Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Dark Souls

So.. anyone getting this? Think it's the first non-pc game I've purchased in about 2 years for my dust-gathering 360. I didn't play Demon Souls, but I had a quick go on this at the EG expo (and died repeatedly, in an embarassing fashion, with people watching) and it seemed really rather brilliant.

It's refreshing to see a game that revels in being a true challenge, especially on a consoletoy where the order of the day is usually handholding and accessibility. Also the melee combat seems very meaty and intense.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Waiting for my pre-order to arrive from Amazon (7th day was the release day for PAL-version if I remember correctly). I've played around... what, half an hour of Demon's Souls at my friend's PS3, and it was rather convincing that I should get Dark Souls on my X360.

Oh, it's available on 360? How very interesting ...

Though I guess if I want it I'm going to have to get my Xbox modded to be able to play UK games, or import it for hojillions of pounds. :/
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 04-10-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I hate you all sooooo much.

I have no 360 but I want this game.
    Grr.

Official release date is tomorrow, however I got my preorder limited edition (for PS3, comes with art book, soundtrack, making of video, 'dlc' code for strategy guide and online extras) through the post this morning. I got it from shopto.net for 36 free next day delivery; they've still got the Limited Edition still in stock if people are interested.

After only getting 50% through Demon's Souls, I strangely can't wait for more punishment. The title on the back is "PREPARE TO DIE" in caps. Fitting.

I think the appeal for me is that there are no properly 'hard' PC games I've noticed recently apart from, say, Binding of Isaac which is really down to luck with drops. Everything in Demons Souls and Dark Souls is down to your skill as a player. The Telegraph review is spot-on:

Dark Souls’ grand heresy against prevailing games industry wisdom is the idea that, if you want to be rewarded in this game, you are going to have to do something worthy of reward. 2011 has been the year in which many developers have found riches in creating game experiences that challenge us not to excel but rather to mindlessly persevere. Increase the abilities of your avatar by simply playing the game every day and you will eventually prevail, they say.

Dark Souls, by contrast, is a game in which you must improve yourself before progress can be won. In that sense it is as orthodox as the earliest arcade games and yet, in sticking fast to this fundamental, feels like the freshest game of the year. It’s a game that asks you to look before you leap, to learn enemy attack patterns before launching your own offensives, to observe.
    Shame these will never come out on PC as the RPS guys really should be playing and reviewing this. It's the antithesis of "consolitis" and will make Skyrim look like a walk in fairlyland. It's one of those rare games that drives things forwards.

If you're one of those people that professes to being good at games, If you like challenge and enjoy raising your game, you need to be playing this.
    Last edited by Torn; 06-10-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Network Hub
    If I remember correctly, From Software were "considering" a PC port, so it might happen eventually. They're probably one of the most "PC" console devs anyway, so it wouldn't be surprising.

I have Demon's Souls and am bad at it, which has made me hesitant to get this one. It does sound overall superior to it, though, if said to be a little more on the "unfair" side than its predecessor.
    Last edited by cosmicolor; 06-10-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicolor View Post
    If I remember correctly, From Software were "considering" a PC port, so it might happen eventually. They're probably one of the most "PC" console devs anyway, so it wouldn't be surprising.

I have Demon's Souls and am bad at it, which has made me hesitant to get this one. It does sound overall superior to it, though, if said to be a little more on the "unfair" side than its predecessor.
    Hmm I've heard it's less tedious as the campfire mechanic means you have checkpoints rather than starting at the very beginning of each level (and relying on having managed to open various locked door / bridge / etc. level shortcuts).

I'll update tomorrow after having played it this evening after work :)

Network Hub
    That's definitely helped from the sounds of it. When I said "unfair" I meant that there were supposed to be more enemies that could murder you fast, more situations that people are finding a little tough, but I've yet to hear "tedious". But then again I'm only going off of the Something Awful thread for impressions.

I do like the sound of the Covenant system, adds some more spice to gameplay and gives more of a context for the PvP stuff, such as the one covenant that has you hunting down players who breaks theirs, or one that allows you to summon powerful enemies into other player's games, or being an invisible forest assassin.

Ordered at Shopto on pre-order too and it was dispatched yesterday first class, so I'm rather hoping it's waiting at home for me right now.

I'm really looking forward to this, because it contains several things I really like -

Tactical meaningful melee combat, where it's about timing and precision and being hit actually fucking hurts.

