Gaming book help.

Hello there.
    I'm always looking to do some more reading and currently I am stuck. Books about gaming specifically are what I am looking for. Amazon lists wuite a few but reading reviews from people who may not even be gamers mixed in with hardcore gamers leads to a massive list of confused decision making. So I thought I would come to you, the people of RPS who are of course, the bestest of people around, for reading suggestions.

I've allready bought and read This Gaming Life and Masters of Doom which I would definetly reccomend if you haven't read them and even Just a Geek though it was Will Wheaton than it was about games.

It might be too dated now but Trigger Happy by Steven Poole was worth reading back in the day.

I even found an RPS article on it: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2007...appy/#more-198

There was another one KG was banging on about in the last couple of years but I can't remember it sadly; maybe someone else will?

Might be worth asking Gillen on his formspring: http://www.formspring.me/kierongillen

Quote Originally Posted by Auspex View Post
    There was another one KG was banging on about in the last couple of years but I can't remember it sadly; maybe someone else will?
    Replay: the History of Video Games.

I bought it I did. Didn't finish it, although it's an open question as to whether that should be attributed to the book's failings or mine...

Thanks Rii; that's exactly the one I'd forgotten. There's also Michael Rose(of indiegames.com)'s 250 Indie Games you Must Play, though that might be more of a 'coffee table book' (for want of a much better term) and not what you're after TooNu.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/250-Indie-Ga.../dp/143987574X

Thankyou for your replies :)
    I'm going to wait until pay day and order Replay, while I've added the Indy game book to my wishlist and no doubt a relative will send that for Christmas. Amazon wishlists by the way, are the answer to everything gift wise. I just wish everyone used them...would make my life easier.

Difficult Questions About Video Games. That has a KG in it, plust a whole host of others from all aspects of the industry. I have a copy and if you are in the UK, i will happily donate it to you (or anyone else who wants it).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TooNu View Post
    even Just a Geek though it was Will Wheaton than it was about games.
    Likewise, I always say that Tom Bissell's Extra Lives: Why Video Games Matter should have been subtitled "Why video games matter to me". It's very personal and autobiographical, and I found that I didn't particularly care much for those details, but taking a step back from that, it does show a very human side of games, which I think is too often overlooked.

Replay is good, and full of facts and quotes from people who were there at the time, although at times Donovan's telling of the history is a little too partisan.

This book? Difficult Questions. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Difficult-Qu...8707626&sr=1-1

It has Warren Specter in it...I might have to buy it on principal. Is it really worth the time to read?

Quote Originally Posted by TooNu View Post
    This book? Difficult Questions. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Difficult-Qu...8707626&sr=1-1

It has Warren Specter in it...I might have to buy it on principal. Is it really worth the time to read?
    That's the one. I read most of it several years ago, emphasis on the most. It was hit and miss, as best I can remember. Some interesting contributions, some...well, not so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Game Over, on the history of Nintendo is fairly old but a fascinating read.

Activated Node
    I haven't read it myself but I hear Nick Montfort's book Twisty Little Passages, is really good.