XP Verification PRBLM (What Should I DO)

Current Situation - I have reset my bios after a crash and tried to reinstall my xp oem, but I can't get past the validation key code, because I couldn't find it, I phoned ms customer support and the lady told me to phone hp or Dell about it, but my pc was custom built 3-4 years ago, so I can't get a product key.

So I've been talking with my friend and he says that he can send me a program or link to torrent file to download program to remove the verification, so I bought a flash drive and I'm going to talk with him later about?

So What Should I Do? (i have a 4gb flash drive that isn't formatted btw & remember i do own a legit version of xp)

- I'm considering just downloading a cracked xp off a bit torrent site, so I don't have to deal with useless piracy prevention activation garbage. I don't care that I will lose my files do to them being redownloadable & transferable from steam & my iPod classic?

- I know Rockpapershotgun doesn't condone piracy but I was considering pirating 7, is it a better running os, I just don't want to experience more crap?

- Should I just go with my friend and try the verification remover, has anyone tried this before?

Also - I've never used a flash drive before would it be okay to put a os and drivers on the same drive, do they need to be partitioned or in seperate folders?

There should be sticker on your computer with the product key. If they havent put one on, it may be a bit dodgy.

Anyway, I don't know if it works after after your computer is completely fried, but there is a program called produkey, I think. This will tell you what your current product keys are so that you can get them re-activated.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Just buy a copy of Windows 7 unless your hardware is abysmal.

Productkey and similar apps can fetch the key used to install the OS but if you can't boot into Windows it won't be any help. And yeah I'm pretty sure RPS doesn't allow discussion of piracy.

^ Sif buy Windows 7 now when Windows 8 will be out in less (possibly much less) than 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyJickers View Post
    There should be sticker on your computer with the product key. If they havent put one on, it may be a bit dodgy.
    If not on the PC itself, then possibly on the Windows XP CD jewel case that also should've come with your PC. If you don't have that either then yeah, it's likely your OS was dodgy from the start.
    Last edited by Rii; 17-10-2011 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    ^ Sif buy Windows 7 now when Windows 8 will be out in less (possibly much less) than 12 months.

If not on the PC itself, then possibly on the Windows XP CD jewel case that also should've come with your PC. If you don't have that either then yeah, it's likely your OS was dodgy from the start.
    ++++++++++++++++++++1

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyJickers View Post

Anyway, I don't know if it works after after your computer is completely fried, but there is a program called produkey, I think. This will tell you what your current product keys are so that you can get them re-activated.
    i will try this thanks for the help this is a life saver

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    If you can't find your key, there are plenty of ways to still use your OEM disks and bypass the windows validation thingy using a rootkit installer.

example http://www.rlslog.net/windows-7-load...9-x86-x64-daz/

Lets you still use windows update etc. But I would recommend purchasing a new product key once you can afford it, especially if you're doing any work related activities on your PC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    12 months might be a bit optimistic, I'd say 12 to 24 months. It's only just had a dev preview, no full betas or RCs or anything like that yet.

if you're in the UK just "happen" to get your hands on a .ac.uk E-mail address. With this you can get windows 7 ultimate 64 bit for 57
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.