with the said and reviled stereotype.

I was about to then say that unless it's to be curated by the editors of the site, I want no more politics here than there is already, but that's just it - there's already plenty of politics here (hello feminism) and I am more or less content with how RPS handles that debate.

I guess the question I'd like to ask is WHY this poll is here at all. There's no such thing as genuine discource in any forum I've seen and what politics I have seen on the internet is overwhelmingly awful. Last thing I want is idiots on RPS trying to ram their swivel-eyed nonsense down my throat.

Network Hub
    I'd like to vote for Option D, "Immediately delete any post containing the words 'feminism', 'Anita', or 'outrage' because they are not going to contain anything useful," but I seem to have a much lower estimation of the maximum amount of productive debate on these topics than most others here.

Complaints about "political content" have been most of the "political content" here lately. So this is funny to me.

I think that the hivemind has an informal policy that says, "if you don't like an article on the front page, just skip it." I think the same applies to the forums, you can always chose not to read a topic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This is somewhat like sex between adults.

If both parties agree, nothing* is off-limits.

*except illegal stuff

Given the recent discussions, I'd say that "politics" (whatever passes for politics in this context anyway) and gaming news have become almost inseperable. I would find it hard to discuss the merits of certain games without being able to refer to aspects of the games narrative or gameplay that touch upon "political" subjects.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    This is somewhat like sex between adults.

If both parties agree, nothing is off-limits.
    fixed it for you.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    fixed it for you.
    I personally would not allow consensual cannibalism sex. But I have not a solid reason, other that it disgust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    I personally would not allow consensual cannibalism sex. But I have not a solid reason, other that it disgust me.
    Hey, if its consentual, and you know it will kill you, why the hell not. As long as you dont pull nonconsenting people into it.

note: consent under the influence of drugs doesnt count.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Consensual death is still illegal in the UK... Other than that, bite me!
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/