Darklands now available on GOG

For $5.99 of your American dollars.

Which is nice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    On paper I know I'd rather like it, but the interface looks like making it a put-off.
    Last edited by pakoito; 13-10-2011 at 02:20 PM.

it's the way of these things. I think for that price, it's worth a punt. I've always thought it an interesting setting, and I'll definitely try it out at some point soon.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Neat. Glad it's there. Might grab it just to see if they've got better scans of the manual and cluebook and map. (EDIT: Nah, looks like the same scans that have been floating around for a while. But they made a soundtrack from the midis!)

There's nothing wrong with the interface. It's mostly quite simple and mouse-driven, and keyboard shortcuts are often highlighted. For a 1992 RPG interface, it's extremely good. Only stumbling block I can think of is character creation, where you do need to use arrow keys and +/- to allocate points.

When in doubt, use the menu at the top. It should have all available commands. The manual is also a good read if you're interested in a bit of history.
    Last edited by TillEulenspiegel; 13-10-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    The interface is indeed pretty straightforward. There are one or two functions that are silly, like setting up camp in the wilds is a random function key or something, but that's all in the manual.

I highly recommend darklands. It's a unique, excellent game, and one of very few old RPGs I enjoy. And that's not nostalgia talking - I first played it in 2005.

Ignore the fact that the cover art is awful generic musclehead aryan/titstick fantasy tart rubbish - the game's nothing like that at all.

Great character creation and development (want to be a reformed bandit who went into the priesthood? Go for it), open free roaming world, multiple solutions to most encounters, a morality system that's actually about what people of the time would consider virtuous (eg: threatening an evil, corrupt priest makes your virtue go down, because he's a priest. Doesn't matter that he's abusing his position), and a rich game world based on real history, society, and folklore of that time and region. Plus you don't have to dork about with wanky level abstraction - there are no levels. Just your skills (and main stats that decline as you age). Even the weapons aren't "5 damage 3 speed" etc. - they all have varying armour penetration and damage done is largely based on your skills. You might be a great swordsman, but if a guy in full plate armour comes your way, you're pretty screwed, because that sword might as well be made of plasticene. You'll have to take his guards out, then surround him with four guys and club him to death.

The main downside is that you'll need a pen and paper to keep track of any tasks that you're asked to accomplish (all are optional) by the guilds and so on. Also it takes a while to get a character virtuous enough to call on most saints for aid, but that's part of the challenge - wondering the countryside learning is a good excuse.
    Last edited by sinister agent; 13-10-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Someone over at SomethingAwful pointed out this pretty great analysis/video-review of Darklands.

Slightly clunky interface aside, it really does look like it holds up surprisingly well for an early 90s DOS game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    In comments to Tim Cain joining Obsidian Darklands were called true rpg by our local Wizardy

I believe that's all the recommendation we need.

I hate almost all 90s rpgs. I love darklands. For whatever that's worth.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    In comments to Tim Cain joining Obsidian Darklands were called true rpg by our local Wizardy

I believe that's all the recommendation we need.
    It is though. I'm serious. If you take a step back and actually look at it from the right perspective, it probably is the best RPG of all time. Most things you can do in the game are largely influenced by statistics and equipment. You create your party with a lot of flexibility and play out their lives with more freedom than almost all other RPGs. The combat might not be turn-based (it's real-time with pause), but the bulk of the game does not rely on player reflexes and other sins. It's just you, the player, deciding what next to do in a vast world with a party governed by their stats. It's excellent and it's so very pure.

Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    I hate almost all 90s rpgs. I love darklands. For whatever that's worth.
    Ah, so you're an 80s kind of guy.

I never saw a difference between the two to be honest. 80s, early 90s, all the same orc boring guff. I like darklands because it's about making a gang and going off having adventures in a real society, not about stabbing rats and dungeons and goddamn dragons.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    I never saw a difference between the two to be honest. 80s, early 90s, all the same orc boring guff. I like darklands because it's about making a gang and going off having adventures in a real society, not about stabbing rats and dungeons and goddamn dragons.
    Well, as long as you hate The Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age, it's all good.