Direct2Drive & patching

Hi all,

The THQ sale inspired me to reinstall my D2D copy of Red Faction: Guerrilla. On a modern machine, with a gamepad, it's actually a lot of fun.

However, I note on the sales page for the game, that it's version is 1.0. I can't verify right now, but do you know if patches work with D2D versions, or does D2D supply the patches? I'm tempted to buy it on the Steam sale if I can't get my D2D version patched.

Regards,

P.

Network Hub
    GFWL supplies the patches

it supplies them in a way that will make you angry if you're running on a 64-bit machine
    a grumpy dude with a PHD in videogame debating

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Really now, if its GFWL patching you might be better getting the game on steam/impulse.

Wierdly my copy of Red faction Gorrilla from D2D activated on impulse.... No idea where that came from.

Quote Originally Posted by acidtestportfolio View Post
    GFWL supplies the patches

it supplies them in a way that will make you angry if you're running on a 64-bit machine
    Doh. However, I have downloaded patches for GWFL games before. Would this one work, for example?

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/r...tch/35611.html

Actually, I notice that one change in that patch (no. 2) is a V-Sync option. Since my installation already displays that option, I presume my version is already patched. So hurrah!

However, in patch 1, "5.1 Surround Sound was not working properly for some users" was fixed allegedly, but it's still broken for me. (The sound is atrocious until I change it to stereo in both my Creative audio panel and my Windows sound control panel.)

P.

Network Hub
    if you can find manual patches and do it that way, you'll end up saving a lot of headache

i remember trying to play a patched version of red faction guerilla on 64-bit windows

i spent an hour doing the update cha-cha until i had to set a command line something in order to get it to install properly (don't quote me on this, i have blocked out most of the experience including the solution)
    a grumpy dude with a PHD in videogame debating