Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Activated Node
    I don't think it's fair to contribute the love of Steam entirely to Valve's games. I thought HL2 was incredibly dull and TF2 was ruined with the ridiculous focus on hats and the store. You've also got to compare Valve to EA itself to really know why people hate it so. Steam handles all your games and more games allow it to handle updates. Origin doesn't, it's new so it's understandable but it still doesn't.
    Steam lets you change your name freely and upload your own avatar. A simple thing but Origin doesn't. It feels like Xbox Live.
    Valve has a great reputation for treating PC gamers well. EA has a pretty bad reputation in general.
    Valve has shown time and time again that they're happy to promote even competitors games evenly or even more so than their own games. EA have the shareholders excuse so they can't be expected to play fair.
    Valve have a history of supporting modding. EA are actively trying to kill modding of their games.
    Valve's got a reputation for releasing free content updates. EA kinda do with BC2 but otherwise no.
    Valve don't base prices or availability on region (although publishers do when they put games on Steam). EA do.
    Steam's been around for years now so there's a loyalty factor that comes with it. Origin is just starting now.
    Get banned for cheating in a Valve game, you get banned from VAC servers only. Get caught joining an illegitimate BF3 server, your account can be closed.
    On top of this most people have gotten used to steam and built up a library and community (sorry guys, you who don't like steam are the minority) so it's a big deal jumping over to Origin for one game, which Valve didn't have a problem with because it had no competitors.

So basically my point is, it's not just "Steam VS Origin" It's Valve VS EA.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    The hate for Origin befuddles me given the fact that the service has just launched and will require some time to iron out the kinks. Steam was little more than a buggy turd when it launched.
    And when Steam launched, there was a hell of a lot of hate for that too, and I don't think it's unfair to suggest that all that complaining basically let Valve know what needed fixing and improving.

So I can see both sides: yes, Origin isn't that much worse than Steam, and probably better than Steam was on release, and most people love Steam now... but we all slated Steam when it launched too so why shouldn't Origin get the same baptism of fire?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    no not really. I have my pc configured exactly the way I want.
    You are not everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    The "data mining clauses" were blown out of proportion:
    Indeed. It made me laugh that at no point not one of the sites going ape about it (including RPS for shame) at any point bothered to consult with a legal expert to clarify what any of it meant but instead went with the spreading FUD option instead. Fox News journalism disinformation FTW (never mind clearing the air, lets get those page clicks hey). That there are still people running around believing that EA is somehow going to be viewing your emails and jpeg collection and turning everyone against them is both tragic and hilarious tbh. Bobby Kotick will be laughing all the way to the bank.

So basically my point is, it's not just "Steam VS Origin" It's Valve VS EA.
    All I see is a list of general blanket statements with little more than personal opinion behind them, coupled with an unhealthy dose of lazy anthromorphization thrown in for good measure.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 11-10-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    All I see is a list of general blanket statements with little more than personal opinion behind them, coupled with an unhealthy dose of lazy anthromorphization thrown in for good measure.
    So are you going to clarify which points I made were wrong and how? I stated some pretty clear facts there and I'd like to know how all of them have little more than personal opinion behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by rangst View Post
    So are you going to clarify which points I made were wrong and how? I stated some pretty clear facts there and I'd like to know how all of them have little more than personal opinion behind them.
    The earth revolving around the Sun is a 'fact'. Professing the notion that Valve always = good, and EA always = bad, not so much.

