Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Lesser Hivemind Node

A CivIV:FfH2 Diary/AAR

if anybody is interested, I've finally gotten around to giving Fall from Heaven 2 another go, and I'm going to chronicle my game on my little blog.

http://riadgameblog.wordpress.com/20...el-turns-1-37/

Let me know if there's any interest in reading the rest! Hopefully I'll get better at writing over time :)

I'm a sucker for AARs, keep it coming, may also have to investigate this FfH2.

/edit - needs RSS tho
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by ntw View Post
    I'm a sucker for AARs, keep it coming, may also have to investigate this FfH2.

/edit - needs RSS tho
    Does it not have RSS? I always thought wordpress did it automatically. I will investigate.

/edit it does have RSS... scroll down to "meta" on the right hand panel.
    Last edited by riadsala; 17-10-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Heh, I'm not used to having to *look* for the RSS button :D

Apologies, and keep posting :)
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    Oh no. Here I was thinking id just browse it, since I am quite interested in this game (However, I lost my disc of Civ IV before I could register it on stea, so I never played it). Read down, was getting into it and BAM! Diary over.
    Now im going to be refreshing the thread the whole time. Ah well.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Thanks for your interest.

I played another session last night, so I just need to find time to sort out the screenshots (which is the most time consuming part of the process). There's definitely an art (that I'm yet to learn) in choosing what to show, and more importantly, what not to show.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Ok, that's part II up. Detailing my progress up to turn 110.

110 turns and I'm still on the opening phase of the game. And this is on normal speed.

An enjoyable read, nicely done. I look forward to the next part.

I'm in the process of downloading the mod as I type this! =D

Lesser Hivemind Node
    if anybody is trying out this mod, I'm also using this AI tweak mod. No idea how good it is and how it compared to standard FfH2. But there you go.

Need moar AAR

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Chapter 3 is now up.

And chapter 4 has been written, but I want to play on a bit first to see if I can drop some details which may of may not be important later in the game.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    More, please.
    I had forgotten the way archers were in Civ IV. One of the reasons I play V is because I much prefer the combat mechanics, and I usually end up warring for a long portion of my games. Id love to see this mod in V, but somehow I dont think that is happening.
    Good diary, the right balance of information about the game and narrative.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Thanks.

It's unlikely that the mod will come to ciV as Kael now works for Stardock (trying to fix Elemental). A shame really. And while there will no doubt be a fantasy mod for ciV, well, FfH2 is pretty special and it would take something to match or better it. The mod feels pretty mature and well thought out.

Anyways, I've just finished up Chapter 6 of my AAR. I'm going to play ahead a bit, to see if I can leave mentioning some things in earlier chapters (ie, if they don't have much bearing on how the game pans out).

Any feedback on chapter length? Do you prefer easily digestible short chapters, or would you rather I did 100 turn long chapters?

Also feel free to point out any spelling/grammer mistakes. And if any budding writers want to rewrite and dramatise it all, again, feel free :p

It's all very neat riadsala, I can't recall any egregious errors and the screenshots look very nice. As for chapter length, I don't think you want them any longer than they are now, but they can vary depending on what has been happening - make them 'natural' rather than worrying too much about length. You've encouraged me to dig out FFH2 again in fact, and see if I can make sense of it this time.

More updates is my only advice ;)

Seriously - if you've draft versions of 4-6 ready already, get them up there and keep the interest going...
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    - Rakysh

Lesser Hivemind Node
    ok, as requested, i've uploaded another chapter (with a placeholder for retconning in some commentary if it ends up being relevant).

A dramatic end to chapter 4...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Righteo, that's chapters 5 and 6 uploaded. And chapter 7 is nearly done. Just need to find some time to play a bit more!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Just letting you know, it might be a little while until the next instalment. I think I perhaps played a little too much yesterday: when I went to bed last night I couldn't get to sleep and kept on playing out turns in my head. I guess Greenfield has a point... the game is ruining my brain. Aaarrgggghhhh. Now, excuse me while I order my undead horde into battle against fawns and elven assassins.

Appreciated all the installments so far, your monstrous shadow-assassin-thing sounds scary. :)
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    - Rakysh

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by ntw View Post
    Appreciated all the installments so far, your monstrous shadow-assassin-thing sounds scary. :)
    He can now attack 5 times per turn, and nearly always has a 99.9% chance of winning.

I'll probably give this a break for a few evenings, then write up the next chapter (which I've already played out).

Then might play some more next week :)