Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Another nice game totally ruined by UBI DRM, Its time to burn the witch again. Such a disgrace punishing the paying customer and rewarding the pirate. I thought from dust was bad, this is even worse!!! RPS needs to throw some clingy brown stuff around again like they did with from dust.
    It saddens me because I have really enjoyed the demo but cannot justify buying a game with such draconian DRM. Do not buy this game, ffs Ubi did you not learn from before?
    I feel bad for the developers, why oh why are we being punished so badly for playing games on the pc platform?!

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Marker View Post
    Edit: Oh and also, their DRM works so well that the game is already on torrent sites, and reported working fully offline.
    I see the scene release was early on October 12. Official release on October 13. Top-notch DRM, that. Kept 'em out for -1 day. Highly effective at doing...something, I'm sure.

Obscure Node
    One thing you guys might find interesting:

It has an Offline mode. It's not official, you can use it by opening the game directly from a shortcut to the .exe and adding the "/offline" sufix. (game.exe, the default shortcut creatd by the installer, is the launcher, instead create the shortcut to "might and magic heroes VI.exe") So it would be something on the lines of this: "D:\Might & Magic Heroes VI\Might & Magic Heroes VI.exe" /offline

That makes it open in offline mode, you don't get the dynasty whatamajinks, but you also don't get kicked to the menu if you get a lag spike so... might want to try it. Cheers!

Well apparently (and this is absolutely outrageous, RPS should definetly mention this) the DRM is integrated into the game design. As in, you can get some mighty powerfull gear, but it gets stored, and you can only use it if you're online. So basically, there's items in the classical term, and then you find a super powerful item and go "weeeee" until you see that you can't equip it if you're offline. In your single-player game.

Being online also seems to give you more bonuses like starting resources and units on the singleplayer campaign whic means that either:
    a) The game becomes more difficult (maybe even impossible?) for players without internet or
    b) The game becomes unbalanced and very easy for those who conect.

Basically, It's top-of-the-line intrusive DRM, it gets into the gameplay itself. Please RPS, talk about this, Ubi has really gone too far this time.

Edit: Oh and also, their DRM works so well that the game is already on torrent sites, and reported working fully offline.
    Oh, what the crap. Serves me right for pre-ordering a Ubisoft title, I guess. But I agree, this shit is unacceptable and I'd also like to see RPS staff comment on this.

Obscure Node
    Another thing I found out about the dynasty gear, is that it's not just Items that you find or get as reward of quests, some of them are story-important.

As an example, the very first one you get, by completing the first level. You don't just find it, a main character comes at you and says "Here, this is your father's sword [and then some other stuff about it that I won't spoil, but it ties into earlier dialog and gives the sword more story value]". And that's the dynasty item, THE FREAGGIN' SWORD OF YOUR FATHER. That's not just random gear, it's gear with character, and you can't use it if you're offline.

Also, you get to choose a starting bonus at the start of every map, like starting resources or troops. Oh wait no you don't, they're "dynasty bonuses", which means you only get them if you're online.

Oh and another thing, there are sets now (think Diablo item sets). Now I don't know if dyansty gear plays a part on sets, but if it does, then it's even more horrible, as you could get an entire set but lack the final item because you're not conected. Again, haven't actually seen confirmation of this, and since dynasty items level with you, I think they might remain independent.

BTW, the conflux orbs work as a sort of message you leave for your friends on the level, think Demon's Souls. Not exactly a bad idea (and it's not TOO gameplay intrusive, even if you can't unsee them and they keep reminding you that you're offline)

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    And that's the dynasty item, THE FREAGGIN' SWORD OF YOUR FATHER. That's not just random gear, it's gear with character, and you can't use it if you're offline.
    Well, to be fair, your father's sword makes sense as a dynasty item by the definition of "dynasty." A load of crap overall, tho.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    When people say the pirated version is 'fully working' offline, does that included these Dynasty items and stuff?

Because to be honest, I can personally get behind this as DRM if it actually works. If pirates miss out on a bunch of content which legit players get, while the game is playable in a cut-down form offline, then it's not so bad is it?

Obviously if it doesn't work and the pirated version is superior then that's an entire other thing. But giving legit purchasers extra stuff pirates don't get? Shouldn't that be encouraged, at least in theory?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    frozenkex at 2011-10-13 17:04 CET:
    Plenty of game features (Dynasty items and traits) do not work in offline mode.
    Piratebay comments.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    But giving legit purchasers extra stuff pirates don't get? Shouldn't that be encouraged, at least in theory?
    In theory? Yes. In this case? It'll very likely be cracked eventually, just as AC2 was. You see early cracks with stuff missing fairly often, and then it gets proper'd a little later.

This is not in the category of stuff you can realistically restrict to legit purchasers. Stuff like physical objects, online community features, easy access to updates, multiplayer servers, etc. It's crackable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo1981 View Post
    So it's out tommorrow and I was wondering if anyones gonna be getting it? Not much buzz on this site for such a classic pc game which is a bit suprising. I just realised theres a demo so I'll give that a whirl.
    Actually, if you like the Facebook fanpage of Ubisoft and Heroes of Might and Magic, they gave a link to download the open beta version of this game. I tried it and it looks quite good. I love the gameplay and characters. The only thing I dislike about it is H6 removes the in-town scenes. Critical error!