Valve has a great reputation for treating PC gamers well. EA has a pretty bad reputation in general.
    Really? So L4D2 was treating PC gamers well? I'm fairly sure quite a few PC Gamers didn't see it that way at all. Also what exactly are EA guilty of in recent years? Dead Space? Mirrors Edge? Mass Effect? Dragon Age? Sims 3? None of those are bad game franchises. They might not necessarily be your particular cup of tea, but they are all highly polished gaming experiences. If RAGE had been published by EA, do you think it would of come out in the sorry state it did? Not a chance (Zenimax need to learn2QA). Even if you don't necessarily subscribe to EAs game design approach, there's no denying that they put the emphasis on making sure things run.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 11-10-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Activated Node
    Yeah you're right. I guess Origin is a good service. After all EA did publish a few solid games lately.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rangst View Post
    Get banned for cheating in a Valve game, you get banned from VAC servers only. Get caught joining an illegitimate BF3 server, your account can be closed.
    Didn't you read the STEAM EULA? I quoted part of it for you on the last page. According to the EULA, Valve can terminate your account if you're a cheat without warning. Here it is again:

Valve may terminate your Account or a particular Subscription for any conduct or activity that Valve believes is illegal, constitutes a Cheat, or which otherwise negatively affects the enjoyment of Steam by other Subscribers.
    Wow, that's pretty ambiguous! "...negatively affects the enjoyment of Steam by other Subscribers." Wonder what constitutes "negative"? Of course this doesn't matter because it never happens in practice... but I can put that exact same argument to Origin.

Fox News journalism disinformation FTW (never mind clearing the air, lets get those page clicks hey).
    This is true of pretty much any media site. Most news reporting is biased and needs to be stripped to sort fact from fiction and speculation. I've noticed though that people will only ever accuse an opposing viewpoint of being biased, anything supporting their own viewpoint is a fair, balanced judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    This is true of pretty much any media site. Most news reporting is biased and needs to be stripped to sort fact from fiction and speculation. I've noticed though that people will only ever accuse an opposing viewpoint of being biased, anything supporting their own viewpoint is a fair, balanced judgement.
    Personally whether I'm for of against something, I prefer the reporting on it to be factual and informative tbh, rather than not.

Probable Replicant

Okay guys enough with the bickering, its understandable that some people will prefer Steam over Origin. there are some that prefer GFWL over steam so there will those that prefer Origin over steam. But heck. Its personal choice! if they want to stick by steam and buy it all off steam at a higher price. So be it! After all. its easy and convenient. Its like saying your not going to go to the corner shop because its slightly more expensive so your going to go to the Tesco's down the road because its a few pennies cheaper.
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by slick_101 View Post
    there are some that prefer GFWL over steam
    we call those people invalids right
    a grumpy dude with a PHD in videogame debating

That still doesn't answer my question - why is steam considered important in the buying decision of BF3?

I mean, love or hate, my question stands. The statement "I won't buy BF3 unless its on steam" thats ridiculous.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirmetrium View Post
    The statement "I won't buy BF3 unless its on steam" thats ridiculous.
    i guess because people want to get a message across to them that origin offers nothing that steam doesn't have, and that they have no reason to start using it alongside steam other than the fact that ea wants their games to play exclusively on origin?

i dunno, i don't think too highly of ea
    Last edited by acidtestportfolio; 12-10-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Hirmetrium View Post
    I mean, love or hate, my question stands. The statement "I won't buy BF3 unless its on steam" thats ridiculous.
    It is But some people just want it under one roof or they are too lazy to go somewhere else to buy it.

But at the end of the day, its just one person that the game doesn't really matter to anyway. Because the people remotely interested will buy it regardless of whatever client is needed to play it. After all. I will.
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by slick_101 View Post
    It is But some people just want it under one roof or they are too lazy to go somewhere else to buy it.

But at the end of the day, its just one person that the game doesn't really matter to anyway. Because the people remotely interested will buy it regardless of whatever client is needed to play it. After all. I will.
    unfortunately that's true

i still hope ea and valve do come to an agreement

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    The earth revolving around the Sun is a 'fact'. Professing the notion that Valve always = good, and EA always = bad, not so much.
    Don't be so sure!
    http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

I just bought it a minute ago, before I saw this thread from Amazon (30% off is the only way to get me to preorder!)
    ... I would prefer a Steam version, though.
    Last edited by Smashbox; 12-10-2011 at 11:11 PM.