Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar

Memoir '44 Online

Has anyone given this a whirl? I was wondering how it stands up to the boardgame which I'v been tempted by for awhile, and if any hiveminds are about any chance Rab might be giving this a write up?
    Last edited by LowKey; 13-10-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Oh? Online version?

I really enjoy the boardgame. The sessions are very short and snappy. Bad luck with card-draws will have more disastrous results than bad dice rolls though, and bad dice rolls screw you in the same way the dreaded doubleskull in Bloodbowl does.

(Some of this can be mitigated by houserules allowing a preselection of cards, though.)

It's a good game, a very enjoyable and clever system, and if you could link me to the online variant, I'd love to have a look?
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Tis a F2P thing on Steam. Be interested to see how it stacks up against the boardgame.

Obscure Node
    Free on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/108210/

bah picked at the post

Heh, didn't realise it was on steam! I found it through the Days of Wonder site.

Just recently got the boardgame, and been practicing on the AI on the online version. Both very good. Thing which really grabs me about the game is the way the tactics change so much dependant upon scenario, and how much of a different feel that gives. In one you might be forcing your way up sword beach, the next trying to hold off the germans in a last ditch russian defence.

The AI on the online version is pretty solid, so it is good to practice against.

Also if you go to the DoW site, you can get unlimited trial accounts. Bit cheeky I know, but the amount of fun I had did make me decide to buy the boardgame.

Ooooh! I am extremely excited to see it on Steam.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Ooooh, I'll check it out on Steam. Thanks for the heads-up!

Good AI is fantastic news, too!
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Oooh, this looks very awesome, thanks! I shall be downloading it and trying to persuade my girlfriend to play. What are the limitations to not paying, how many games can I play?

If they did Battles of Westeros I would die from happiness, love that board game.

Quote Originally Posted by TimA View Post
    Oooh, this looks very awesome, thanks! I shall be downloading it and trying to persuade my girlfriend to play. What are the limitations to not paying, how many games can I play?

If they did Battles of Westeros I would die from happiness, love that board game.
    I'm guessing around 25 games. I'm downloading it when I get home, so I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    I'm guessing around 25 games. I'm downloading it when I get home, so I can see.
    It depends upon the maps.

Some are 2 gold per map, some 3, I think it can go up to 5. You get 50 gold with the trial.

Generally you want to play the western front maps first. They are easiest for an introduction. Most of these are 2 gold, with the higher prices being attached to more complex maps.

It seems like 20-25 games depending upon the cost of the scenarios. Bit put off by the pay-to-play model. Not sure I want to get into something that's going to charge me each time I play it, seemingly even against the AI.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    hmm seems fair enough for a taster, but ill probably buy the boardgame over spending on the online one, however I think its a nice idea as I dont really get the chance to try boardgames before I buy

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    hmm seems fair enough for a taster, but ill probably buy the boardgame over spending on the online one, however I think its a nice idea as I dont really get the chance to try boardgames before I buy
    The prices on the online seem pretty good to be fair. Although saying that I haven't bought any "war gold" either.

I think you can also get more gold by registering any Days of Wonder games you buy. Not tried it yet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I quite enjoy it but I don't like pay-per-play systems.