Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Army building in DoW 3?

Fuck yeah

"There's going to be lots of opportunities to expand and build your own custom mega army. That's definitely an area we want to invest in. We see a good opportunity."
    As long as you don't make me paint the bases before I can play, I'm in.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    We see a good opportunity to let players pay for their custom army with real money. Calling it now.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    We see a good opportunity to let players pay for their custom army with real money. Calling it now.
    they already do that, it's called DOW retribution custom DLC
    a grumpy dude with a PHD in videogame debating

Oh please bring back Base Building!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Point buy! Designing armies is what makes Warhammer and Warhammer 40k fun for me.

I don't even want to play the game. Just give me a number of points and tell me what kind of objective the army is supposed to hold or achieve and I'm happy for a few hours.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    DoW =/= DoW 2 =/= DoW 3.
    4X =/= Squad Tactics =/= ???

If you want more content, each one has several expansions.

Loving where the saga has gone to, so far.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asskicker View Post
    Oh please bring back Base Building!
    Oh please don't, give me the tactical squads gameplay please.

I can just see Games Workshop thinking about it now. "Guys, we don't even have to physically make bits of plastic! We just use the 3D art and everyone paints them in Photoshop! We've got to have money!"

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Personally, I'd like to see the game being closer to DoW than DoW2. Also, I missed the Tau in DoW2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    All I want is a real Warhammer40k. I'll grudgingly take RTS if that's what it takes to let me browse codices. Also, I want Harlequins back for the Eldar.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Unfortunatly all I really want is real Warhammer 40k, but that will never happen because GW know that they sell there things at to much cost so they know people would rather play the computer game then the actual thing. Even though I would kind of prefer it was real.

I don't see the point of having real W40K ported 1:1, when the battle system is mostly trying to simulate a real-time battle environment.

Now, I do see the point of adding DEPTH to the RTS genre, not the 4x economics depth or the twitch-ness APM depth, but the Dominions 3 600 spells, 300 equipment, thousands of different units to choose from depth.

Maybe it can't be balanced enough to become an e-sports, but who asked for that.
    Last edited by pakoito; 10-10-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I know DoW2 multiplayer may be something of an example of "twitch-ness APM depth" (although even I can play and enjoy it, and win stuff), but in terms of tactical and strategic depth it's not half bad.

You have six races, each with a varied set of units, many with upgrades and just about all with powerful abilities best combined with those of other units for best effect. Each of the races has three very different commanders, each granting a two or more unique global abilities, and each having at least nine pieces of wargear to fit into three slots, allowing for some very different units coming from the same starting point. The game requires you to be able to take and hold territory, requiring mobility and map presence.

Not Dominions 3, but pretty deep nonetheless.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    I don't even know what I want from DoW3. I love the party-based RPG that is the DoW and Chaos Rising single player, but the potential for army-building in Retribution was almost palpable and I dearly want to see more of that angle. The Last Stand is a great mode, but I'm torn as to whether I prefer the skirmish mechanics of the first game (more traditional but very solid) or the second game (fast, loud, and kind of unfocused, but with a refreshing emphasis on player preference over optimal build orders).

Can we all agree that Lord General Castor and Kaptin Bludflagg need to return? Maybe the campaign can center around a brutal, system-wide struggle as Bludflagg tries to steal Castor's spiffy DLC hat.

Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    I know DoW2 multiplayer may be something of an example of "twitch-ness APM depth" (although even I can play and enjoy it, and win stuff), but in terms of tactical and strategic depth it's not half bad.

You have six races, each with a varied set of units, many with upgrades and just about all with powerful abilities best combined with those of other units for best effect. Each of the races has three very different commanders, each granting a two or more unique global abilities, and each having at least nine pieces of wargear to fit into three slots, allowing for some very different units coming from the same starting point. The game requires you to be able to take and hold territory, requiring mobility and map presence.

Not Dominions 3, but pretty deep nonetheless.
    But that's oriented to hero-building, like any dota-clone can do but just against hordes of NPCs.

I meant a RTS where you have unit variety on the thousands, or just in the tens but being able to equip and personalize each squad of them, one step further than DoW1 did.

The same applied to commander "spells". If Diablo 3 can make 8 different spell variations out of the same one, why not RTSs?

Banned
    But isn't DOW 2 far closer to the table top game with its squad management rather than the burn n churn of DOW 1.

I don't see why plopping a few buildings down is essential to the DOW formula. Supreme Commander yes, DOW no.

I'm predicting DOW3 to be free to play anyway.

Basic Space Marine and Ork armies free with everything else (armies and factions) costing money on Steam.

As long as the armies aren't drip fed I'll be very very happy if Relic choose to pursue such a path.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post

I'm predicting DOW3 to be free to play anyway.

Basic Space Marine and Ork armies free with everything else (armies and factions) costing money on Steam.
    This idea makes my stomach churn, but I agree that its the obvious choice for Relic to make and the first thought that popped into my head when I heard about the "custom mega-armies." Here's hoping they surprise us.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    But isn't DOW 2 far closer to the table top game with its squad management rather than the burn n churn of DOW 1.
    Actually I don't think so, the mechanics of squad morale and numbers in the first DOW was scarily close to the game I have to say and that's one of the reasons I kind of like it a lot more. But neither of them are close enough to my liking. There is a really good Turn Based Strategy Game if you completely converted Warhammer into a video game.

^^^^

Too niche for the videogame licence, they've done great so far, a Blood Bowl catastrophe would hurt the IP to a point where it'll be only bought by fans. But we'd love the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Now, I do see the point of adding DEPTH to the RTS genre, not the 4x economics depth or the twitch-ness APM depth, but the Dominions 3 600 spells, 300 equipment, thousands of different units to choose from depth.
    Curious... when did "more stuff" = depth? A lot of people simply can't be bothered with any of that, and simply having more spells or units doesn't necessarily increase depth, it just increases complexity (perhaps needlessly). I'd much rather that they focused on gameplay mechanics to add depth than simply tossing in more units.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I'm happy with what DoW2 is right now at least in 1v1 multiplayer. Sure, I'd like to be able to custom-build an army with more options than in first two games, but thats not why I play DoW2. I like it's tense competitive gameplay, sense of constant danger( on a mid-to-high level of play losing a game after one stupid mistake or one good move by an opponent is so easy) and it's actually fun( I stopped having this raw pure fun with games like 5 years ago).

Yesterday, I won a game against Chaos player. It was a bad game for me, I lost every single point and all my generators. Twice. I still managed to win and it was epic. Heretics were flying everywhere( lots of grenades and rokkit barrages were used). Probably will upload a replay on gamereplays.org.

I love DoW2, not sure if I'm going to get into ftp DoW3.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 11-10-2011 at 08:10 AM.