Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    For coop NOLF2 is brilliant. I can't remember the player limit though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Empire Earth was always great as a LAN RTS. And available on GoG. I tended to built lots of walls that would piss off many of friends.

The old C&C games might be something as well. I used to love Red alert 2, though I don't know how well it runs on newer systems/OS.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely look into Hidden: Source (never heard of it before...) and will add Empire Earth and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory to the playlists. Of the other suggestions, I already had a lot of them, but it's good to see them mentioned again to remind me of them.

Anything else? :-D
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

We always play:

Flatout 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Team Fortress 2
    Dota 2/League of Legends

Then on occasion stuff like this:
    Soldat
    Robot Arena
    Warcraft 3
    Red Alert 2 (hard to get working nowadays)

If you like space sims starlancer is a blast on coop. Just make sure to play on hard, that game becomes a piece of cake as soon as you have someone competent as a wingman.

I wish that everybody who suggested Supreme Commander was my neighbor for a quick and easy lan session whenever we have the time. We are too few.

Sven Co-Op is pretty great as a co-op campaign (Hl1 mod), else the Serious Sam games have a pretty decent co-op campaign.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    My favorite games for local multi-player (Nintendo consoles/emulations aside) are:

SWAT 4 is an amazing LAN game. It works best with enough people to have two 3-4 person teams, but I've had plenty of fun with a single team of 4 or two teams of 2. Having multiple teams means you can start at multiple locations/entrances in most of the levels which is both more interesting and a big advantage. However, smaller teams will probably die so it's a trade-off.

Left 4 Dead (2) is one of the better 4-player co-op games out there.

Artemis is a wonderful Star Trek style Bridge Simulator game in which you and your comrades command a space ship. 4 is a decent sized crew--you can leave out non-essential personnel or have someone double-up on roles (doubling roles gets interesting if you pick two fairly complicated ones ...). Some of the roles can be taken on by multiple players as well (you can have a Helmsman/Science Officer and a Weapons Officer/Science Officer) which allows you to focus on multiple tasks at once more efficiently as a team. You could even each give yourselves a full ship and try not to die horribly. :) I seem to recall that there are community designed missions ... I forget if there are any non-random missions that come with the game, but we have the most fun with customizing the random/procedural mission generator. It's $40, but it is DRM-free and the creator gives explicit permission for you to share the game with your fellow bridge members--he just doesn't want you to distribute the game willy-nilly for obvious reasons. You can buy it for yourself and share it during the gaming session, or split the cost with your mates. In the FAQ he also claims to offer a refund if you're unsatisfied, but I don't know anyone who has tried to get one.

The Unreal series makes for fantastic LAN play as well.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardust’s Music Sounds Better With You. There’s lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context that’s cheating -bull0

Almost that time of year again (yay!) and I was wondering a couple of things:

- How good is the multiplayer of the original Men of War? And can it be played with 6 to 8 people? I'm asking since it's still on sale.
    - If it happens to be in a sale; will Men of War: Assault Squad run good enough on old (± 2007 builts, with 512/1Gb graphic cards) computers ? For it seems even more fun in multiplayer
    - Any good Splinter Cell games that have fun multiplayer for 6 to 8 people? All I could find was 2 or 4 player multiplayer, which is not enough to keep the group happy I think...
    - Is it possible to set up a local tournament for Frozen Synapse? Seems like fun to me!

And of course: Any good suggestions for LAN-games that aren't already mentioned in this topic? (not too demanding system reqs. and 6 to 8 player compatible)

Cheers!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Assult Android Cactus (Alpha/Beta) looks fun, check out the demo. (Could do 2 teams of 4 and compare scores)
    Risk of Rain (check out demo/videos if there are any). (guess the same 2 teams here?)

Not really got any other ideas right now. I would have said Colbalt, but that's stagnated at the moment and in dire need of an update (to add Towerdefence/Moab modes for co-op play which tends to be win win in multiplayer as no one "looses" but you still get competition).

Team Fortress 2 is really good at the point where people start hating each other for whatever reason. If there's a problem like this, always remember TF2.

