Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The First RPS Starcraft 2 Tournament!

Hey everyone! I'm not sure how many SC2 players are around here, but I was hoping to set up a just-for-fun tournament. Everyone plays better when it's single elimination!
    If there are any questions about the rules*, go ahead and ask ;)
    *I got them from another tournament

Edit: I should probably add that due to how the SC2 servers are set up, this will be a EU-only tournament.

Rules & Stuff

1. Game Mode

We're going to play 1on1, gamespeed "faster".

2. Maps

By default, all Maps included in the 1on1 Ladderpool.
    Both players have to agree on the first map, after that it's loser's choice.
    In every matchup, maps may only be played once.
    Also, if both players agree on it, they can play any ESL, GSL or MLG variant (also of maps not included in the current pool).

3. Tournament

Grid size depends on how many players there will be :)
    Single Elimination with a game for third place.
    Normal matches are BO3, finale and game for third place will be BO5.

4. Draw

If players manage to get a draw, they must play on the same map again until there's a winner.

5. Results

The winner must proudly announce the results in this thread and upload the replays (on that note, does RPS have a built-in uploading thing?).

6. Requirements

Anyone can play, be it Unranked or GM.

7. Application

Applications follow the format IG-Nick / ID / Race / League
    For instance: Labbes / 944 / Zerg / Silver

You may not change the race you name in your application after the tournament has started.

8. Observer/Caster

There can be as many observers in the game as both players are fine with. You can also announce time&date of your match in this thread, so that observers will know when to be there.
    Also, if there is actually a caster here, that would be pretty cool.

9. Disconnects

-If an observer disconnects, it really doesn't matter
    -If a player disconnects within the first 5 minutes of the game, the same map will be played again.
    -If a player disconnects after 5-minute-mark, there are two possibilites:
    a) the disconnecting player forfeits the game
    b) the player who didn't disconnect gives re-game.
    -If there should be a problem of any kind, the administration (me) is there to lay judgement: If one player is far ahead in the game, he gets the win.
    If both players are on more or less even footing, it means re-game.

10. Not Playing Your Games

If you tried to reach your opponent via ingame chat, posting in this forum and sending him a PM, but he doesn't write back (or he is unable to play the game because of PC/real life issues), you get a freewin.
    Remember to contact your opponents early :)
    If you know you can't make it within the given deadline, but you know you have time a day or two afterwards, write in this thread or a PM. A match one or two days after the deadline does not interrupt the tournament much, so it should work most of the time.

11. Deadlines

I propose the next friday as deadline for applying, that should be ample time.

Application by: Friday, 21. October 2011.

After that, there will be five days for each round of the tournament. So by the 26., you should have played your first BO3 :)
    However, I will put all important dates above as soon as application is finished.

12. Participants

RPS Nick / IG Nick / ID / Race / League
    1. Labbes / Labbes / 944 / Zerg / Silver
    2. Vandelay / FeralFerret / 886 / Protoss / Gold
    3. Sweedums / Sweedums / 725 / Zerg / Platinum
    4. CreepingDeath / CreepingDeth / 366 / Protoss / Bronze

13. Chat

To organise matches, or to pick up observers before starting a match, I propose a channel by the name of Rock Paper Starcraft.

14. Grid

http://challonge.com/rpssc2

Unfortunately, I can't offer any rewards except a boost for your ego :)
    Last edited by Labbes; 21-10-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Oh, I'm up for some of this. Seem to recall proposing the idea way back, but didn't get too many takers. Hopefully, we can get enough people together for something this time. Here are my details:

FeralFerret / 886 / Protoss / Gold

Probably going to have to get some practice in. Not played any one vs one in ages.

Don't believe there is anyway to upload files on RPS. If it was just for people involved in the tourny, we could just use Dropbox, although only invited people would be able to see that. Alternatively, there are plenty of file uploading sites we could use.

Havn't played in so long but what the hell...

Sweedums / 725 / Zerg / Platinum

As for dropbox, you can setup a free account that has 2 gb of space, and then just hand out the account name and password on this here thread... wouldn't be too hard to do.