Obscure Node
    When people say the pirated version is 'fully working' offline, does that included these Dynasty items and stuff?

Because to be honest, I can personally get behind this as DRM if it actually works. If pirates miss out on a bunch of content which legit players get, while the game is playable in a cut-down form offline, then it's not so bad is it?

Obviously if it doesn't work and the pirated version is superior then that's an entire other thing. But giving legit purchasers extra stuff pirates don't get? Shouldn't that be encouraged, at least in theory?
    No, the "pirate" version doesn't have theese things. But that's the thing, THERE IS NO PIRATED VERSION. Pirates are playing using the game's built-in offline mode (and using Ubi's servers to donwload the updates, which is hilarious). And not all legit players get this content, only those who play constantly conected to Ubi Servers. If your connection spikes, it sends you straight back to the main menu, like the other Ubi titles. Which means legit customers who don't want to have an unstable product MUST play offline, just like the pirates. And you can't go back online after that, because saves are not compatible. So if you play SINGLEPLAYER OFFLINE, and then want to take advantage of the things legit customers get, it's still a pain in the ass because of this compatibility issue.

As a form of DRM, I wouldn't suggest you get behind it. Think about it, you're not missing out on features, or game modes, or anything like that (well you miss out on multiplayer but that's a classic one and everyone agrees it's ok), the game's difficulty has to be tailored to this system, so legit players who play offline have a completely different product, all because of a whim, since you don't really, technically speaking, need a conection to equip a goddam item.

And the biggest shame? The game is actually pretty good. But they broke it on purpose for a DRM scheeme.
    Last edited by Wild Marker; 14-10-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If your connection spikes, it sends you straight back to the main menu, like the other Ubi titles. Which means legit customers who don't want to have an unstable product MUST play offline, just like the pirates. And you can't go back online after that, because saves are not compatible.
    And that's where the typical Ubisoft idiocy comes in. But if the saves were compatible, and there was some sort of grace system whereby if you lost connection, you'd keep the stuff for ten minutes or so for spikes, and after that there'd be some sort of graceful degradation, so the items would just switch off... if it actually made the game worse for pirates and people without a net connection while still being playable, but at the same didn't affect people with unreliable net connections and didn't take away too much of the game for people that want to play it in ten years when the servers are down, I can see it working.

But the caveat is that I've always been anti-DRM because it didn't work, not for some great human rights issue. Mostly because I'm selfish and if there's a way we can stop other people getting stuff for free that I've paid for then I'm on board with that.

Obscure Node
    . if it actually made the game worse for pirates and people without a net connection while still being playable, but at the same didn't affect people with unreliable net connections and didn't take away too much of the game for people that want to play it in ten years when the servers are down, I can see it working.
    Well, the jury is still out on that one. I mean, how much does not having the dynasty features actually affect the game experience is something we can't tell this early. Must play more to have that answer. However, the fact there are dynasty items which are tied to the story is already a bad point, since you're taking away story related stuff from the offline players.

Obscure Node
    ARGH! Curse me for buying UBI!

Can't connect to their crappy online service for 12 hours now, tried the offline mode and guess what.... I DON'T HAVE ANY SAVES! My save games are only available in online mode! ARGHHHHH, last time i purchase UBI.

I must admit, making key storyline artifacts only available to players with a permanent online connection is pretty insidious stuff. And if do choose to go online to use the items, your saves are synced depriving you of offline play in campaign mode? Stupid stupid stupid.

I've already decided to hold back on a purchase due to the close proximity of Skyrim, but this just makes we wanna delay buying it further until a full offline crack is released.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidorovich View Post
    I must admit, making key storyline artifacts only available to players with a permanent online connection is pretty insidious stuff. And if do choose to go online to use the items, your saves are synced depriving you of offline play in campaign mode? Stupid stupid stupid.

I've already decided to hold back on a purchase due to the close proximity of Skyrim, but this just makes we wanna delay buying it further until a full offline crack is released.
    Yup. I'm an ardent defender of HOMM V, if Ubi could bring themselves to treat their customers with a modicum of respect this would have been an easy preorder. As it stands, I may never buy the thing.

Obscure Node
    Already asked and got my refund. Never in my gaming experience have i been treated so bad. I can take the flickering mouse, i can take day 1 bugs and patches, but i cant understand why i was...

Locked out of MY saves.
    Locked out of MY gear.
    Locked out of MY traits.
    Because someone forgot to feed the server hamster.

While the pirates are having a better experience the me, a paying "customer" (or Ubi's cash cow).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Hahahahaha a friend came this afternoon to play a hotseat together. Mid turn "connection dropped" and we had to re-do 10 minutes of the turn. Lost half the troops I did initially tho :p

I'm quite enjoying the single-player mode, despite some of the flaws in the game.
    http://xovsps4.com/playstation-4-vs-xbox-one/ - The ultimate buyers guide for choosing the best console.

Care to elaborate?