Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Can't wait to see PS2 in all it's beauty! - Hardware Tech Talk

I have finally pulled the trigger on returning to the world of desktop computers. I've had a HD7850 sitting in my wardrobe for the last year and a half that I never got round to selling after I sold the rest of the build it was in.

As PS2 and this community have sucked me back into the joy of gaming I'm putting together a little micro ATX i5 build to give the graphics card a home.

Really looking forward to seeing PS2 on more than rather basic graphics settings and even somewhere close to what I see in Jags vids.

ps. I have been impressed at how my lightweight Sony laptop has handled the game.

As someone who bit the bullet a month ago (I upgraded from an HD4870 and an Core2Duo E8400 to a R270X and a i5-4690K), I can tell you it is amazing. This game is really pretty, and even more so if you're constantly at 60FPS.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Turn off the HUD and this game becomes absolutely stunning (hard to play that way though).

Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    Turn off the HUD and this game becomes absolutely stunning (hard to play that way though).
    I will definitely be attending the next survival-ism Monday we do.

Yeah, I wanted its full beauty, too.
    Got an I5 357k clocked at 4,2 Ghz and a Geforce 770.
    It looks amazing, but once you tasted smooth 60 Fps you will start to notice once you drop below it.
    Have lowered my settings and turned of shadows so I stay at 60 even in the bigger fights, should have gotten a better CPU.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    Harder, but so much more fun.
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    You make me sick. Sick, I tell you! Although hopefully within the next month or two I shall be joining the club..!

With that said, what are the thoughts on something like this for someone whose been out of the hardware loop for 6+ years?
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16883227576
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.

Looks like a decent deal, but an ssd wouldn't go amiss as it is the single most important upgrade you can make if you're still running a harddrive.

Quote Originally Posted by TWChristine View Post
    You make me sick. Sick, I tell you! Although hopefully within the next month or two I shall be joining the club..!

With that said, what are the thoughts on something like this for someone whose been out of the hardware loop for 6+ years?
    "Downgrade" to the i5-4690. If you are comfortable overlocking get the K version, if not don't. The i7 is not a gaming chip. It has hyperthreading, which is normally great, but due to that they had to slow the chip clockspeed down compared to the 4690. It's also more expensive. Great if you're rendering videos or doing other CPU intensive work that scale well with more cores, not as great for gaming.

That's not to say that it's bad, it's just less value for money. You can stick the difference in an SSD, which is highly recommended.

• The GTX 770 is a decent middle-range GPU, so that's something.
    • Most games do not care that much about your CPU, an i5 is 100% fine.
    • 16GB ram is also totally overkill if you're not doing any kind of video editing and/or heavy graphics design (I'm talking about running the whole Adobe CS in parallel), 8GB is totally fine.
    • That Solytech power supply looks funky as shit, you need a decent quality PSU if you want to avoid frying your rig. Antec's 80+ Bronze series is wonderful.
    • As said before, not having an SSD in a gaming rig is a crime in 2014, get at least 120GB, 240GB are getting cheap-ish these days.
    • Re: Peripherals, I'm quite happy with entry level Steelseries hardware. Roccat also produces good quality mice if you avoid the flashy stuff with 64000 leds in it. I love my mechanical keyboard but then it's quite expensive and some people hate it.
    • If you don't fancy a super-nerdy case or want something more sober, the Fractal Design Define R4 is the best thing you can buy, bonus points for it's decent sound-proofing.
    Planetside 2 | Miller | [RPS] Irumani
    Guild Wars 2 | Vizunah | [RPS] Morganne Melua /Namassi Melua
    Steam | [FUCA] Skiant

Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    Hmm, wondering if I'm better off just making my own then.. I figured 16GB might be much, but I also want to "future proof" myself as much as possible. And yea, I'd seen someone mention (might've been you, LaKroy) about the SSD in another thread so I think that'll have to be something I look into.

I used to have a really awesome case with tons of expansion room that I wish I'd held onto, but we were trying to "cut down on all my computer crap". Ah well, thanks for the advice everyone!
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Pretty much everything Skiant said. PSU is very important - and you need to check who actually makes them, not just the label on it. And make sure you don't buy one with an unnecessarily high wattage.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Hmm, wondering if I'm better off just making my own then.. I figured 16GB might be much, but I also want to "future proof" myself as much as possible. And yea, I'd seen someone mention (might've been you, LaKroy) about the SSD in another thread so I think that'll have to be something I look into.

I used to have a really awesome case with tons of expansion room that I wish I'd held onto, but we were trying to "cut down on all my computer crap". Ah well, thanks for the advice everyone!
    While the guys have given some totally fair advice concerning what is required for gaming, I would go ahead and add a couple points.

If you can afford it, and want to have it last that extra bit of mileage out of the rig, its completely reasonable to go for the i7 and extra ram.

