Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Network Hub

Are games bad these days or have I just grown up?

I started playing games with f19 Stealth Fighter in like 87 or 88 and I was like 4 or 5 at the time. I remember from that time all the way up to 2004, that games were constantly innovating and becoming bigger and better. Thanks to the introduction of 3D graphics we saw so many new genres and old genres take a whole new meaning. However come 2005 everything just seemed to have died for me and never recovered, I try not to blame the 360 and really it's not, more of a change of our times but that console really did pack a blow to innovation. It was the first console to come with a proper online service and stopped the PCs advantage right there, suddenly you saw every PC franchise move over to it and you still do today with Syndicate and Xcom. I just have a feeling if it was only PS3 and Wii then we'd still have all the great PC developers and Microsoft has showed they care as much about gaming on Windows as Apple do with Mac, though at least they launched and app store that is good for Mac.

I just find myself these days playing older games and preferring them to many newer games. I look at BF3 today and think it plays worse than BFBC2 and both of them are really just the same as 1942 which we got in 2002. I find myself looking at the 64 player limit and wondering why we're still stuck in like the RTCW era when that amazed us all with 64 player classed based combat. Yet I play today games like CS which are 10 or so years old and just are still far better than most modern FPS where they just tacked on a MP component.

What ever happened to the Strategy and RTS genre? It seems like they're all being made into an FPS today for the 360 crowd, what I find funny is I have friends who play on 360 only and they're fed up of FPS games now. One of them just purchased Portal 2 (not an RTS lol) after I showed him it on my PC and he loves it, yet he never heard of it before. There is a market for other types of games but stockholders are not giving publishers and developers a chance.

What ever happened to the MMO genre? It used to all be different with Ultima Online, Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, Planetside, EVE Online, Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft. No two games there are the same, they're all completely different from each other. I know people will complain and say WoW is an Everquest rip off, that just shows to me that you never played Everquest before it got owned by WoW and then tried to copy it. That says it all really, MMOs today just copy WoW and try to be successful, I just think you wont ever do it better than WoW and every MMO since has failed and proved that. SWTOR is another overhyped MMO that I've played at some events and it again plays exactly like WoW.

I could go on about every single genre, I'd rather play FF7 over FF13 or System Shock 2 over Bioshock but you get the point by now. I just think with this new graphical fidelity we've gotten, it takes more people and more money to make games now. This in turn causes publishers to wanna take less risks and just agree to the obvious answer, which is to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Also we see less quality mods along the lines of DoD, CS, TF and DC mod for 1942 as it takes much bigger teams these days. We saw a resurgence thanks to HL2 and Source, however that has mostly died now as Source has become so dated. Some people try to make mods with UE3 but it's clear that Source is king for PC and noone really buys other games for mods. I would think it would be really good for a Source 2, if the mod community hasn't died out already. Obviously I know it hasn't gone, however the quality just isn't there anymore for the most part.

So people tell me I've just gotten older and in a way that is true, you're much easier impressed as a kid and kids growing up today know no different. However I do think the gaming industry has gotten stale and it's never down to one thing but I really hope we see a crash in COD sales which causes everyone to panic as they cannot just throw tired FPS after tired FPS at us.

To be quite brief, I think it's a part of growing up and being more selective. I see it with my taste in movies, I see it with my taste in music and I see it with my taste in games. The only thing that seems to be different is food actually haha. Nevertheless, I think regarding MMO's everyone ought to keep an eye on Guild Wars 2. It is literally the only game I am actually looking forward to and have been looking forward to for quite a few months. I try a few games until it's released but I find everything bores me within hours of installing it (yes DE:HR too, very much so even).

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Games are certainly different; the vast majority are being made for a mainstream, general audience rather than a more select group.

Whether that's good or bad is very much up to the individual.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    PC gaming used to be for intelligent people. These days that's not the case. It's pretty simple.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    And what better way to demonstrate intelligence than to subscribe to an incredibly limited worldview, and refuse to sway from it under any circumstances?

I find myself in the OP's same position. The difference is that I loved and still love FPS games. Yeah, but I love the ones from the past.

I'm dearly missing FPSs with atmospheric components like Quake 1 and Doom, along with a good fast-paced multiplayer deathmatch mode. Oh, and yeah, the mods are gone too. There was a time where as a kid I would wake up in a hot summer morning, check up on Planet Half-Life and see a mod released nearly every day of the week for Half-Life 1, with an actual active userbase for each mod.

Today, yes, there are many more gamers than back at the end of the '90s, but these many gamers are divided in many more games, of which the majority smells like poo. In my opinion.

Activated Node
    I Just need to say before I go on: XCOM is in no way, shape, or form X-COM! At best, it's Mass Effect meets Bioshock.

Strategy games and RTSes are still around - Sword of the Stars II, a space 4x, is being released this month, Achron (or whatever it's called) the time-bending RTS was released recently, and Heart of the Swarm (SC2) expansion is being released, what... next year? Plus, there's several of Paradox's games, such as Sengoku that was released last month or so - if you're into grand strategy.

MMOs require developers and publishers to go so all-in that of course all the large MMO releases are cookie-cutter. Look what happened to Realtime Worlds and their unique MMO - APB. On the flipside, The Secret World, basically an Adventure Game MMO, is releasing some time in the future and the World of Darkness MMO will feature permadeath, from what I've heard. SWTOR is blurring the lines between a traditional Bioware RPG and MMOs. Plus, GW2.

