Cannot find TRON/light-cycle game.

So, I watched Tron Legacy last night, and it was OK, but it reminded me that sometime in the last year or so I played a really awesome light cycle game on my PC that I am now completely unable to find.

It was 3d, free I think, and it's biggest unique perk was that unlike the usual "square box" arenas of must such games, there was much more detailed terrain involved. There were multiple platforms on different Z-levels and such, almost like in the new movie. You could jump between said platforms and such to create a bit more of a complex experience than "play chicken with the other guy, then pen him in while slowly tracing concentric circles" thing.

I _think_ (and that's important emphasis there) that they didn't explicitly call it a Tron game, perhaps to avoid lawsuit/C&D. Given my inability to find the game on Google, I'm pretty sure this is probably accurate.

All I really know at this point is it isn't Armegetron or glTron as far as I can tell.

Anyone?

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    I think there was a PAX demo for the Tron Evolution retail game. Doesn't look like it had an official release but may have been leaked to download sites. It looks to have had a light cycle level with the over/under and platform elements you describe. Maybe you'd downloaded it thinking it was an official demo?

This look familiar? (~5 min mark)
    Last edited by icupnimpn2; 10-10-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Obscure Node
    Was it Armagetron perchance? If so it is awesome, and would be up for some MP action!

http://www.armagetronad.net/index.php

EDIT: Ignore me for not reading. Still up for an MP game though!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I remember playing something like you describe years ago. It had a closer 3rd person view than most of these games have, and lots of ramps and walls and blocks in the arena. Possibly on an old demo disc, I don't know.

Tron 2.0 had pretty meaty Lightcycle sections to it. Not on multiple levels, although there was some jumping in the preceeding cut-scenes.

Network Hub
    There was a pretty damned amazing Unity light cycle game. It was even more enjoyable than the actual game itself, which I got to play on the 360 thanks to a friend of mine. I'm not sure whether it's just because a keyboard & mouse works better for that sort of game, or whether it's because the Unity game was simply just... better.

I don't know. But it was quite fun. Let's see if I can't find it...

Ah! Here we go.

http://trongames.go.com/tron-light-cycle-game.html

I do advise turning the graphics up to full in the options. It's a Unity game, so any half-decent PC should be able to handle it. And yeah, it might be what you're thinking of. If not, it might be worth a look.

Maybe it was some iteration of LightBikes? IIRC, it was featured on a PCG coverdisk back in the early noughties.

It's gotta be LightBikes aye. Played that game a ton on a few LAN parties back when I was still a massive teenager geek (who am I kidding, I've only been able to remove 'teenager' from that..). It was actually my dad who pointed out its similarity to Tron, which at that point I had never heard of.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    well done Seniath.

Alas, none of these are the game. Argh. I may need to further widen my search somehow.