Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Surprisingly good sums up my feelings very well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.doo View Post
    Surprisingly good sums up my feelings very well.
    I was surprised that you can now minmax your hero, and factions seem more balanced, even tho Necropolis lost all his past flavour :(

I still think HoMM 3 was the best one with 4 a close second, but this one is a good addition to the series. In addition we don't get a lot of strategy games nowadays.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    In addition we don't get a lot of strategy games nowadays.
    Paradox and Ubisoft would like to have a word with you.

On an aside, HoMM5 might have had some issues at first, but expansions + fan-works have probably made it my favourite game in the series. Not bought HoMM6 yet (don't have the money), but it's well worth checking it out now if you'd previously been disappointed in it.

Most notably, the latest fan-patch disables all AI cheats. Enemy heroes are fighting you on equal footing, and don't get any free units or stat boosts. The AI in general has been improved to compensate, though, and it can put up a solid fight.

It also includes a scenario by the lead mission designer on HoMM6.

I recently updated my all-in-one content pack for HoMM5, too. Just apply it to a patched-up (v3.1) copy of HoMM5: Tribes of The East (skip the previous two releases, you don't need them) and it adds:

The latest fan-patch; Huge optimizations on AI think times, smarter AI, no cheating enemies.
    All the content (with official Ubisoft blessing) from HoMM5 vanilla and Hammers of Fate. Campaigns, scenarios, multiplayer maps & all. These all play better than they used to, as you can use the new features from Tribes of The East, like caravans.
    6 additional new scenarios/maps.

Future fan-patches are apparently going to include long-term strategic AI, so the enemy can actually put together a game-plan and carry it out, a new campaign based around the new AI framework, and the Hall Of Decision - a tiebreaker mode for over-long skirmish/multiplayer matches, where the top hero from each faction is taken to a small arena map where they gear up and fight to the death in just a few turns. Ambitious, but I reckon they've got a good chance of making it work.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Paradox and Ubisoft would like to have a word with you.
    Two publishers still releasing strategy games, awesome.
    Quite an abysmal difference when you look back 5 to 10 years ago when we had a new strategy game released like almost every day.

Quite an abysmal difference when you look back 5 to 10 years ago when we had a new strategy game released like almost every day.
    In the past few years (Including the coming months): Loads of Paradox titles, StarCraft 2, Stronghold 3, Anno 2070, MMH VI, The Settlers 7 + GotY, Patrician IV + Expansion, Civilization V, Shogun: Total War II, Tropico 3 + Expansion, Tropico 4, Game of Thrones: Genesis... I could be here all day.

Plenty of strategy games, most are coming from Europe though.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    I was surprised that you can now minmax your hero, and factions seem more balanced, even tho Necropolis lost all his past flavour :(
    In what way? I have always been a Necropolis man myself. Nothing better than a 999 skeleton stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Tarason View Post
    I recently updated my all-in-one content pack for HoMM5, too. Just apply it to a patched-up (v3.1) copy of HoMM5: Tribes of The East (skip the previous two releases, you don't need them) and it adds:
    I love you.

Well, I guess it's true that your standard 2-4 faction, base-building RTS is mostly dead but it became incredibly stale anyway. Turn-based strategy, however, has always been rare.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    In what way? I have always been a Necropolis man myself. Nothing better than a 999 skeleton stack
    I couldn't finish the game but from what I recalled the stack flavor is gone. You can keep your initial undead numbers easily with a couple of mana-inefficient regeneration spells and your necromancy ACTIVE skill, but you don't get to raise new troops from dead enemies :( Necro armies now seems to be composed of fewer more efficient units.

Tier 1 are
    * Lance skellies, so the almighty skeleton archers gone. Have limited shots and ammo carts are gone too. Not worse but different.
    * Necrophagus. Average speed resilient hard-hitting unit. Way better than zombies.
    * Ghosts. Not meat shields anymore but healers. They heal one unit from stealing HP from units adjacent to it, then die horribly because bad stats. Not worse but different.

Tier 2 I couldn't see, but vampires, liches and shit.
    Last edited by pakoito; 18-10-2011 at 02:36 PM.

In the past few years (Including the coming months): Loads of Paradox titles, StarCraft 2, Stronghold 3, Anno 2070, MMH VI, The Settlers 7 + GotY, Patrician IV + Expansion, Civilization V, Shogun: Total War II, Tropico 3 + Expansion, Tropico 4, Game of Thrones: Genesis... I could be here all day.

