Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 165

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    229

    Some Mass Effect 3 features

    http://paperghost.tumblr.com/post/62...-mass-effect-3

    Apart from the turret sequence seen in the trailer, ME3 apparently has on screen prompts for moving into cover (a la Alpha Protocol) and push-a-button-to-watch-a-cutscene (a la Bulletstorm).

    After my initial reaction of "Oh God Why Is This Happening", I've reconciled myself with "Let's Not Panic It's Too Early" and "Oh Well I'll Fixate On Some Other Franchise".

    Besides, we know quite well why this is happening, no need to get into that.

  2. #2
    Obscure Node Baris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8
    I honestly couldn't hold in my laughter when they showed a turret sequence in the precious little time they had to showcase their flagship RPG (hah) title. I know it's probably irrational and I missed out because of it, but I immediately skipped ahead when I saw the turret sequence and crossed the game off my radar.

  3. #3
    Obscure Node LittleLizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Uruguay
    Posts
    5
    What I was afraid of happenning, at least, happened.

    ME1 - Hybrid RPG / Shooter
    ME2 - Third Persone Shooter with a Damn Good Story, situations, etc.
    ME3 - Gears of War with a good story.

    Murphy's Law: If something can fail, IT WILL FAIL.
    If you like prog rock, then you're with me. If you dont, you are against.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLizard View Post
    ME2 - Third Persone Shooter with a Damn Good Story, situations, etc.
    Je te present:

    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...-Mass-Effect-2

    You must've been playing a very different version of this game. Even by Star Wars standards it was shocking.

  5. #5
    Activated Node G915's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    36
    I just hope there won't be any "cooling cartridges" or whatever was that terrible thing called.
    Testing 1 2 3

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Three miles from the nearest bus stop
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by G915 View Post
    I just hope there won't be any "cooling cartridges" or whatever was that terrible thing called.
    There was a question about that in the Q&A. The answer was that thermal clips are in there right now, but they're still thinking about whether they'll stay or be removed before release.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Three miles from the nearest bus stop
    Posts
    1,116
    They could have made a trailer about menu navigation and dialogue selection. Golly, that would have been exciting.

    But then they would have denied people something to complain about, and people need something to complain about, like I always say.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,459
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    They could have made a trailer about menu navigation and dialogue selection. Golly, that would have been exciting.

    But then they would have denied people something to complain about, and people need something to complain about, like I always say.
    Indeed. The new forum seems to have brought with it a lot of cynics which is rather unfortunate. Hopefully once E3 is out of the way things will bed down again, but I suspect this week is going to consist of one long series of posts scoffing at everything that's shown from E3 based off of initial trailers. A few minutes footage is not enough to really make anything but snap judgements off imho. No doubt over the coming days there will be plenty of coverage from various site as to impressions coming from the convention floor and I suspect those longer looks will be much more indicative as to the true state of play with many titles.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 07-06-2011 at 01:36 PM.

  9. #9
    Network Hub SMiD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Langhorne, PA, USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Indeed. The new forum seems to have brought with it a lot of cynics which is rather unfortunate. Hopefully once E3 is out of the way things will bed down again, but I suspect this week is going to consist of one long series of posts scoffing at everything that's shown from E3 based off of initial trailers. A few minutes footage is not enough to really make anything but snap judgements off imho. No doubt over the coming days there will be plenty of coverage from various site as to impressions coming from the convention floor and I suspect those longer looks will be much more indicative as to the true state of play with many titles.
    Indeed E3 seems to stir things up quite a bit with gamers over-analyzing the tiniest bit of information. Indeed.

  10. #10
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Three miles from the nearest bus stop
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    Indeed E3 seems to stir things up quite a bit with gamers over-analyzing the tiniest bit of information. Indeed.
    It's just funny how gamers are always so doubtful about whether we'll actually get what developers promise, but can have such unwavering certitude about whether we'll get what someone who makes a post on the internet fears.

    That said, one can go too far the other way. I think I probably do. I'm just an optimist.

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,492
    Murphy's Law: If something can fail, IT WILL FAIL.
    Everything fails then?

    Have to admit that I don't like the look of this. I don't understand the "Push button to stare at flying thing!" nonsense that's creeping into games. Thanks guys, but I can see it and I can follow it, you don't need to do it for me.

