Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

So Microsoft's Zune Is History Now...

I read some news that Zune has been announced to be officially out of production, though warranty services remain. I remembered that it was introduced some time after i-Pod. I can't afford an Apple device yet, so I really have no idea what's so unique about Apple computers and electronic devices. MP3 is all about ripping from CDs and being played on any MP3 players, right? I really dont understand why some enjoy so much success and some suffer some such failure.

Really bad news, mates. That says Microsoft would have difficulties entering portable game hardware market it cannot overcome. Plus Windows Mobile isn't doing very well.

Network Hub
    apple's ipod provided an experience of playing music

microsoft's zune was obviously trying to steal some of the thunder from apple, but it could never gain any foothold in the mp3 market

mainly because microsoft (as usual) did dumb shit
    a grumpy dude with a PHD in videogame debating

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Expected. I'm not a hater, but the architecture of both is sub-optimal for developers and users.

Quote Originally Posted by acidtestportfolio View Post
    Urrrrrrrgh.

A shame, hopefully they still continue the development on the Zune media player software or whatever it's called, it's been quite good software as compared to Windows Media Player and I occasionally use it instead of VLC, especially when watching multiple episodes from a series. And the music browser is neat too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by acidtestportfolio View Post
    What's that supposed to mean?

There've been MP3 players before the iPod, and pretty much every cell phone in existence now can play music.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Zune was stopped because Windows Phone IS a Zune, but with a phone attached. And they are great by the way, I just replaced my smelly old Android with one. Not only are they great, it only cost me 100 with no contract!

As for it not doing well, it's bizarre. One of the few products Microsoft make that is fantastic and better than the competition and it doesn't sell very well. But most of their other shovelled out crap sells by the bucket load. If they stick at it I do think they may be able to dominate the market over time as people slowly become exposed to it.
    Last edited by CuriousOrange; 13-10-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousOrange View Post
    As for it not doing well, it's bizarre.
    I haven't been keeping up on it lately, but I do remember it took them forever to release the promised first update to enable some basic features. Even Paul Thurrott, Microsoft Fanboy #1, was bitching about it. It was a really poor first impression to make in the nerd-market, at least.

Not only are they great, it only cost me 100 with no contract!
    Unlocked? And not a total piece of crap? That's very surprising.

Yep, unlocked. Admittedly second hand, but unopened. It's initial release was indeed wobbly, but it only took a few months to 'fix' it. But nearly a year to actually make it the best OS imo, that being the Mango update, which I assume you are referring too.

But, I don't think that is too bad a time frame, it definitely took Android longer than that to be even usable. I've never had an iPhone so I can't comment on that one.

Also, I can really see why it's a bit of a Marmite thing. I think it looks gorgeous, but I've heard some people hate the way it looks.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    The demise makes Turbo's paean somehow more poignant.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    i really dont understand why some enjoy so much success and some suffer some such failure.
    Apple is one of the better companies out there in marketing their stuff. They use lots and lots of methods to make masses want their products.

it is not about the quality of the hardware (it is actually small part of apple success) They make Apple trendy, they make people proud for buying their products, they make people believe to be part of something bigger.

Microsoft because of its household name and much hatred for windows cannot market its product like apple does. It cannot create social situation when people go and buy the product only because its microsoft's product and it is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    it is not about the quality of the hardware (it is actually small part of apple success) They make Apple trendy, they make people proud for buying their products, they make people believe to be part of something bigger.

Microsoft because of its household name and much hatred for windows cannot market its product like apple does. It cannot create social situation when people go and buy the product only because its microsoft's product and it is cool.
    At the same rate, Apple's attitude has backfired before, allowing Microsoft some inroads.

The ads are adapted from a near-identical American campaign - the only difference is the use of Mitchell and Webb. They are a logical choice in one sense (everyone likes them), but a curious choice in another, since they are best known for the television series Peep Show - probably the best sitcom of the past five years - in which Mitchell plays a repressed, neurotic underdog, and Webb plays a selfish, self-regarding poseur. So when you see the ads, you think, "PCs are a bit rubbish yet ultimately lovable, whereas Macs are just smug, preening tossers." In other words, it is a devastatingly accurate campaign.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    At the same rate, Apple's attitude has backfired before, allowing Microsoft some inroads.
    Well, it was definitely intentional. Look at the US version - everyone loves John Hodgman, nobody cares about the slightly obnoxious Mac whatshisface. The PC is supposed to be the relatable character; it's an ad for "switchers".

As for backfiring, I'm almost certain that Mac market share has been creeping gradually upwards throughout the past decade.

The Zune was a damn good product and far superior to the iPod in just about every way. It's rather unfortunate.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Well, it was definitely intentional. Look at the US version - everyone loves John Hodgman, nobody cares about the slightly obnoxious Mac whatshisface. The PC is supposed to be the relatable character; it's an ad for "switchers".

As for backfiring, I'm almost certain that Mac market share has been creeping gradually upwards throughout the past decade.
    So casting Justin Long - who tends to play insufferable douchebags in movies where his only saving grace is being upstaged by larger insufferable douchebags like Ryan Reynolds - was a conscious decision by Apple to associate their brand as the choice of insufferable douchebags, and they did this to entice people to switch?

And Mac's global market share in terms of actual computers - which is the target the "I'm a PC" ads - is 3.4%. It shoots up to close to 10% only if you count iPads, iPhones and other iOSs, which I don't.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    So casting Justin Long - who tends to play insufferable douchebags in movies where his only saving grace is being upstaged by larger insufferable douchebags like Ryan Reynolds - was a conscious decision by Apple to associate their brand as the choice of insufferable douchebags, and they did this to entice people to switch?
    yep. pretty much what you said is the truth. Why? i don't know (well i do have rough idea) but it does work cause
    And Mac's global market share in terms of actual computers - which is the target the "I'm a PC" ads - is 3.4%. It shoots up to close to 10% only if you count iPads, iPhones and other iOSs, which I don't.
    Mac share of global market had been growing since the beginning of last decade.
    http://www.ventureoutsource.com/cont...s-forecast-con
    http://www.jeremyreimer.com/postman/node/58

and there is no indication for it stop growing in next few years.

There's just no room in the market for such a machine that isn't an iPod Touch, and Microsoft wants to consolidate its consumer ecosystems to more effectively leverage them against Google/Apple. Zune is an orphan.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    There's just no room in the market for such a machine that isn't an iPod Touch,
    Actually if they were a bit cheaper I'd have got a Cowon, they are renowned for being a better quality piece of kit in terms of sound quality but unfortunately you to pay for the better quality!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The ipod can play music?

I use it as a portable PC that I can have on my pocket. Never used it to play music. I am on the bus, and I can check things like RPS, Slashdot, other forums, webcomics. People don't understand why I am soo happy on the bus line.

Random youtube video follows

Last edited by Tei; 14-10-2011 at 05:16 PM.