Thanks, I'll look into dropbox, that sounds like a good idea.

Network Hub
    My pc is currently crapping itself, but assuming it can hold itself together long enough I'd be up for giving this a go. Besides, someone needs to represent Bronze league!

CreepingDeth / 366 / Protoss / Bronze
    Last edited by Creeping Death; 13-10-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Three days to go, don't be shy! :)

yeah its guna be a real interesting tournament with only 4 of us lol

Obscure Node
    I'll be there

Normally I record only Smash Brothers but if anyone wants their game videos up on youtube, just ask and I can record anything when the Smash tournaments aren't happening
    Last edited by miki001; 22-10-2011 at 02:45 PM.

would be great fun if we had a caster actually, they could rip the shit out of our god awful play and strategies xD

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Judging by some of my games of late, I think there would be plenty of material! Weirdly, I seem to lose badly when I think I'm playing well and win easily when I think I'm playing terribly.

Kind of surprised there hasn't been more interest, as there is fairly healthy looking SC2 thread, with 11 European players listed on the front (and two lonely looking North Americans,) which occasionally resurfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by miki001 View Post
    I'll be there
    Meaning you want to join the huge tournament roster, or you want to obs the games to have a laugh? :)

I've read a lot about casting in forum tournaments, how would you actually do it? Is the ingame VoIP any use, or is everyone on Skype and just one guy talks?

Edit: I'm gonna post the grid later today, it's gonna take some time though, with so many players.
    Last edited by Labbes; 21-10-2011 at 11:36 AM.

well the voice recording could be done using xsplit if there is a caster, because that means the broadcast can be done live with sound.... xsplit is really rather good at handling all that sort of stuff.

I present to you the grid for the First RPS Starcraft 2 Tournament: http://challonge.com/rpssc2 (there is a game for third place! :D)
    Mirror matches all the way!

miki001, if you want to join us, I guess it's alright since we're only four :D just write down your Race, IG Nick and ID number and I'll do another grid.

I'm not sure five days are enough for so many matches, but I'll try nevertheless: Try and play your games until the 26th.
    You can write down the approximate time and date of your match, so other people can observe the game :)
    I guess I could cast, god knows I could use the training, I haven't spoken a word of English in forever. It would be more silly than strictly analytical, though, but I guess that's alright.

As for the replays, here's the login stuff for dropbox*:
    Mail: a8340865@nepwk.com
    PW: rps4ever

gl&hf in your matches!

*I did set that one up mainly to understand how the thing works. For all I care, you can upload it on mediafire or something like that as well :)
    Last edited by Labbes; 21-10-2011 at 11:36 PM.

ok so Labbes, im free all weekend and free most afternoons and all evenings (except maybe tuesday) during the week... if you want to post a general time to play on here so we can focus down to a specific hour, ill jump on sc2 now and try adding you to my friends

EDIT: also, for map choices, i'd very much prefer the mlg versions of the maps, as ZvZ is just not fun to play or watch when you get close rush distances on some of the ladder maps lol.... games usually end around the 6 minute mark :P
    Last edited by Sweedums; 22-10-2011 at 02:54 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Think I'm probably free most evenings next week for our games, CreepingDeth. Maybe even sometime tomorrow. Alternatively, I'm also off work next Friday/Monday, so will probably be able to make time on either of those days, if we don't get around to it before then.

I'll go ahead and post the exact same thing I post in every RPS StarCraft 2 thread: I wish I could join, but I'm on the NA server :(

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    Think I'm probably free most evenings next week for our games, CreepingDeth. Maybe even sometime tomorrow. Alternatively, I'm also off work next Friday/Monday, so will probably be able to make time on either of those days, if we don't get around to it before then.
    I'm free most evenings from 8pm (uk time) onwards as well. I've added you to my friends list so basically any time you see me on I'll be free for a match.

If we don't run into each other before Friday, I'll be free all day then as well. So it shouldn't be a problem getting the 3 games done.

Sweedums and I will play Sunday, 5-6ish. You will find me in the chatroom "rock paper starcraft" :)

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Post VODS plz :)
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Obscure Node
    Oh, boo EU only :(