Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

Some Mass Effect 3 features

http://paperghost.tumblr.com/post/62...-mass-effect-3

Apart from the turret sequence seen in the trailer, ME3 apparently has on screen prompts for moving into cover (a la Alpha Protocol) and push-a-button-to-watch-a-cutscene (a la Bulletstorm).

After my initial reaction of "Oh God Why Is This Happening", I've reconciled myself with "Let's Not Panic It's Too Early" and "Oh Well I'll Fixate On Some Other Franchise".

Besides, we know quite well why this is happening, no need to get into that.

I honestly couldn't hold in my laughter when they showed a turret sequence in the precious little time they had to showcase their flagship RPG (hah) title. I know it's probably irrational and I missed out because of it, but I immediately skipped ahead when I saw the turret sequence and crossed the game off my radar.

What I was afraid of happenning, at least, happened.

ME1 - Hybrid RPG / Shooter
    ME2 - Third Persone Shooter with a Damn Good Story, situations, etc.
    ME3 - Gears of War with a good story.

Murphy's Law: If something can fail, IT WILL FAIL.
    If you like prog rock, then you're with me. If you dont, you are against.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    They could have made a trailer about menu navigation and dialogue selection. Golly, that would have been exciting.

But then they would have denied people something to complain about, and people need something to complain about, like I always say.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Murphy's Law: If something can fail, IT WILL FAIL.
    Everything fails then?

Have to admit that I don't like the look of this. I don't understand the "Push button to stare at flying thing!" nonsense that's creeping into games. Thanks guys, but I can see it and I can follow it, you don't need to do it for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    What I saw looked alright in the trailer and game-play sequences, but it just looked dull. Nothing grabbed my attention. It kinda felt like "Here is some shooting. Here is some moving. Here is some shooting while moving." It all looked very polished, but there was something missing.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    It all looked very polished, but there was something missing.
    What's missing? What are we looking for from Mass Effect 3? What makes a Mass Effect game good? I would be very surprised if the mechanics are the only things that people enjoyed in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by EndelNurk View Post
    What's missing? What are we looking for from Mass Effect 3? What makes a Mass Effect game good? I would be very surprised if the mechanics are the only things that people enjoyed in the series.
    Guaranteed some people will buy the game this late in the series purely on storyline alone and regardless of whether the gameplay is any good. So that allows the devs to make the game appeal more to first time buyers by making it play like other things out there on the market.
    But I'm not sure what they'll do about the story, whether they'll make it more accessible to newcomers to the series or make it a brilliant end to it (Not sure but I heard this is the last ME) so they won't have to worry about new people not getting how it's all working out as that might even push them to buy the previous games.
    Tricky.

What's missing?
    Soul? I don't know. Everything is there, I don't disagree, but I feel like the vibrant and extremely well fleshed out universe they've created, albeit slightly derivative at times, boiled down to "Shoot these dudes, yo!" The Reapers added atmosphere, but I got no sense of any RPG (I appreciate that's hard to convey), no sense of that great space they've invented, other than Reapers flying about. Credit where credit is due, in the gameplay when the Normandy swoops down to collect you, a smile did come to my face. I really hope we get to pilot that in the please-let-it-happen space combat game that has to exist.

Despite what I'm saying, I'll be getting ME3, I was just expecting something a little more, despite having no expectations whatsoever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    They could have made a trailer about menu navigation and dialogue selection. Golly, that would have been exciting.

But then they would have denied people something to complain about, and people need something to complain about, like I always say.
    Indeed. The new forum seems to have brought with it a lot of cynics which is rather unfortunate. Hopefully once E3 is out of the way things will bed down again, but I suspect this week is going to consist of one long series of posts scoffing at everything that's shown from E3 based off of initial trailers. A few minutes footage is not enough to really make anything but snap judgements off imho. No doubt over the coming days there will be plenty of coverage from various site as to impressions coming from the convention floor and I suspect those longer looks will be much more indicative as to the true state of play with many titles.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 07-06-2011 at 01:36 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Soul? I don't know. Everything is there, I don't disagree, but I feel like the vibrant and extremely well fleshed out universe they've created, albeit slightly derivative at times, boiled down to "Shoot these dudes, yo!" The Reapers added atmosphere, but I got no sense of any RPG (I appreciate that's hard to convey), no sense of that great space they've invented, other than Reapers flying about. Credit where credit is due, in the gameplay when the Normandy swoops down to collect you, a smile did come to my face. I really hope we get to pilot that in the please-let-it-happen space combat game that has to exist.