Also, Guns of Icarus is a really good game to have something different for a while. It can have up to 4 people per ship, and if in the same place, communication should also work.

Network Hub
    UT3 aged pretty well and have tons of interesting custom maps.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Olero View Post
    Almost that time of year again (yay!) and I was wondering a couple of things:

- How good is the multiplayer of the original Men of War? And can it be played with 6 to 8 people? I'm asking since it's still on sale.
    - If it happens to be in a sale; will Men of War: Assault Squad run good enough on old (± 2007 builts, with 512/1Gb graphic cards) computers ? For it seems even more fun in multiplayer
    - Any good Splinter Cell games that have fun multiplayer for 6 to 8 people? All I could find was 2 or 4 player multiplayer, which is not enough to keep the group happy I think...
    - Is it possible to set up a local tournament for Frozen Synapse? Seems like fun to me!

And of course: Any good suggestions for LAN-games that aren't already mentioned in this topic? (not too demanding system reqs. and 6 to 8 player compatible)

Cheers!
    We played original Men of War with "Commanders of War 2" mod to make it even more "brutal" (good stuff is good, shit is now real shit). I'd say Assault Squad should run on 2007 computers quite fine, i think my last one was from those times and i even hosted 6 player games at times with it.

If you want to mod the assault squad, German Soldiers Mod (GSM) is similar to that commanders of war 2. More stuff, more toys. Still great fun unmodded as well though (stealing a friends AT gun to shoot his teammates tank into rear..."jack.....WHY THE ¤#%& DONT YOU KEEP YOUR STUFF SAFE!".

Or as a friend saw in his first game ever: Guy drives a minesweeper tank along a trench, making german mincemeat.

I compiled a list of our favourite LAN-games. Low system requirements and portability is a must. Players must be able to copy a folder and doubleclick the exe file.

* Doom. Get a doom2.wad-file, a source port and a lot of mappacks (see doomworld.com)
    * Quake 3. Get some mods (threewave CTF, rocket arena, ...)
    * Urban Terror. Free quake3 engine game. It looks like a realistic shooter, but it has crazy fast gameplay (strafejumping, walljumping) www.urbanterror.info
    * Battlefield 1942
    * Team Fortress Classic
    * Swat4 cannot be mentioned enough
    * Counterstrike: Source

* Re-Volt. Great racegame with RC cars and powerups. You need some preparation to get this to work. But it should work on all Windows machines
    * Ignition. A personal favourite. Getting this to work is a bit tricky. We used to play this a LOT before Windows 7 existed. On some Windows7 machines we can get this game to work but not all. We get best results with 3dfx patch and glide wrapper nglide. It uses the IPX protocol for networking. (typing this down makes me realise nobody is going to do this! ) I'm going to experiment with the DOS-version and see how networking/performance goes with dosbox.
    * Trackmania Nations / Canyon / ... take your pick, they are all great.

Network Hub
    Brutal Doom. Hilarious in lan, spcd's post reminded me (we played it few months ago on lan, it's awesome).

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've decided to buy the 'War of ages' bundle for everyone, so we can play some Men of War. Will look into Brutal Doom, never heard of it. And I'll look into (my) Frozen Synapse (question) myself, since I've got multiple computers.

The LAN-party is currently postponed til the end of March, so hopefully plenty of good sales/bundles to get until then. But in the meantime; keep those suggestions coming! :)

Obscure Node
    The original Half life deathmatch has better weapons and maps than any HL2 deathmatch or mod that I've seen. It's much more slapstick than HL2. You get crazier weapons (alien that spits poison balls, gun that shoots bees etc.) and there are great environmental sets that you can use to your advantage or die horribly in if you don't know what you're doing.

The maps aren't "Balanced" at all so depending on where you spawn and what weapons you are good at you can dominate one minute and be killed 5 times in a row the next.

The whole setup leads to wacky good times in my opinion

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    OGR - Original Ghost Recon!! Even GRAW 1 & 2 is good,not as first one but still quite good in my opinion.

Rainbow Six:Raven Shield!

Swat 3 & 4

OFP / Arma games ?

Obscure Node
    Does anyone play FIFA?