Thread: IndieCade 2011

Network Hub

IndieCade 2011

Adam Smith posted about this back in September, and the event has come and gone. None of the new submissions are available on the site yet, however. Anyone know how long this process usually takes? I'm pretty excited because I just found out that Tale of Tales put up a new game for this year's event.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by outoffeelinsobad View Post
    Adam Smith posted about this back in September, and the event has come and gone. None of the new submissions are available on the site yet, however. Anyone know how long this process usually takes? I'm pretty excited because I just found out that Tale of Tales put up a new game for this year's event.
    Is that sarcasm?

Of all the millions of games available, you're excited by a Tale of Tales game?

Quote Originally Posted by redox View Post
    Is that sarcasm?

Of all the millions of games available, you're excited by a Tale of Tales game?
    To each it's own (without sarcasm).

Network Hub
    @redox: No, I wasn't being sarcastic. I apologize for having an opinion which is not the same as yours.

Do the adults have anything to say?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Results got out some days ago, so...catch up, son. Anyway most of them aren't even released yet, but for me aside from that Bubble Bubble clone the other ones that I could try were weaker than Desktop Dungeons, Monaco and the others. Too "artie" and too few gameplay to my tastes.
    Last edited by pakoito; 13-10-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Network Hub
    I dunno. Proteus looks pretty neat; like someone took Jim's exploration game idea and ran with it. The Swapper looks like Trine in space.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by outoffeelinsobad View Post
    @redox: No, I wasn't being sarcastic. I apologize for having an opinion which is not the same as yours.

Do the adults have anything to say?
    I honestly thought that you were taking the piss.

And I still do. I mean, "excited" for a Tale of Tales game? Really?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Honestly. Tale of Tales don't even put explosions in their "games." Not one explosion. Unacceptable.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Honestly. Tale of Tales don't even put explosions in their "games." Not one explosion. Unacceptable.
    Nope. You're correct. But somehow they intentionally include boredom.

I seriously doubt that Tale of Tales games are for you.

Network Hub
    I seriously doubt that Tale of Tales games are for you.
    Something you could've brought to my attention before I bought The Graveyard and The Path on Steam!

Me talking to myself while playing The Path - Hey, I've found a bath in a forest. This, THIS IS FUN!

I started cutting myself when I found the bath. Too much fun is bad for you.

That's my point. Going into a Tale of Tales game expecting "fun" or "entertainment" is going in with the wrong mindset. I played The Path for about 20 minutes and haven't touched it since, but that's because I wasn't and haven't been in the right mood for it. I wouldn't go into see Michael Haneke film in theaters, stand up, and loudly complain that it's "slow," for example.

Network Hub
    That's my point. Going into a Tale of Tales game expecting "fun" or "entertainment" is going in with the wrong mindset. I played The Path for about 20 minutes and haven't touched it since, but that's because I wasn't and haven't been in the right mood for it. I wouldn't go into see Michael Haneke film in theaters, stand up, and loudly complain that it's "slow," for example.
    No, you shouldn't do that. What you should do is by the dvds, watch them for 20 minutes and knock them off.

It took me a lot less than 20 minutes for me to realize that the walk speed in The Path was absolutely painful, while 20 minutes of a Haneke movie will barely scratch the surface of the plot. I like different things in my games than I do my movies, but I still think the analogy is an apt one. Troll on.

Network Hub
    I was wrong, in any case. Tale of Tales have not developed anything for IndieCade. They presented during a panel on experimental gameplay and talked about their newest project, cncntrc, for which they've created a "research stream" here: http://cncntrc.tumblr.com/

Looks like they're working towards something that positively juxtaposes sexuality and spirituality, obviously. Dunno what that means, but I'm sure it'll be interesting, even if it's complete bullshit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    That's my point. Going into a Tale of Tales game expecting "art" or "gameplay" is going in with the wrong mindset.
    Fixed for you. Tale of Tales is the very worst of the indie "art games", which are usually pretty poor in terms of art, and barely qualify as games. Their interviews pretty much prove they're out to make money for their pretentious creations which they can freely admit have no real meaning or message. It's a pretty basic attempt to get paid for making abstract art, because dressing "art" (even abysmal art) up like an indie game will cause a legion of fans (and sites like RPS) to load praise onto it for ages. Meanwhile, they're making them as "indie games" because they know if they simply labelled them as "art" nobody, not even the pretentious hipsters who cheered for Interior Semiotics, would give it a second glance, let alone throw money at it.