Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    No LAN party can ever go wrong with Unreal Tournament 2004!
    Screw UT99 and UT3. UT2004 for the win!

UT99 I choose you Warcow!
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Warcraft 3 with the Warlocks custom map.

You're welcome.

This video doesn't really do it justice, but I think the description "a bunch of wizards running around on lubed-up glass trying to blast each other into a pit of lava" does
    Last edited by sabrage; 05-10-2011 at 10:11 PM.

I second Warsow! It's built on a modified Quake 2 engine, but it looks pretty nice, and plays a bit like Quake 3 with walljumping. You could also try Nexuiz, or OpenArena (I'm not overly familiar with the latter, but I think it's pretty much Quake 3 with new (and therefore legally distributable) art assets.)

edit: for non-free alternatives, UT2004 is another good choice, or Quake 3 of course.

Network Hub
    Today on campus I was reminiscing about the games we used to play in high school on the decrepit old windows 95 machine at the back of the room.

I managed to get a few people playing Scorched Earth with me. Ah, the memories. Scorched3D is actually pretty fun in LAN.
    And Descent rebirth! I never get tired of Descent.

There are good WCIII customs, but the real question is:
    Why aren't you playing Men of War? I don't think there's ever a good answer to that...

Wow, lots of good suggestions there, thanks all! I will surely get some of those. Though wish me luck on convincing my friends to actually spent money on games... Cheap bastards.

Some other games I'm pondering on:

- Company of heroes
    - Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 multiplayer (if it's easy to fix that is)
    - Serious Sam 1 / 2
    - Mount & blade (is it even playable on LAN? Do I need mods?)
    - Red Faction Guerilla (or is there a more fun multiplayer game?)
    - The ship 1 / 2 (is it fun with so little players? And is LAN possible?)

And I swear if any of my friends comes up with "hey, I still have Medal of Honour: Allied Assault, we could play that, right?" I can be dragged to a sanitarium.
    Last edited by Olero; 06-10-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olero View Post
    And I swear if any of my friends comes up with "hey, I still have Medal of Honour: Allied Assault, we could play that, right?" I can be dragged to a sanitarium.
    Excuse me, but MoH:AA is awesome. If all of you have it, play it!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    - Company of heroes
    A friend and I bought this in last month's steam sale, and I did a blind 1v1 against him (not even doing the tutorial first) and I have to say we had a BLAST. We ended up playing bot games for about 7 hours straight, and I've devoted a lot of time to it in the several days since. I was really surprised by how pick-up-and-play it was, especially since we're both complete noobs. I mainly looked at my buildings and decided "Tanks! I want tanks!" and stormed his base with my iron army of doom. Highly recommended, and I suck at RTS.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    The ship is highly flawed. Its a great, great idea, with terrible execution. I think Assassins Creed Brotherhood (If thats the right one) perfected that sort of deadly hide and seek game.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Wow, lots of good suggestions there, thanks all! I will surely get some of those. Though wish me luck on convincing my friends to actually spent money on games... Cheap bastards.
    Hmmm, I thought we'd be avoiding this issue... The friends of mine that used to have an eight-computer LAN permanently set-up certainly did.

A big thing I would recommend (which you're already on track for) is to decide what you want to play beforehand, and get everyone to install everything they need before the night. If you're buying the games, make sure you all patch to the same version, if you're pirating use the same torrents and cracks so you don't have any problems there (I don't personally endorse pirating at all, and haven't since I got my first job, but if your friends are pirates or tight-arses it will probably be easier). A lesser issue is to get everyone to set their controls across all games and play the tutorials if they're new experiences. Just little things to make it all go smoothly.
    There's nothing worse than the whole LAN grinding to a halt because Dave in the corner is having trouble getting the game to run.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Obscure Node
    If you're looking for a quick competitive tycoon game, try Sid Meier's Railroads (I think this is only 4 player max though), or, if you'd like something more complex and time-consuming, try OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe - free and "unlimited" amount of max players).

I loved The Ship when there were full servers, but playing with only 5 other people probably wouldn't be all that fun.

Otherwise, two other games that come to the top of my head that are Sins of the Solar Empire and Heroes of Might and Magic (1-4), but those both take quite a few hours to play.

Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Radiator Full Pig View Post
    I think Assassins Creed Brotherhood (If thats the right one) perfected that sort of deadly hide and seek game.
    *Ahem*

I refer the Rt. Hon. gentleman back to my earlier post and Boxwars.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Alrighty, it's that time of the year again (well, actually, it's still 2 months off, but preparation is crucial :). Our annual LAN-party is coming up again. Anyone with good suggestions, aside from the great suggestions further in this thread, to add to our playlist. We will be with a whopping 7 players, if anything goes according to plan, so games that suit that many players would be great. But any suggestion is welcome!
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

I've been trying to get a friend or two together for a game of Minecraft over LAN, because I imagine it's much more fun to play it all together at once. I find that the problem with multiplayer servers is that it's very unlikely that everyone is online and doing the same thing, so I'd really like just starting a fresh world and cooperating for survival with a bunch of friends, rather than dropping into a server where an entire city has already sprung up around the spawn point.

By the way, does anyone know if it's doable to play a LAN game between Windows and Mac computers?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I repeat myself when it comes to COOP/LAN games but i don't care.

OFP
    OGR + both expansion packs
    SWAT 3/4
    Rainbow Six Raven Shield

Not really LAN play, but I used to have a great time playing Discworld MUD with my friends while we all sat in the same room. If you're still two months out, you have plenty of time for everyone to start a character (free) and see if they get into it. If you want to play from the same IP address as each other, there's a bit of messing around the first time - a liaison has to give you multiplayer allows. Groups (which share XP) can be any size, and going around smushing things together is usually entertaining.

What worked / ended up happening last time you got together? I've read back over the thread, and I'm curious as to how it turned out.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

For co-op Killing Floor is always a great choice.

For PvP, Left 4 Dead 1 or 2.

For all of those things and DM, Serious Sam 3.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Chivalry. Get some 4packs while its 50 % off!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Lan games need to support wide skill brackets, one vs many game mode and the temptation to toy with your prey make Hidden: Source uniquely suited, it swings between horror and comedy but always remains a psychological playground for you to consider your opponent's personality.

Keeping it on a 'hide-and-seek' tip Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory has a rich asymmetrical competitive multiplayer which while having a fairly high entry skill level has great reach for creativity and the proceeding laughs.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/