Despite what I'm saying, I'll be getting ME3, I was just expecting something a little more, despite having no expectations whatsoever.
    I understand your thoughts. The things we've been shown are not the best of ME. It looks like all trailers etc have been about the conflict on Earth and as we've already heard, a substantial amount of the game will be about recruiting others to help with that fight. I understand why it's not in marketing as fiddling around on the quarian homeworld would be impenetrable for the purposes of marketing. I haven't seen anything at all to suggest that that side of the game has been changed at all. Instead we see differences in combat mechanics in what is likely the introduction to or finale of the game. I don't think we should worry based on this.

The soul, as you describe it, of ME is Shepard. The fact that he's there is honestly enough for me on its own. I genuinely think that Mass Effect is one of the strongest thematically driven games around and Shepard embodies that theme.

IThe soul, as you describe it, of ME is Shepard. The fact that he's there is honestly enough for me on its own.
    Pfft. 'He'. Right.

Other than that I think you said what I was trying to say in a far more reasoned and less grumpy approach.

Activated Node
    :) I knew somebody would comment about that. If you check my other posts on the subject I always refer to Shepard as female. I understand that some people don't play that way though. For myself, I've never even managed to finish the whole of the Eden Prime mission as a male Shepard, or as a Renegade Shepard for that matter. It's just not the role I want to play.

[Edit: Sex/Gender terms switch]

For me Mass Effect 2 was better than the first. But I play it mostly for the story, characters, and the hybrid RPG/FPS. I have to admit that I enjoyed much more Borderlands than ME2 though.
    if you like manga, RPG and dating sims, check my indie computer games

Aye, I don't disagree with anything said.

I'm looking forward to it and I'll no doubt love it. The fact it was delayed simply means more time spent with BF3.

:) I knew somebody would comment about that. If you check my other posts on the subject I always refer to Shepard as female. I understand that some people don't play that way though. For myself, I've never even managed to finish the whole of the Eden Prime mission as a male Shepard, or as a Renegade Shepard for that matter. It's just not the role I want to play.
    I actually finished both games first time round not only as ManShep, but as DefaultShep, so I can't really say anything. I've only ever played FemShep since then, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Indeed. The new forum seems to have brought with it a lot of cynics which is rather unfortunate. Hopefully once E3 is out of the way things will bed down again, but I suspect this week is going to consist of one long series of posts scoffing at everything that's shown from E3 based off of initial trailers. A few minutes footage is not enough to really make anything but snap judgements off imho. No doubt over the coming days there will be plenty of coverage from various site as to impressions coming from the convention floor and I suspect those longer looks will be much more indicative as to the true state of play with many titles.
    Indeed E3 seems to stir things up quite a bit with gamers over-analyzing the tiniest bit of information. Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    Indeed E3 seems to stir things up quite a bit with gamers over-analyzing the tiniest bit of information. Indeed.
    It's just funny how gamers are always so doubtful about whether we'll actually get what developers promise, but can have such unwavering certitude about whether we'll get what someone who makes a post on the internet fears.

That said, one can go too far the other way. I think I probably do. I'm just an optimist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If they'd made a trailer of menu and inventory screens they might actually stand out at E3!

Silly I know, but it's bizarre the 'best way' to market a game like ME3 is to make it look as much like every other game being show there.

(And yes, who is that guy in the trailers? A new NPC? Where is Shepard, etc)

Activated Node
    I think it's bizarre that games marketing of this kind exists at all. Games are all about play and the experience of the player in response to cues in the game. No video can ever replicate that. I think Cliffski is right that the only good marketing strategy is to release demos. It's just a shame that the industry has apparently given up on that idea. In the absence of a demo I would prefer a CGI video that demonstrates the thematic style of a game rather than a video of always shonky looking gameplay. I know I'm in a minority on that, however.