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,489
    What I saw looked alright in the trailer and game-play sequences, but it just looked dull. Nothing grabbed my attention. It kinda felt like "Here is some shooting. Here is some moving. Here is some shooting while moving." It all looked very polished, but there was something missing.

  13. #13
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    It all looked very polished, but there was something missing.
    What's missing? What are we looking for from Mass Effect 3? What makes a Mass Effect game good? I would be very surprised if the mechanics are the only things that people enjoyed in the series.

  14. #14
    Network Hub Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Britain
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by EndelNurk View Post
    What's missing? What are we looking for from Mass Effect 3? What makes a Mass Effect game good? I would be very surprised if the mechanics are the only things that people enjoyed in the series.
    Guaranteed some people will buy the game this late in the series purely on storyline alone and regardless of whether the gameplay is any good. So that allows the devs to make the game appeal more to first time buyers by making it play like other things out there on the market.
    But I'm not sure what they'll do about the story, whether they'll make it more accessible to newcomers to the series or make it a brilliant end to it (Not sure but I heard this is the last ME) so they won't have to worry about new people not getting how it's all working out as that might even push them to buy the previous games.
    Tricky.

  15. #15
    Obscure Node LittleLizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Uruguay
    Posts
    5
    Indeed. I will probably buy ME3 cause i played the other 2. If the trailers alone had to sold me, they have failed... EPIC FAIL
    If you like prog rock, then you're with me. If you dont, you are against.

  16. #16
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,489
    Quote Originally Posted by EndelNurk View Post
    What's missing?
    Soul? I don't know. Everything is there, I don't disagree, but I feel like the vibrant and extremely well fleshed out universe they've created, albeit slightly derivative at times, boiled down to "Shoot these dudes, yo!" The Reapers added atmosphere, but I got no sense of any RPG (I appreciate that's hard to convey), no sense of that great space they've invented, other than Reapers flying about. Credit where credit is due, in the gameplay when the Normandy swoops down to collect you, a smile did come to my face. I really hope we get to pilot that in the please-let-it-happen space combat game that has to exist.

    Despite what I'm saying, I'll be getting ME3, I was just expecting something a little more, despite having no expectations whatsoever.

  17. #17
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Soul? I don't know. Everything is there, I don't disagree, but I feel like the vibrant and extremely well fleshed out universe they've created, albeit slightly derivative at times, boiled down to "Shoot these dudes, yo!" The Reapers added atmosphere, but I got no sense of any RPG (I appreciate that's hard to convey), no sense of that great space they've invented, other than Reapers flying about. Credit where credit is due, in the gameplay when the Normandy swoops down to collect you, a smile did come to my face. I really hope we get to pilot that in the please-let-it-happen space combat game that has to exist.

    Despite what I'm saying, I'll be getting ME3, I was just expecting something a little more, despite having no expectations whatsoever.
    I understand your thoughts. The things we've been shown are not the best of ME. It looks like all trailers etc have been about the conflict on Earth and as we've already heard, a substantial amount of the game will be about recruiting others to help with that fight. I understand why it's not in marketing as fiddling around on the quarian homeworld would be impenetrable for the purposes of marketing. I haven't seen anything at all to suggest that that side of the game has been changed at all. Instead we see differences in combat mechanics in what is likely the introduction to or finale of the game. I don't think we should worry based on this.

    The soul, as you describe it, of ME is Shepard. The fact that he's there is honestly enough for me on its own. I genuinely think that Mass Effect is one of the strongest thematically driven games around and Shepard embodies that theme.

  18. #18
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Three miles from the nearest bus stop
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by EndelNurk View Post
    IThe soul, as you describe it, of ME is Shepard. The fact that he's there is honestly enough for me on its own.
    Pfft. 'He'. Right.

    Other than that I think you said what I was trying to say in a far more reasoned and less grumpy approach.

  19. #19
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    83
    :) I knew somebody would comment about that. If you check my other posts on the subject I always refer to Shepard as female. I understand that some people don't play that way though. For myself, I've never even managed to finish the whole of the Eden Prime mission as a male Shepard, or as a Renegade Shepard for that matter. It's just not the role I want to play.

    [Edit: Sex/Gender terms switch]

  20. #20
    For me Mass Effect 2 was better than the first. But I play it mostly for the story, characters, and the hybrid RPG/FPS. I have to admit that I enjoyed much more Borderlands than ME2 though.
    if you like manga, RPG and dating sims, check my indie computer games

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •