Activated Node

Looking for people who don't like Warhammer 40k setting

Yes, i am looking for people who don't like Warhammer 40k setting. And no, i don't want any arguments this time around. I have already heard all the arguments, pro et contra. Everyone's arguments for it do not work out for me, and my arguments against it do not work out for everyone else. So let's just save Internet Trees by economizing Internet Paper: if you want to politely convince me that i'm wrong, call my sexual orientation into question, or shout "HERESY!", refrain from posting. I already know you exist, and you are entitled to disagreeing with me. But if you don't really like or even intensely dislike WH40k and all that it has to say, i'd like you to voice your opinion so that i can get in touch with you.
    Last edited by Kollega; 16-10-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I only like Necromunda, Gorka Morka, Space Hulk and Inquisitor. Outright 40k can fall on a row of gothic spikes.

Can I join?

Activated Node
    Uhh... that's a good question, since i've asked about disliking the setting... and i don't really get if you mean the setting or game type... then again, i've heard that Space Hulk is pretty much Aliens... good question. I should probably specify that i don't like the setting. Now what did you mean when you listed those games - settings they use or their gameplay? Because if you meant gameplay, this isn't exactly what i had in mind.
    Last edited by Kollega; 16-10-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I used to like it. The game itself I stopped playing suddenly when I realised how much money I was spending on expanding my army. The grimdark setting I lost my taste for more gradually, as it became a bit too serious for me (or, rather, I became a bit too unserious for it). I suppose the orks aren't really that serious, but I was always a Dark Angels player, and they were the seriousest.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    I'm sort-of indifferent to both Warhammer and WH40k. Is that good enough?

I used to hate whoever I was playing against in WH40K. Does that count?

Also... Finding a decent surface to play on... We played on the floor of my loft, which meant a weekend of kneeling, ice in Winter and wasps in Summer, and regularly impaling my foot on an Ork Commando or an Aspect Warrior of some description.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by westyfield View Post
    I'm sort-of indifferent to both Warhammer and WH40k. Is that good enough?
    Unfortunately i don't think so, i was looking for people who are... let's say "mildly annoyed" with it and the fanboyism for it that sometimes gets out of hand. However, i think i should congratulate you on being iddifferent: "don't give a shit" is something of a blessing these days :P

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I used to hate whoever I was playing against in WH40K. Does that count?
    Eeeeeh... not really :P

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Necromunda
    Persistent gang warfare board game, morale is super important, flanking, cover, indirect fire, campaign events like zombie hordes or police crack downs.

Gorka Morka
    It's blood bowls cousin, a turn based persistent racing game, but do I think the extrapolation of the comic relief Orks into the core topic was clever.

Space Hulk
    This requires little explanation, it's a survival horror turn based tactics game you can play alone or with friends.

A personal favourite is when there a 2 human players who are denied talking to each other while their pieces separated not even seeing their teammates pieces and the enemies not local to them which are hidden by upturned cups and take their turn separately, you just have to trust the other player realises you have abandoned sealing the second bulk head and just hurry up getting the eggs.
    Inquisitor
    It's a great what if in terms of customisation and a well established ruleset brought together you can send your team or individual into incredibly diverse combat situations, I can't think of a PC game that offers so much customisation on such a small scale.

But.. I despise the game of 40k with a passion, and all of the grandfathered in Lord of the Ring-but edgy 'iness of it all.

Space Marines, Tau, Necron , Eldar, Dark Eldar, Chaos Space marines, Khorne, Inquisitors and sisters of battle are crap and can die in a fire.

Orks, imperial guard, and tryanids make for legitimately interesting gameplay.

But when it comes to fluff if you are no friend of Papa Nurgle I guess we disagree.

Why would you get annoyed by something that doesn't effect you? Or were you 40k raped somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousOrange View Post
    Why would you get annoyed by something that doesn't effect you?
    SHUSH YOU. The Internet is serious business.

Activated Node
    Orks, imperial guard, and tryanids make for legitimately interesting gameplay.
    I agree about Orks (because they are rather lulzy, if a little mean-spirited), but Guard vs. Tyranids is pretty much Aliens or Starship Troopers movie, right? I don't doubt that Aliens-based tabletop RPG can be interesting, though.

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousOrange View Post
    Why would you get annoyed by something that doesn't effect you? Or were you 40k raped somehow?
    Why would i? Because i see the tremendous potential for lulz (i mean, ten-foot-tall catholic space Nazis? Seriously?), but the official fluff denies me these lulz. And because RPS is full of it's fanboys that constantly remind me of this "DURRSERIOUS" approach. And because i'm easily annoyed with monotone, depressively droning narration about "THE GRIM DARKNESS" of the "FAR FUTRUE" where there's "ONLY WAR". This combination of factors makes for some rageworthy moments.

In summary: make everyone like Orks, PLZ. Or i'm gonna hate.
    Last edited by Kollega; 16-10-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Nurgle brings the lols, the only chaos god, indeed the only faction that loves its members.

Hmm, my brief dalliance with Warhammer et al was back in my early teens. Under instruction from a mate who was 'introducing' me to it, I made some sort of building from a cereal box. I was quite pleased with it. When I took it round to his house, he said it was the wrong colour or some such shit. I thought 'fuck this' and spent the rest of my teenage years playing the Amiga and getting drunk.

Therefore, I have no interest in it at all.