Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Well, when someone says King's Bounty there's a 99.999% chance they're talking about the Katauri series.
    Not in my circles.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Not in my circles.
    i feel like that should be your signature.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    i feel like that should be your signature.
    I think he should make a motherf avatar out of that phrase. Probably a dynamic typography one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Now I just want to replay all HoMM3 and Disciples 1-2. I wasn't really a fan of HoMM gameplay mechanics, but it's music, atmosphere and art-design are flawless.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    I didn't know we were talking about Katauri's series.
    Err, fairly obvious from the context though? Given that he said King's Bounty was a rip-off of HOMM, and as you point out, any foo' know that the original King's Bounty game out before HOMM, he had to be referring to Katauri's games.

So anyway, any compelling reasons to get this instead of just playing V for someone new to the series?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    So anyway, any compelling reasons to get this instead of just playing V for someone new to the series?
    I'd say if you are new to the series, get a HoMM3 instead, it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    I'd say if you are new to the series, get a HoMM3 instead, it's great.
    this. homm3 is the peak of the series (and is still highly enjoyable).

Network Hub
    Actually I had no idea there was an old kings bounty game, was it mega popular? Perhaps it was big in the USA and not in the UK, either way I never heard of it until Wizardry mentioned it. Oh the shame!
    Anyway I enjoyed the series, the "new" kings bounty game was quite painful to play it just felt like a a boring heroes of might and magic game.

Obscure Node
    homm3 is the peak of the series (and is still highly enjoyable).
    Truth. In anticipation of the release of 6, I reinstalled V,and it was so...blah. Nothing exciting. I couldn't maintain interest in it long enough to complete the Haven (first) campaign. I <3 strategy games, and like to think that I've got the sort of mindset that requires, but V failed hard, both in the original game and the expansions. Thus, I reinstalled III, and though the graphics are a bit hideous nowadays, it's just so much more...fun. Get yourself a copy of 3, which can be had for a song, and have a blast.

(Personal note: I consider Disciples II the pinnacle of turn-based strategy games; III's decision to go 3d & copy the battlefield style of the HOMM series was an abomination.)

On topic: Regarding 6, I tried the demo, and I just couldn't get personally invested in the characters. Where's the grand scope? The drama, the struggle, the decisions that would make Slava real and make me CARE about the game? Your aunt's a necromancer, you've got a snarky bird for comic relief, you're living in harmony with the orcs, and you're fighting...your own faction? O_O The mind boggles.
    Last edited by Shandrakor; 13-10-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo1981 View Post
    Actually I had no idea there was an old kings bounty game, was it mega popular? Perhaps it was big in the USA and not in the UK, either way I never heard of it until Wizardry mentioned it. Oh the shame!
    Anyway I enjoyed the series, the "new" kings bounty game was quite painful to play it just felt like a a boring heroes of might and magic game.
    Don't feel too bad. The first King's Bounty game was released at the turn of the 90s -- not long before HoMM -- and by the same designer. It was sometimes included in HoMM compilations later on, and interestingly there was a Playstation 2 remake released as "Heroes of Might and Magic: Quest for the Dragon Bone Staff." But mega popular? I think it had more of a cult following, especially on Mega Drive. As a kid in the 80s & 90s reading video game mags I never even knew it existed. There was a huge buzz for HoMM 2 but I never saw similar for HoMM 1 or King's Bounty.

John Walker has a great retrospective for the original King's Bounty over at Eurogamer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    I cracked up with the final line. "King's Bounty is out now on Mega Drive"

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    I think Disciples III was overall a botched job, but I actually really liked the idea of a HoMM-style combat system without the stacks (which makes your army feel like a faceless mass of cannon fodder and makes maintaining numbers more essential than adventuring) and had long wanted to see the franchise go that route. Unfortunately, the AI and overall balance were just too out of whack--to say nothing of the numerous bugs and glitches--for it to be satisfying.

Having said that, is MMHVI (is that how we have to abbreviate it?) actually like a good version of Disciples III? 'Cause I would be all over that.

EDIT: Also, to reiterate an earlier comment: anyone have the courage/optimism to try out the new DIII expansion? Between the art style and the potential of the mechanics, I'd like to know if they managed to make something halfway decent.
    Last edited by Drinking with Skeletons; 13-10-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Err, fairly obvious from the context though? Given that he said King's Bounty was a rip-off of HOMM, and as you point out, any foo' know that the original King's Bounty game out before HOMM, he had to be referring to Katauri's games.
    Actually, you'd be surprised how many people have no idea about the original King's Bounty. Even if he did mean the new ones I'm sure someone out there reading this thread would have learnt something from what I said.