Open World with a focus on unguided exploration - the freedom to explore and survive in an oppressive, yet sometimes beautiful seamless environment - I don't really have to explain why that appeals to me.

Intriguing use of multiplayer - they've jsut absolutely gone out of their way to eliminate gameyness from the multiplayer, to the point where using voicechat kicks you to the main menu. You are an isolated individual struggling through a personal hell, what brief glimpses and interactions you get with other players aren't some happy romp, they're a silent agreement of cooperation for mutual benefit (except you can subvert it and leave misleading messages or invade other people's world and assassinate them on rare occasions).

Showing not telling - I do creative writing as part of my degree and we're repeatedly told that for our storytelling we need to 'show not tell'. Po-faced 'straight to camera' exposition is used all to often in games. Here people are reticent to talk to you at all and portentous riddles, scrawled messages, environmental and character art slowly reveal the world around you, but never to the degree where you know so much the mystery and isolation of the place are lifted. I find that quite refreshing versus games where underwritten or overwritten lore is shovelled down our throats.
    Last edited by Jockie; 06-10-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: SPELLINK

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Desperately awaiting my pre-order (PS3) to arrive.

Finished Demon's Souls twice (well, ALMOST finished NG+ anyway) and it's already in my top 10 of all time I reckon, so I can't wait for this.

Well it turned out the 2nd hand 360 I have was at some point modded and the dashboard update on the disc (i really dont use it often, so it was probably using 1 year old firmware) has entered an unbreakable update cycle! Joy of joys.

Had to order a 2nd hand 360 off ebay that won't arrive til monday. Gutted as I was looking forward to a weekend of dying, misery, frustration and occasional elation. Nevermind, I'm sure Rage and the FM12 demo will tide me over til monday.

And on Twitter

Network Hub
    I consider it a crime against humanity that these games are not on the PC.

It's difficult to have a personal experience when one is sitting on a sofa, ten feet away. And then one has roommates who constantly walk back and forth, severing any visceral connection one might have developed. I wonder if we can organize a petition to see this ported.

My order has been despatched!

*explodes with excitement*

My pre-order from shopto arrived yesterday. Played it all last night (only taking time out to lose a BB match).

Really, really like it. Lovely bleak, nihilistic atmosphere.

Have to admit I am a little surprised that I am not finding it more difficult. It has certainly taken a little practice to get the hang of it, but certainly not the hardest game ever. So long as you play carefully, and patiently it isn't too bad. Furthermore you only lose souls and humanity when you die, so moral is to not stockpile these (spend them if you got them).

Bosses are hard, but only generally until you realise the trick of killing the one you are on.

Maybe I have yet to reach the hard parts, only up to the undead parish so far.

No, that's normal. It's a tough but fair game.

Until you get the hang of what you should be doing and how to do it, it's very, very difficult. Once you're used to things, it becomes a cautious game of exploration and risk assessment. If you've played Demons' Souls then you'll already have the experience to jump into the latter mindset.

The supermarket wasn't stocking it today, so I'll probably wait a bit and then order from amazon. That LE manual is very appealing, though.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    No, that's normal. It's a tough but fair game.

Until you get the hang of what you should be doing and how to do it, it's very, very difficult. Once you're used to things, it becomes a cautious game of exploration and risk assessment. If you've played Demons' Souls then you'll already have the experience to jump into the latter mindset.

The supermarket wasn't stocking it today, so I'll probably wait a bit and then order from amazon. That LE manual is very appealing, though.
    The LE manual? Do you mean the mini-guide? It is only digital, and it just a taster of the full guide.

TBH the whole LE is a bit of a disappointment. The guide is more an advert for the full-guide (which does look really nice though), cardboard case for the box, making of (I will never watch), soundtrack (that you can download easily), and the artbook (nice but small).

I know I shouldn't really complain, as it was all free, but not getting the LE is no big deal.

Network Hub
    Demon's Souls is sucking me in again. Getting really tempted to invest in this now... but I have to spend so much money very soon :(

This game is amazing.

Few tips for beginners

Not sure if anyone needs the advice of a beginner like me, but it might help someone:

- When levelling, improve your endurance. Lets you block, attack, and dodge more.

- Get the drake sword, helps so much (can point you the right way if you need).

- Plunging attack is excellent. If a boss is giving you trouble see if you can use this particular attack.

- On the gargoyle boss, practice until you can dodge its attacks. Then attempt to kill boss whilst human. This will allow you to summon help before you go into the boss. Without help this boss is 10x harder.

Really loving this game :)