Plenty of strategy games, most are coming from Europe though.
    Then again, the same number of games you listed would be around the average of strategy games released in a month a decade back.

Then again, the same number of games you listed would be around the average of strategy games released in a month a decade back.
    That seems like a massive exaggeration. I mean no offence by that, but I find it impossible to believe that "back then" that 15+ strategy games could be released a month. Given a two year development cycle as average and, for the sake of an example one game per studio, that means there'd have to be at least 180 studios developing strategy games for one year. That just isn't possible.

I didn't count indie titles nor smaller budget ones nor even ones like DoW II, so the list is absolutely enormous.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    You also neglected wargames entirely, such that by rights the entire output of Matrix and Sharpnel should be in there as well. The simple reality is that there are wildly more games being made today than there were 15 years ago, and while a smaller percentage of the may be strategy games there are nevertheless far more strategy games to choose from now than there were at the time. They've largely fallen out of the mainstream, and that's a shame, but as a huge strategy fan I have more than enough games on my shelf and on my list of upcoming titles (Hegemony Gold, Scourge of War, PanzerCorps, Sword of the Stars 2, and the new Combat Mission to name a few Unrav didn't), to give HOMM 6 a pass without even really noticing.
    Last edited by vinraith; 18-10-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    I couldn't finish the game but from what I recalled the stack flavor is gone. You can keep your initial undead numbers easily with a couple of mana-inefficient regeneration spells and your necromancy ACTIVE skill, but you don't get to raise new troops from dead enemies :( Necro armies now seems to be composed of fewer more efficient units.

Tier 1 are
    * Lance skellies, so the almighty skeleton archers gone. Have limited shots and ammo carts are gone too. Not worse but different.
    * Necrophagus. Average speed resilient hard-hitting unit. Way better than zombies.
    * Ghosts. Not meat shields anymore but healers. They heal one unit from stealing HP from units adjacent to it, then die horribly because bad stats. Not worse but different.

Tier 2 I couldn't see, but vampires, liches and shit.
    Well bone dragons are out, which SUCKS. In fact, I have not seen any dragons at all, exept for the japanse-style dragon the new Sanctuary faction has (which is wicked cool, but you know, no more dragons than that).

The ghosts are actually pretty useful, since they deal magic damage instead of physical. Depending on the situation they can be even more useful, especially if you're using a magic hero which boosts their stats. Also their heal isn't exclusively a heal, it's a life absob. They take life from all creatures around the target of the heal, so you just put a unit in the middle of your enemy and watch all their numbers go south.

The new Tier 3 necro unit, the shape-shifter spider lady, is actually pretty cool. But... you know... no bone dragons...

Bone Dragons sucked. Now 2x2k archer skellies stacks...

Network Hub
    Resist the urge to by this poisoned game and get yourself King's Bounty off GOG for $10

Quote Originally Posted by ZIGS View Post
    Resist the urge to by this poisoned game and get yourself King's Bounty off GOG for $10
    Better Dominions 3 for 55$.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/87...lash-of-heroes

Found this amusing. It tries hard to do the research but ends up confused. From misspelling Wizardry, to uncertainty whether or not King's bounty is the same franchise. Review consists of - we thought it would be like Final fantasy tactics, but it's not, it's not a 3rd person game like Dark Souls either. Maybe it's a fantasy Civilization?

Also apparently it's too slow-paced for us adrenaline junkie 'British Gamers'.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/87...lash-of-heroes

Found this amusing. It tries hard to do the research but ends up confused. From misspelling Wizardry, to uncertainty whether or not King's bounty is the same franchise. Review consists of - we thought it would be like Final fantasy tactics, but it's not, it's not a 3rd person game like Dark Souls either. Maybe it's a fantasy Civilization?

Also apparently it's too slow-paced for us adrenaline junkie 'British Gamers'.
    What an utter tosser. How on Earth did that review get through? Clearly the writer has absolutely no idea what HoMM/MMH is about, nor how to play it, nor... anything. He mentions Clash of Heroes too, which was a spin off title, and... Ugh.

What an absolutely ridiculous review.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What an utter tosser. How on Earth did that review get through? Clearly the writer has absolutely no idea what HoMM/MMH is about, nor how to play it, nor... anything. He mentions Clash of Heroes too, which was a spin off title, and... Ugh.

What an absolutely ridiculous review.
    Everything in the Metro has that level of care of attention. It's just this time you could tell.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Everything in the Metro has that level of care of attention. It's just this time you could tell.
    I suppose so, but it's still an utterly ridiculous review that should not have seen print. Someone should send a strongly worded letter to them.