For older-styled gaming experiences, there's still hope! Xenonauts (XCOM), Cartel (Syndicate), Darkfall Online (UO-esque experience) etc. There's certainly more, but I'm not savvy enough to think of them. Look around, try new games - what you're seeking is definitely out there.

Only social games are bad. And free-to-play MMOs. Yes, that about covers it.

Note: I may be wrong about some of the guesstimated dates presented in this post.

Network Hub
    I think obviously the industry has changed some, but for the most part people's tastes change as they mature. Personally Single Player games bore me now, which certainly was not the case for the past 10-15 years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    And what better way to demonstrate intelligence than to subscribe to an incredibly limited worldview, and refuse to sway from it under any circumstances?
    But it's true? A lot of PC games in the 80s were made by geeky university students for geeky university students. There were no proper studios as such. Just groups of friends either at university or recently graduated. Most of them were programmers. Sometimes all of them were programmers. It's simply not the case right now with all the big budget FPSs.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    But it's true? A lot of PC games in the 80s were made by geeky university students for geeky university students. There were no proper studios as such. Just groups of friends either at university or recently graduated. Most of them were programmers. Sometimes all of them were programmers. It's simply not the case right now with all the big budget FPSs.
    Those kind of people are still making those kind of games. It's just not the only thing that's going anymore.
    Steam ID: Fiyenyaa.
    My Blog: http://strollinggamely.wordpress.com/

Back when I got started, which sounds like ancient history, back then the demographics of people who were into computer games, was totally different, in my opinion, than they are today. Back then, computers were more expensive, which made them more exclusive to people who were maybe at a certain income level, or education level. So the people that played computer games 15 years ago were that type of person. They probably didn't watch television as much, and the instant gratification era hadn't quite grown the way it has lately. I think in the last 5 or 6 years, the demographics have really changed, now this is my opinion, because computers are less expensive so more people can afford them. More "average" people now feel they should own one.
    Roberta Williams, 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiyenyaa View Post
    Those kind of people are still making those kind of games.
    Not really. Geeky university students are now making vapid iOS toys and indie puzzle platformers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    What ever happened to the Strategy and RTS genre?
    Anno 2070, Might & Magic Heroes VI, Anno 1404 + Venice, The Settlers 7, Stronghold 3, Civilization V, StarCraft 2, Shogun 2: Total War, Company of Heroes, arguably Dawn of War II - These are just recent/recent-ish games. The strategy/RTS/TBS genre is still alive and kicking, mostly due to Ubisoft (Yes, Ubisoft) and Paradox.

Gaming is not... bad these days, it's different. Whilst we do have crap ports coming out (You can hardly claim it to be a unique situation from only the past few years, though), we also have more and more original and higher quality titles coming out. Gaming has never been this varied, and you could argue that Steam, GamersGate et al have made it much easier for publishers like Paradox to get their titles out and increase the diversity in the market.

Yeah, I will say that I think some genres - such as FPS - are really lacking now, but at the same time they're better. The increase in graphics quality and world building allows for more realistic scenarios, such as shooting under vehicles or giving you more realistic physics when you blow someone up. They don't just fall over, now they ragdoll in a fairly realistic - if not hilarious - fashion. Bulletstorm just couldn't have existed 10 years ago, because games weren't advanced enough.

I would love to go back to the heyday of FPS games. I would love a new Unreal Tournament like the original, for example. Unreal Tournament 2004, UT3 - they're just not the same. They don't have that same appeal, that same level of fun.

I've spent maybe 17-18 years of my almost-22 years on this planet gaming. I've gone from Lemmings and the Chaos Engine through to Torin's Gate and Rollercoaster Tycoon, and now to Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 and Anno 1404. I think gaming now is more diverse than it was, and that means there's more crap games in your face.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiyenyaa View Post
    Those kind of people are still making those kind of games. It's just not the only thing that's going anymore.
    That's my point. There are far fewer intelligent games.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Not really. Geeky university students are now making vapid iOS toys and indie puzzle platformers.
    Well, yeah. There are far fewer of them in number. However, there are still some decent independent games being developed.

Also, Roberta Williams knows more about the games industry than everyone in this thread put together.
    Last edited by Wizardry; 09-10-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Old games spoon-fed you intellectual challenge. These days you have to extract the intellectual stimulation for yourself. I, for one, am glad we've departed from those old hand-holding ways.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Network Hub
    Relatively speaking, yes.

Absolutely, I'd be surprised if there weren't more.
    Steam ID: Fiyenyaa.
    My Blog: http://strollinggamely.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Whenever I make comparisons between then and now I have to remind myself that the games I really remember are the great ones I played, and comparing that to my general view of the games industry at the moment isn't going to be fair. There's always going to be plenty of crappy or uninspired games around and I don't feel like there's less good games in total now than there were, say, 10 years ago. A lot of the mainstream industry is certainly too afraid of taking risks or running with ideas, but there's plenty of smaller projects (both indies and publisher funded) that still try to do novel and interesting things.

Actually there are more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by cowthief skank View Post
    Actually there are more.
    Quirky platformers are hardly intelligent.

Quirky platformers are hardly intelligent.
    Neither was Arkanoid really.