Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LAN party - Game suggestions?

I will be having a LAN party with friends (a maximum of 6, minimum of 4) coming up in November, which is always a fun thing, even when most of us are 30 or older now. However, we tend to fail big time in thinking up great games to play that work well over a LAN. The biggest bottleneck is the old age. Of the PC's that is. Most computers are some 4 to 5 years old (sporting early dual-cores, 8800GT's and the like). So, what games do you guys recommend? Or we'll end up playing CoD's again... *shudder*. Genres liked: FPS, RTS, Co-op stuff. Genres hated: Flighty, racy or too strategic games.
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

The two staples of gaming excellence at the LAN thing me and my mates do every couple of weeks are 'Titan Quest' and 'Killing Floor'.

They both support up to six players, and the system demands aren't too high.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Magicka has LAN functionality, if you're looking for a filler when you're 4 and waiting for the other two. (Note: the Hoster at least needs to be in Steam offline mode.) Definitely runs on your machines.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Obscure Node
    Anything Valve-related. L4D2 especially.

Also: For RTS: Starcraft 2 or Supreme Commander (1 or 2). It's fun ganging up on an AI.

Enjoy your LAN party. It's the only time I get to mix sleep-deprivation and game-playing (with the blessing of my beloved wife, who doesn't like me spending so much time on the computer).
    Last edited by jezcentral; 05-10-2011 at 12:59 PM.

I've always had good luck with Flatout 2. It's a fun racing game which is quick to pick up and fun to play even if you suck at it because you can concentrate on crashing into the other players and just generally having a laugh. It's also a fun change fro the usual FPS/RTS fare that is on offer.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine — couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

You might have luck with the freemake of Warzone 2100, or one of the zillions of mods for Spring (originally a Total Annihilation remake, now endlessly moddable)

I also recommend Chaos, in particular Martin Brownlow's Atari ST port, but you don't really need a LAN for that. Great quick game for the more cerebral types, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Oh, and how could I forget our office-favourite Warsow, which is basically a completely free Quake 2 remake which is amazingly fun for deathmatching. So fluid, and full LAN support.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Also on the RTS front is Warcraft III, either vanilla or some of the many amazing custom maps.

Does your group tend towards competitive, co-op, or team-versus?
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    With small numbers co-op games are often a good idea, so have a look at Co-Optimus' list (filter by LAN games).

Activated Node
    The Hidden, a Half-Life 2 mod perfect for your setup. It's one vs the rest, with the one being practically invisible, but only wielding a knife. The rest have shotguns or smgs. It's an excellent LAN game, which is bound to give a few scares.

Oh oh! I've just remembered...

I can't remember what it was called, but the single most hillarious thing I've ever played at a LAN was a Half-Life mod we affectionately called "The Box Game". Everybody was a crate in a map filled with crates, some moving on conveyor belts, some bobbing in water, to create movement. Think Assassin's Creed meets Musical Statues.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    The Hidden is great, though usualy requires someone with practice to make being the Hidden insteresting. Warcraft 3 is great, as well as Sup Com. L4D and Magicka are both 4 players max, so that mightnt work out (Though you could do l4f 3v3 if 6, or have two teams of three try to finish first on the same map, add up times at end, team with lowest wins)
    Old computers will crush Starcraft.
    I dont know how it would do, but isnt Swat 4 well loved for some nice tactical co op shooting?

And there is also this sight that could give some good ideas:
    http://www.co-optimus.com/

Also, i find borderlands to be very fun with 3 other people. Very fun indeed. Its easy to get into, everyone can do their part, there are co op mechanics in there, and random loot lets you have those lovely "discussions" about how should get that new fire rifle.
    "I mean, I need it most, I use rifles. Even if I am the healer. You got the last gun, remember?"
    Only alot less civil. :D

If price is an issue, TF2 is free to play, and small teams can work in Koth mods, or better, Arena.
    Last edited by Peter Radiator Full Pig; 05-10-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Prophunt, Capt.?

A bit like it, Alex, but Prop Hunt is just hide and seek. "The box game" was free-for-all, so you had that brilliant tension of looking for others whilst knowing they were looking for you. Firing your rocket at a crate which turned out to be just a crate and realising you'd just given your position away created genuine, hillarious terror.

Edit - GOT IT! It was "Boxwar".

Seriously, it's absolutely perfect for LAN parties. It's like Alien mixed with one of those ridiculous chase scenes from the Benny Hill Show.
    Last edited by Capt. Eduardo del Mango; 05-10-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Also, I remember Giants: Citizen Kabuto being a lot of fun with a few people. 5 Meccs vs 1 Kabuto should keep you occupied and laughing for a while. (Link is to the GOG version.)

Obscure Node
    Swat 4 perhaps? Dota 3v3?

Unreal Tournament (the first one, 2204, or 3)
    Alien Swarm?
    Supreme Commander!
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Network Hub

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Afraid the last LAN game I ever enjoyed was Diablo II, which might be a bit long for an evening. Some superb suggestions in this thread, tell us how it worked out!

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Another vote for Supreme Commander.