EA cancels Green Man Gaming sale

According to the Green Man Gaming blog, their 10-day EA sales spectacular was shot down immediately by EA for selling the games outside the UK. I'm disappointed, is this a common occurrence?
    10 Days of EA – Day One!
    EA Games Now Region Restricted
    EA Regional Restrictions – Update

"GMG would like to make it clear that this error was the fault of GMG, and not EA. The GMG team are delighted to be working with Electronic Arts in the UK"

Activated Node
    Looks like the news has been deleted. The bottom two links just go to 404 pages

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    "GMG would like to make it clear that this error was the fault of GMG, and not EA. The GMG team are delighted to be working with Electronic Arts in the UK"
    Who no there isn't a gun pointed at my head! What would make you think that?
    "A victory so bitter it would be better we had not won," --General Transh

The Devpit: For all your literature, gaming, IT and defenestration needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Slychocobo View Post
    Looks like the news has been deleted. The bottom two links just go to 404 pages
    Here is a Eurogamer summary.

Network Hub
    I know the one thing the intertubes does not need is more lawyers (let alone the armchair variety such as I) but, whilst I can understand a possibility of blocking worldwide sales, I can't see how blocking sales within the EU would fly past free market regulations?

A citizen of the EU disallowed from buying goods (sorry, services) from a UK operation? How is this any different to, eg, a UK pub landlady being disallowed from purchasing foot-that-ball footage from Greece?

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
    I know the one thing the intertubes does not need is more lawyers (let alone the armchair variety such as I) but, whilst I can understand a possibility of blocking worldwide sales, I can't see how blocking sales within the EU would fly past free market regulations?

A citizen of the EU disallowed from buying goods (sorry, services) from a UK operation? How is this any different to, eg, a UK pub landlady being disallowed from purchasing foot-that-ball footage from Greece?
    Drifting off topic slightly, but similarly it is odd that the divide and regionalization between the UK and the rest of the EU has not been considered a trade barrier hindering free flow of goods. UK retailers could surely claim that they lose sales because of this?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
    It could simply be that EA are not willing to support purchases from other regions. If you notice on sites like GamersGate or even the Apple Store, a number of apps have UK versions, International ones and so forth. I don't know exactly why that is, but I'm sure there's a reason. There's also the thing with Germany and their ratings system (USK?) and EA may also want to avoid problems there.

Of course, it could be that EA want to remain in the good books with other European distributors.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    More regional restrictions! Just what the internet was created for! Yay!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm fine with regional restrictions on game sales, there just has to be one rule: you can only do it if you source all your staff, hardware and contractors from the same country you are based in.

It's one thing being told I can't buy a game more cheaply online from another territory because of regional pricing, it's another when I do buy that game, have problems with it, call support and get transferred to a call centre in India.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    It could simply be that EA are not willing to support purchases from other regions. If you notice on sites like GamersGate or even the Apple Store, a number of apps have UK versions, International ones and so forth. I don't know exactly why that is, but I'm sure there's a reason.
    Usually publishing rights. Generally speaking, if you want to make the most money from a game you don't hand over the rights to publish worldwide to a single publisher, you parcel off the licenses for different territories and sell each separately to the highest bidder. So a lot of the time it's simply that a given publisher might only have a license to sell the game within a particular territory.

Drifting off topic slightly, but similarly it is odd that the divide and regionalization between the UK and the rest of the EU has not been considered a trade barrier hindering free flow of goods
    Software is not goods, and to be honest I suspect 99.9% of the time it's not so much a barrier as sheer laziness - the UK can use the US version, Europeans on the other hand tend to need a version in their own language.

Quote Originally Posted by archonsod View Post
    Software is not goods, and to be honest I suspect 99.9% of the time it's not so much a barrier as sheer laziness - the UK can use the US version, Europeans on the other hand tend to need a version in their own language.
    How can people from outside the US get these without going through proxies? Going through proxies is an added cost* for the customer and they risk running afoul of the terms of service from the respective digital distribution platform.

*cost here refers to time costs and sometimes monetary costs.