My two key points would probably be:

Power supply... I would increase that power supply wattage. While youll possibly be fine, it doesnt leave much room for expansion later on. Like cephas said, dont go tooooo high, but you do want to have enough for some wiggle room. I went overboard with PSU wattage when I put mine together, but that was to account for the possibility of SLI and such.

Anything that needs to draw power from your PC should probably be thought about, e.g. the number of fans and the power of your GPU. My build (below) could have run on 650-700, but I added the wiggle room.

Hard drive... While 1tb is a good size, ive found that my 1tb hard drive filled up really quickly. Of course you can always have a clear out later on down the line, but if you can afford it, just double up.

I wasnt (too) limited by funds when I spec'd up my PC though. Could also add a blu ray drive and some other bits and pieces. Didnt go top spec, but I didnt worry too much either.

(my PC is a previous gen i7, 8gb ram, gtx570 nvidia card, 800watt I believe PSU)

Side note: Personally didnt bother with an SSD at the time as they were expensive. I havent found that the difference is life changing enough to warrant spending the extra cash... Especially not on one thats big enough to hold a decent number of games.

Im more than willing to wait the few extra seconds it takes to load stuff.

EDIT: That price looks pretty damn reasonable for the specs too
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 03-09-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

What they said above. I'm so pleased I went for an SSD in my rig - it makes a huge difference!

Also I can recommend the Define R4 as a case, provided you don't mind it having a door (never used to like the idea, doesn't bother me at all now since I hardly ever use the DVD drive). It has a fan controller built into it to (for up to 3 case fans by default I think), and it's lovely and quiet on the 3V setting. You can get a windowed version of it too, if that's your thing - I like being able to see in to mine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Yep. SSD makes a vast amount of difference. It's been recognised by the devs too. Higby mentioned a couple of weeks ago in a Reddit comment that in their testing moving PS2 from HDD to SSD provides, by a large margin, the biggest improvement in performance than any other change of any other single piece of hardware.

Which is kinda unsurprising, that game must stream data like nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I don't have much to add on the advice above, I agree that if your not doing video editing and such that 16GB is currently overkill and cheap and easy to upgrade to when needed eventually. Also if you are considering building your own then an i5 will generally perform as well as an i7 except with programs that make use of the 4 extra threads which so far is primarily video related I believe.

For gaming the general advice of the interwebs seems to be get an i5 and spend more on a graphics card as in most games it's the limiting factor not CPU.

My build is a compact one with a locked i5 (getting an i5 rather than i3 is already an indulgence, overclocking would require more expensive motherboard etc.), on a Asus H81m PLUS, 8gb ram, the aforementioned Sapphire double fanned 7850 ( which can be safely overclocked). My second indulgence was going a step up from the cheapest monitors and getting an Asus IPS monitor. No SSD yet unless I can get my old one to work at speed but it didn't before and it was too late to RMA.

Until that comment above about ps2 I always thought of SSD as a quality of life upgrade and therefore optional.

Hmm, wondering if I'm better off just making my own then..
    Building your own computer is not hard, gives the best value for the money and is also very fun!

Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    Also I can recommend the Define R4 as a case, provided you don't mind it having a door (never used to like the idea, doesn't bother me at all now since I hardly ever use the DVD drive). It has a fan controller built into it to (for up to 3 case fans by default I think), and it's lovely and quiet on the 3V setting.
    I can second the Define R series recommendation. Have one of the early versions myself and it is quiet enough.

Upgrading RAM is so easy you could almost do it with your eyes closed, but the prices are moving up and down all the time. Get 2x4GB now and wait until it gets super cheap to buy an extra couple sticks.
    Planetside 2 | Miller | [RPS] Irumani
    Guild Wars 2 | Vizunah | [RPS] Morganne Melua /Namassi Melua
    Steam | [FUCA] Skiant

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    That's not to say that it's bad, it's just less value for money. You can stick the difference in an SSD, which is highly recommended mandatory.
    Fixed that for you.

Really, SSD ftw! Best PC upgrade since flat screens. Possibly even since dedicated graphics cards. Cannot over-emphasise the importance of having a SSD for your OS and most important games. Just make sure you go for one with good longevity. Most of them are pretty good these days though, I guess.

Also, for cases, I'd really recommend the one I'm using, a Raven R03. Vertically mounted motherboard, so that all exhaust heat goes straight up, the way hot air moves naturally, and with the cool air intake at the bottom. This design coupled with the filters at the air intake also seems to make much less dust settle inside the case on your precious components. It's also handy to have all of the contacts on the top rather than on the back. It's big and spacey-looking, and ever so slightly fiddly to install in, but well worth the investment, I think. Used to have immense cooling issues before switching cases, and never had a worry since then.

Or you could get the 05, but the 04 looks like a conventional design, so why bother with that?
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Lesser Hivemind Node
    SSDs are the bomb.
    I can spend a good hour nerding about how ssds work and how they overcome inherent difficulties, forget performance, they are a gift that keeps on giving on every level.
    Disclaimer:
    Sometimes I get a bit manic and then I talk too much and wall-of-text a lot.
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.