Network Hub

The blog that broke the browser's back(button)

For about the last two weeks RPS has been doing unspeakable things to my back button in Firefox. For example, if I open an article I have to press back three times for it to actually go back to the previous page, and pressing back on the main page to return to the previous site doesn't seem to work at all. The forum seems fine though.

Anyone else having this issue, or am I special and RPS just don't want me to leave?

No, I too encountered this problem. I am using Safari, so it's not really a browser-specific problem.

Yeah, I've had that too. Whenever I go to the second page of articles pressing Back just results in multiple listings for the second page in the list under the back button. I have to bring that list up and select the first mention of RPS to get back to the initial page.

Very weird. I am not sure why this should happen. Probably going to need more specific way to reproduce the error.

OK, I just tried it on the main page only.

What I did was open a new tab and type the address for the RPS front page into the address bar and hit enter. The page loaded properly, then made another connection, seemingly to load the facebook/twitter etc. stuff. If I then bring up the dropdown list that shows the previous pages the back button will take me to there are 20+ mentions of the RPS front page. These extra listings don't show up until after the second connection starts.

Hitting back does eventully take me to the first instance of the page, but if I didn't know what was happening it would look like the page wasn't changing.

I also noticed that when I enter an article for the first time, I have to hit back twice. However, once I'm back on the main page and view the article again, then I only have to hit back once to get to the main site. Possibly cookie related?

I've had the same problem for some time now when browsing RPS. It's happening on my home computer and also at work when using Firefox 7.0.1. IE 9 and Chrome work without any problems at all, so to me this seems to be browser specific.

Same problem here on FF7. As with Mana_Garmr, if I right-click the 'back' button the entire list is populated by multiple entries for the RPS homepage. Happy to assist with testing if it would be useful.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Same problem. Also comments don't show up if add block is getting rid of exceptionally annoying video verts.

Forgot about this but I went and tried it out with Opera and I get this. Still have to go Back through each on to reach the origina empty tab.

When I have NoScript active on Firefox I don't have the problem because none of the extras get to load.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Mana_Garmr View Post
    When I have NoScript active on Firefox I don't have the problem because none of the extras get to load.
    I suspect the facebook/reddit/twitter widgets are the problem. If I click on a link before those are loaded, the back button behaves normally. If I wait for the page to finish loading, a million entries appear under the back button.

This is on a stock Firefox, with all extensions disabled.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Same problem here, the main RPS page seems to be connected to a random but large number of times any time I visit it.

Hit this the first time just now.

What I noticed when I go to the GTA article is:

The first load of the page looks normal.
    Second load of the page is the same but with that reddit icon/button.
    Third load is the same as the second but with a Facebook "like" icon.

So it looks like it loads the page, then reloads it to add the reddit thing and then AGAIN to add the Facebook one. Or at least, for some reason, thinks it's a new page when those icons load and they get added to the "Back" list.

So it seems it's doing the same thing on the front page for every article it shows. :-/
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Obscure Node
    Sorry to wake up an old thread, but the problem hasn't disappeared.

I'm using Firefox 7 and the RPS pages seem to load up many times. This picture was taken a few seconds after opening the frontpage. I don't know what's happening, but this prevents me from using the back button...
    Is it Firefox (doesn't happen with Chrome, I checked) or RPS?

bbback.jpg

PS: I use adblock, but subscribe to RPS. Love!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrogene View Post
    Sorry to wake up an old thread, but the problem hasn't disappeared.

I'm using Firefox 7 and the RPS pages seem to load up many times. This picture was taken a few seconds after opening the frontpage. I don't know what's happening, but this prevents me from using the back button...
    Is it Firefox (doesn't happen with Chrome, I checked) or RPS?

bbback.jpg

PS: I use adblock, but subscribe to RPS. Love!
    It isn't just you, at least. I get it on FF 3 too (I refuse to upgrade as every version since then seems to take away menus, or remove the bar at the bottom where my email notifier goes, or...)

It's like the page is doing postbacks on user controls which are filling up the browser queue.
    "A victory so bitter it would be better we had not won," --General Transh

The Devpit: For all your literature, gaming, IT and defenestration needs.

Obscure Node
    Yup, had this for a while too. FF 6.02

Me too. I'm using Firefox (which itself has seemed to become a whole lot less reliable over the last six months or so).

A long shot, but I was wondering if it could have anything to do with my mouse. It's an old Logitech Mx510 (using basic windows drivers) and the thumb button is supposed to work as the 'back' button in a browser. That's where I've found the issue to be most prevalent.

Addition: the back button works fine in the forums, just not the main blog site.
    Last edited by The Tupper; 19-01-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I used to have this, but trying it now it seems to be OK. Using FF 9.0.1.

Same issue here with FF 10.0. It probably has to do with the abominable yet ubiquitous Facebook "Like" button.
    When I click back, the button disappears but the rest of the page doesn't change. Another click and it works.