Activated Node

Anyone tempted to make the ambient light DIY project?

http://ladyada.net/make/adalight/

looks much cheaper than the phillips solution.

I'm tempted :D

Activated Node
    Well I've bought the bits. Let's see how it goes!

I'll upload some videos when there's something to show.
    ================================================== ===
    Find me here: Steam / Origin / XboxLive : Citruspunch

Activated Node
    turns out that unlike the Cyborg amBX lights that run via DirectX, the adalight has iffy game compatibility :(

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem....idCategory=403

and they've just gone down in price too. Dammit!

Activated Node
    SO! the plan is A) build the light system and get it working. (obv!) This will output the ongoing display windows/movies/etc.

For games that take over the render buffer:
    B) Use a splitter on my main monitor output. send 1 output to the monitor as usual and send the second to a capture card/capture usb device. This device's feed is then shown at the smallest resolution possible on my 2nd monitor. I then set the adalight processor sampler exe to scan that output window as the source.

There will likely be a bit of lag, but it's a plan! The cpu should be able to handle it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I got my amBX lights for 25. For anything more than that, I wouldn't bother.

Activated Node
    from where?

are these the cyborg ones?

Activated Node
    hey, I didn't mention it before, but I built one! It's awesome and I highly recommend. Actually was easier than I thought it would be to build.

Dr who http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl1pA-N63eQ
    Terraria http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxoeOBurAGY

Obscure Node
    One of my "future planned projects(tm)" is something similar to this, but for use on any TV, monitor or even home projector (hell even cinema if taken to scale).

I'm not going to use the software screen capture method however. I'm going to use fibre optics to feed colour information from the edges of the screen back to a basic image sensor split into quadrants, probably just ripped straight from a old webcam, phone or digicam; then use that information to directly control the LEDs.

Bit more complex hardware wise - and placing the fibre around the screen to capture enough light to work will be a challenge - but it will have the massive advantage of been utterly hardware based (except the programming of the uC).

Still I have about a dozen FPP's in the queue before this one - current one a electronic cricket LED scoreboard for my local club.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    If you ever get that working, please post the results. I don't do the DIY thing but I'd like to see it.

The default Phillips amBX setup (at least with the lowest end lights I have) tend to shine light blue for any bright scene that doesn't have other colours showing strongly. I know they're capable of reproducing the screen colours accurately when the game's been designed specifically to work with them, but very few games are, and some games don't work with them at all. Citruspunch's setup seems to do something similar but skewed towards purple/red judging by those videos.

If your solution can produce accurate colours whatever's on the screen it would be quite an achievement.

Obscure Node
    Well I don't know how accurate it will be, theoretically with a good image sensor (and almost all these days are pretty damn good) and figuring out how I'm going to place the fibre around the screen to gather the light it should be highly accurate- given it will be using the actual colour/light of the monitor to decide the colour.

I've got a bad feeling however that it it will be really difficult to gather that light without actually blocking it for the viewer - or making it look really ugly (spiderweb of fibre optic cables around the screen), as I said though it's quite a bit down the list of things on my to-do sheet, so I doubt I'll be starting it until late next year.