Obscure Node

getting a generic USB gamepad to act like a 360 controller

hi,

sorry of this has been asked before, but i recently bought a cheapy wired PS2 style gamepad from dealextreme as it seems to be the way to go for driving games etc

the prbolem is many games only accept xbox controllers (and theres me thinking a gamepad was a gamepad)... driver:SF is a recent example of this...

is there any recommended software which will make the game think my controller is an xbox one?

i tried motioninjoy which someone recommended on the main site, but it appears to only work for wireless ps3 controllers...

anyone got any suggestions?

**edit
    found another thread after posting : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...hlight=gamepad

pretty much answers my question :)
    Last edited by dog; 10-10-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Actually, that thread doesn't mention x360ce, which does exactly what you want.

Obscure Node
    that does look good... heres the link : http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

will try it out when i can :)

Obscure Node
    Hii friends...I think i have finally found a permanent fix for this simple issue...So If you are having a normal Analog USB Gamepad and want to use it as your XBOX 360 Controller just go through the below tutorial that will guide you through the whole procedure how you can emulate your normal gamepad to work as XBOX 360 Controller...

http://www.rushinformation.com/use-n...60-controller/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Does anyone know why we took the retrograde step of getting rid of the system that allowed all gamepads and controllers to work with all games and implementing one where only a few specific controllers (basically one) work?

And, bearing in mind that there are lots of regular controllers out there, and that they can still be easily supported in games, does anyone know why game companies don't bother?
    Finally, why doesn't windows already do it's best to map non-xbox controllers to xbox controllers, removing the need to arse about with all these intermediate software steps?
    *grumpy USB controller owner*

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Does anyone know why we took the retrograde step of getting rid of the system that allowed all gamepads and controllers to work with all games and implementing one where only a few specific controllers (basically one) work?

And, bearing in mind that there are lots of regular controllers out there, and that they can still be easily supported in games, does anyone know why game companies don't bother?
    Finally, why doesn't windows already do it's best to map non-xbox controllers to xbox controllers, removing the need to arse about with all these intermediate software steps?
    *grumpy USB controller owner*
    Basically because the XBox360 system was not running on Windows and they had to create their own drivers for it and you cannot copy the competition nor the same button layout thx to horrific copyright protection laws.

Thus there was no standardization and because the controller became so popular game devs decided to just support the XInput layer, because the XInput layer was standardized so the right buttons would always be assigned. With DInput, each controller I owned had a different layout to each other.
    It was simply faster just to support one controller, less development time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    But with DirectInput all controllers worked!! Wasn't that the whole point? That any type of controller could work with any type of game because DirectInput was an abstraction layer that allowed gamers to map physical controls to in-game actions.
    With several different DirectInput controllers and hundreds of games I can't say I ever had a problem where the game didn't support the controller... until recently where some games have just flat out told me that they refuse to.

Surely they could just have mapped Xinput onto DirectInput and then the 360 controller would have worked like very other controller.

It strikes me as particularly odd given that Microsoft was the one who developed both systems.

I refuse to buy a new controller when I have one that should work perfectly well. Particularly I refuse to buy a new controller from the people who decided to stop my controller from working perfectly well.
    I guess, if I really really want to play a game then I'll have to mess around with the software linked above in order to get a DirectInput controller to work with a DIrectX game.. but for now I can't really be bothered. (Knowing PCs, it's very unlikely to work out of the box, and will involve lots of googling for obscure solutions).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Does anyone know why we took the retrograde step of getting rid of the system that allowed all gamepads and controllers to work with all games and implementing one where only a few specific controllers (basically one) work? \
    I really don't know and it sucks.

Halo 1 could support any directinput controller I think. It automatically detects even modern controllers.

Even DCS World detects anything you just plug in....

Whereas most games only detected 360 controller. But that might be because turning that function on is as easy as including a small bit of code that has been used many times before.

But that seems the same as before... I really don't know. Maybe it's about the development environment or something.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    First up I blame MS. If standardization was the problem, it's them who should have come up with a software like x360ce, deployed via Windows Update. Then they could still have used XInput on the development side, but everyone could have just configured their existing DInput devices via that software ONCE and it'd have been all rainbows and sunshine from then on.

But no, instead they offered devs an easy way to port their existing controller code over to Windows. Only downside being that everyone needs new controllers, but that's just a mild inconvenience in comparison, amirite? So devs got lazy/snobbish and started to not even bother supporting DirectInput pads.

Technically, XInput is a formalized sub-set of DInput. It can't do everything that DInput does. Which means that all the more exotic controllers are almost dead, and innovation already is (not that there has been any in the last few years).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectInput has some more background information.

P.S.: In Linux any pad usually Just Works, unless it doesn't.
    Last edited by DanMan; 19-07-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by hideinlight View Post
    because the controller became so popular game devs decided to just support the XInput layer
    I would question whether it actually happened in that order.

I expect what really happened was that in order for games to receive the Games for Windows banner (something that was very common when it was initially introduced,) is that support for XInput and the 360 pad was a requirement. Some developers (not all) decided that they would not go through the hassle of programming in DInput too, so just stuck with the one they had to use. Enough games did this that people would run into problems and enough of those people decided they didn't want to risk the chance of a game not working with their pad, so just got a 360 pad. The popularity of the pad then grew and more developers started to think there was no point in including XInput, so you end up in the situation we are in today.

x360ce is a good fix. It's a hassle to get it working properly, but once you do it's smooth sailing from then on.

Xpadder is also a good fix. It's much easier to setup and is great even for games that have no joystick support at all, but it won't automagically map to a game's controls as x360ce (or an actual xbox joystick) would.

If you were willing to take the plunge, I would thoroughly recommend a real Xbox 360 controller for those PC games that work better on controllers - very good controller, built to last and sets itself up nicely with all the bells and whistles (feedback, etc.). Not an answer, but just felt like saying it as I've been so impressed with it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Yup, I think the main reason DirectInput was shelved is because there was no standardization in the physical button layout. Meaning the Button Number 3 wasn't always in the "correct" place.
    As for solving the intermediate layer, SDL probably has a superior API that works on anything.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?