EDIT: Like this guy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo1981 View Post
    EDIT 2: Who happens to be the guy I replied to in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    Having said that, is MMHVI (is that how we have to abbreviate it?) actually like a good version of Disciples III? 'Cause I would be all over that.
    i've found homm6 (fuck their re-ordering) to be rather soulless. it's all pretty and perhaps even mechanically interesting, but there's a marked lack of any spark.

Network Hub
    I'd just like to say this is actually pretty damn good. As a fan of the series it feels/looks/plays great. The demo is alot more than most demos, so they deserve props for that. Sadly I don't have the cash at the moment otherwise I would buy in a heartbeat.
    Also why are there no reviews for this yet? Generally a title such as this would have proper reviews before release, is it because its a pc only title? Come on poor show games journalists!

i've found homm6 (fuck their re-ordering) to be rather soulless. it's all pretty and perhaps even mechanically interesting, but there's a marked lack of any spark.
    A little vague. Is it dull? Cliched? Predictable? Is it not trying to do anything substantially new or different enough to make it seem like more than a glorified expansion pack to better entries in the series?

A little vague. Is it dull? Cliched? Predictable? Is it not trying to do anything substantially new or different enough to make it seem like more than a glorified expansion pack to better entries in the series?
    well, it's all very /streamlined/. which is nice and slick but leaves the game with little character. take the town screen for example, it's a mini-window with a quick animation loop. that's it. it'd be a slick interface if i was playing king arthur or something, but the town screen is sort of a big deal in the homm series, and by popping me out of that experience it makes me feel a bit removed from the whole thing.

also the ubisoft online integration things are bothersome (for me, other people think they're cool).

basically, the world of homm3 was a lovely, hand-crafted (or at least felt hand-crafted) world with some depth and character that made it satisfying just to hang out for a bit. homm6 is slick and chic to the point where i just slide right off with nothing to hold on to.

mechanically, as i said, the game is fine, but it's the little touches of silliness and heart that were prevalent in homm3 that are missing for me.

well, it's all very /streamlined/. which is nice and slick but leaves the game with little character. take the town screen for example, it's a mini-window with a quick animation loop. that's it. it'd be a slick interface if i was playing king arthur or something, but the town screen is sort of a big deal in the homm series, and by popping me out of that experience it makes me feel a bit removed from the whole thing.

also the ubisoft online integration things are bothersome (for me, other people think they're cool).
    My only experience with the franchise is HoMMV (so, yeah, I don't get to complain too much about changes) but it's sad to hear they ditched the big and impressive town screens. Even Disciples III, for all its problems, understood that a nice presentation makes largely static, pre-determined construction far more appealing.

I'd actually like to hear more about the Ubisoft online integration features. I understand the game doesn't require an always-on connection; does it affect/screw up/allow-you-to-avoid-the-hassles-of these features?

More worryingly, does playing offline remove content from the game? I recall Assassin's Creed 2 used the "feature" to give you points that unlocked in-game content, including levels and extra weapons. There it seemed to serve as a weak apology or justification for the draconian drm, but I could easily see it reversed to act as a protection racket.

I'd actually like to hear more about the Ubisoft online integration features. I understand the game doesn't require an always-on connection; does it affect/screw up/allow-you-to-avoid-the-hassles-of these features?
    it definitely lets you know that you're not online, and some content will not work.

there are these things called conflux orbs which allow players to communicate with each other by leaving notes about a map or a specific area, and if you're off-line they'll still be on the map (and if you click on them you'll get a pop-up about not being connected, etc.). and i believe you will miss out on some content for your online dynasty if you aren't connected (some rare weapons and things). i haven't played enough to have a handle on the dynasty stuff, though.

Obscure Node
    Well apparently (and this is absolutely outrageous, RPS should definetly mention this) the DRM is integrated into the game design. As in, you can get some mighty powerfull gear, but it gets stored, and you can only use it if you're online. So basically, there's items in the classical term, and then you find a super powerful item and go "weeeee" until you see that you can't equip it if you're offline. In your single-player game.

Being online also seems to give you more bonuses like starting resources and units on the singleplayer campaign whic means that either:
    a) The game becomes more difficult (maybe even impossible?) for players without internet or
    b) The game becomes unbalanced and very easy for those who conect.

Basically, It's top-of-the-line intrusive DRM, it gets into the gameplay itself. Please RPS, talk about this, Ubi has really gone too far this time.

Edit: Oh and also, their DRM works so well that the game is already on torrent sites, and reported working fully offline.
    Last edited by Wild Marker; 13-10-2011 at 09:48 PM.