Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Absolutely agree with this. It's really great fun playing with them, you don't see the irritability and arrogance that is otherwise rampant in online gaming, in these guys.
    Well, at least until somebody tries to sell e-shirts for how much real shirts cost.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    you don't see the irritability and arrogance that is otherwise rampant in online gaming, in these guys.
    We keep it all bottled up on the inside.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Absolutely agree with this. It's really great fun playing with them, you don't see the irritability and arrogance that is otherwise rampant in online gaming, in these guys.
    You people haven't played Heroes of Newerth against the Swedish teens, it's like hearing a dolphin trash-talking on the microphone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    PUG's with people around the world:

- UK: happy happy time lalala. I find UK people have the perfect mix of having fun and taking things seriusly enough to have fun. It feel familiar.
    - Germans: awesome, is always great to end with a pack of german, and awesomenes ensues.
    - France: horrible, always horrible. People from france is horrible at videogames. Paris is a great city, and probably the average french person is cool, but in videogames his skills are very poor, bar organization, ..argh.
    - Italians: Okish. You can find some interesting types. Good people.
    - Belges: Okish, with some cool in it. Mostly the best thing of belges is having everything good of french, withouth everything bad of frenchs. But Paris is on france, so ... tought luck.
    - USA: at first sight good people, but have his own things, and there are jokes you sould not made. Look like normal people until you make a joke about jews or something (I love jews).
    - Scandinavian: unfortunally I have not played enough. I have only good things to say about these people, but don't have enough experience to have a good idea.
    - Spanish that speak english: Is normally good. Like germans, the spanish take things seriusly, so awesomenes ensues. Too bad something is broken with the spanish stuff, and sometimes guild drama or forum drama ensues. But is a guild thing, and almost never affect groups. The 99% of the time is like playing with germans. Is awesome.
    - Spanish that don't speak english: Random. Sometimes is good, but other times is weird. I am spanish, so I can talk with then in spanish, but that don't mean I can know whats going on. It could be some forum drama. It could be a problem with the girlfriend. It could be are playing A, waiting for his friend to be online. In all mmos there are 3 spanish servers. The official one. The Pvp one. and another one. The spanish can't agree to use the same server. Also, people that don't speak english need you speaking spanish, but if a foreign joins the group, you want everyone to talk in english. At this moment the group can turn confusing wen theres a mix of people that talks english and people that don't talk english. Theres no real solution for a problem like that, so I try to not be in that situation.

In all games I love to play in public groups. Most people avoid public groups, but I enjoy to play in teams that mix people from all around the world... like tiny United Nations or International Space Stations. I like PUG's. All groups feel different, and this add a lot of variety to the games. You also learns more about games or play different gamestyles. Recently, I was in a french group in Dead Island. These french where tryiing to do the whole game ignoring quests... just farming...
    Last edited by Tei; 03-10-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    is there a similar cultural thing in Scandinavian countries, that mean PC gaming is more ingrained?
    I think it's fairly common for people to have decent PCs at home but console gaming is pretty big here as well. We do spend a lot of time in front of our PCs and were quite early with computer education in schools (as well as work places) and building up internet infrastructure which has lead to the generations born in the 80s and later being used to using computers from a young age. No idea how that actually compares to the rest of Europe though. I remember reading a study a while back about the Finns saying something like they were the populace who spoke the least to each other while having the best communication infrastructure in the world.

Btw, if we're nominating awesome people to play games with, I think the Dutch deserve a mention :)

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    - USA: at first sight good people, but have his own things, and there are jokes you sould not made. Look like normal people until you make a joke about jews or something (I love jews).
    Yeah, we're abnormal, bad people and property owners that don't cotton much to jew jokes and don't care to entertain your paradoxical jew fetish.

PuGs:

USA: Hate 'em
    Canukistan: Hate 'em, eh
    UK: Hate 'em, wut
    France: Hate 'em
    Germany: Hate 'em
    Italy: Hate 'em
    China: Hate 'em
    Russia: Hate 'em
    Ukraine: Eh, s'alright
    Korea: Hate 'em
    Japan: Hate 'em
    Australia: Good snogging
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I find it strange DICE are listed in with the rest. I thought they were about reaching the biggest mass market possible. I enjoy their games, but I don't think they are anything other than commercial.

Also, you need to change Australia to hate em. Bloody bigots!

In my experience?

American gamers: Imperialistic, Charismatic
    British gamers: Imperialistic, Financial
    German gamers: Industrious, Organized
    French gamers: Cultural, Charismatic
    Chinese gamers: Expansive, Protective
    Russian gamers: Aggressive, Expansive
    Japanese gamers: Aggressive, Philosophical
    Spanish gamers: Imperialistic, Spiritual
    Korean gamers: Organized, Protective

Network Hub
    I've had good and bad experiences with people from all over the world, so... can't we all just get along?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oak View Post
    in my experience?

American gamers: Imperialistic, charismatic
    british gamers: Imperialistic, financial
    german gamers: Industrious, organized
    french gamers: Cultural, charismatic
    chinese gamers: Expansive, protective
    russian gamers: Aggressive, expansive
    japanese gamers: Aggressive, philosophical
    spanish gamers: Imperialistic, spiritual
    korean gamers: Organized, protective
    bwahahahahhahaha

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    good one :D

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    Maybe the very best people
    playing WoW
    Think I've spotted where the logic falls down here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archonsod View Post
    That would be the logic, you've spotted. =P

Misreading "Taidan" as "Taiidan", I was outraged at his suggestion to relocate the Scandinavian peoples considering the whole Kushan debacle.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archonsod View Post
    I think you edited what I said in order to make the point I was originally making?

Quote Originally Posted by Splynter View Post
    Misreading "Taidan" as "Taiidan", I was outraged at his suggestion to relocate the Scandinavian peoples considering the whole Kushan debacle.
    Hiigara was just a setback!

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousOrange View Post
    Also, you need to change Australia to hate em. Bloody bigots!
    Did a Brit just call an Aussie a bigot?

Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Network Hub
    This thread seems quite similar to the recent East European one in so far as it's only amazing that Scandinavia has the games development industry that it does if you're under the impression that it consists of a few fishing villages in the Arctic wastes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    Nerdiness has never really had the stigma in Nordic cultures that it has in other cultures (to the point that the Swedish government itself actually runs LARPs), so there's that.
    I suspect it's this, coupled with the fact that in all seriousness it's a largely unpleasant climate so indoor activities are bound to get more attention. A strong education system drives more thoughtful entertainment, and there you go.

Regardless of the actual reason, though, I'm certainly glad the Swedes (and Central/Eastern Europeans, Russians, Germans, etc) are out there making great games, because my country (for the most part) certainly isn't anymore.