Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar

Dungeon Siege 3 has a demo now

The demo for Dungeon Siege 3 is now available on Steam, and about 1.5 Gb in size.

Come on people, let's play this highly anticipated new installment of a classic RPG™ franchise.

I played the demo and i can't say i'm impressed,i was expecting something better.I may buy it when the price drops.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Undecided. Like most demos, it makes you wade through all the "learning curve" crap before deciding you've played too much for free and ending it. There was really only one tough fight at the end, and obviously being a short demo you get no major decisions to make and no indication of what effect your decisions might have. Being an Obsidian game I have fairly high hopes for the latter part, but the demo doesn't impress. Also some of the voice acting is horrible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Wasn't hugely impressed, It might be a decent hack'n'slasher, but it felt very consoley in terms of the control scheme (lack of key bindings will hopefully be sorted for retail) and the UI is big and ugly.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Is it me or can this only be played with a gamepad? I have an X360-pad connected, and while I could use the mouse in some menus (but not eg. the character select screen) ingame only the gamepad worked.

Worked for me with keyboard and mouse, I'm pretty sure you can disable gamepads in the main menu.

And on Twitter

I wonder why they bothered to have a health bar at all when you can just press continue on death and instantly get back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    I wonder why they bothered to have a health bar at all when you can just press continue on death and instantly get back up.
    I think that's for demo purposes because of the lack of save options, it mentions that normally you can only revive if one of your companions interact with you.

And on Twitter

Oh, okay. I don't read things in a Dungeon Siege game.

Otherwise yeah, I don't know. I'm sure there is fun to be had in Co-op, but you can say that about any game.

For single-player I found it a bit underwhelming as well.

Network Hub
    Keyboard camera controls: pissing me off since Dungeon Keeper.

Of course, DK had an excuse, since you could click on things in the world. Everything in DS3 is context sensitive, so I just press "E" when I get close enough to interact. So why am I controlling a camera with my "A" and "D" keys?

I didn't like it either, I think the "old" Torchlight is much better for example.
    if you like manga, RPG and dating sims, check my indie computer games

Network Hub
    Having played an hour or so of the demo this gets a resounding 'meh'. It's an okay hack-and-slash I guess but the controls just don't feel responsive, even with a gamepad. Both AssCreed games I've played were just so much more fluid and responsive, there's a slight delay here between pressing the button and the attack going off. I'd pay a fiver in a Steam sale I guess.

The most memorable thing about dungeon siege 2 for me was my pack mule Captain Oats, and the enormous amounts of armour he would eat. So I am disappointed at the lack of mules in the demo as far as I played.

I think there's promise there, it seems like a more tactical kind of action game than "click on everything you can see as fast as possible". The controls definitely need work, I have no idea what's wrong with WASD movement and right mouse camera control, or why I have to press E while standing in exactly the right place to collect loot, even though there doesn't appear to be inventory limits.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I got very mixed feelings from this. On the positive side, I liked the fact that even in the demo there were definite rewards for exploration away from the beaten track. Also good were the presence of stat numbers and proper levelling up screens, which often seem to be falling foul of the streamlining-for-the-sake-of-it fad that is all the rage these days. My inner kleptomaniac appreciated the sheer amount of loot, the graphics were fairly pretty (although the animations were… odd) and I liked the style – I’m not a fan of the WoW cartoon culture and, shallow as it sounds, it kind of prevented me from getting into Torchlight properly.

In terms of negatives, it feels like it lacks the same edge of silliness that made me love the original game. I also didn’t like the possible class choices – I’m a magic fan and Fiery Bint was too hybrid for my liking. Combat doesn’t seem properly balanced, at least from the mage point of view. My ranged attacks were utter crap and changing target in a crowd could have been easier, which meant I just spammed the ‘whack them with a stick’ button until everyone except me had fallen over. Also my chosen level-up spell was the one that allowed me to pull a flaming jackal from my wizard’s sleeve, which as a string of words is fun but as a reality was just some dog that wandered off if nothing was actively attacking him at the time. I already have a real dog that is totally disinterested in my well-being and that meets all my being-neglected needs.

My biggest concern was that it seemed quite plot heavy for a demo, which makes me worry they’re going to try and segue into the Dragon Age/BG market of Some People In An Epic Tale. Rather than Some Idiots Smashing Up Narnia, which is always more what Dungeon Siege games have been about for me.

I want to like it, but I think with Diablo 3 and Space Marine coming out in the next year, they’re treading very precariously. Do I want to be able to punch dragons in the face with my Glove of Thumping? Yes. Do I want to have a party that consists of an angry armoured snowball, Geoff Capes and someone who can sneeze lightning bolts? Yes. Do I want to have to worry about some sort of plot while I do this? Not really, no.

I played it for all of 5 minutes before I quit. How does one take a Diablo-alike and make it worse? The camera/movement is absolutely awful and having to pick everything up is a chore (is there any reason I would _not_ pick something up while running over it?)

P.

Judging by the trailer at the end of the demo, there's an old man mage and a guns-and-boobies lady to round out the playable characters. I think "fiery bint", as you put it, is supposed to be a hybrid character. I actually liked how much flexibility there was in equipping your character - it's not the most intuitive system, but by equipping items that boost the right stats you can heavily change the way your character works in each form. I made her have a powerful ranged attack, so I could plonk down the fire aura thing on a chokepoint and sit behind it blasting people.

Personally I am hoping for a decent plot, because I can't sit through hours of hack & slash with nothing to keep it going.

In that case I approve because she worked very well as a hybrid, I was just concerned that she was the magic class. I agree on the equipment point, although I'm a bit worried about the point you mentioned regarding inventory size. Hoovering up everything in sight is only fun if at some point you have to make decisions about what to take and what to leave. The transmute function is a good addition because if you are stacked to the rafters with axebling you can at least get a bit of cash for the less impressive bits.

To be honest, while I like the stats, I wasn't about to learn how they all stack just for a demo, so didn't play around too heavily with different load-outs. My comments about the plot are more about the intensity of it (and to a degree how seriously it tries to take itself), because for a demo it felt like there was an unusual amount of exposition. I'd have expected more focus on gameplay mechanics (longer with Mountbatten for party play, an example of a slightly more open area for an impression of what sort of scale we can expect*, a bit more variety in the available magic than just "would you like a fiery ball or a fiery dog or a fiery stick?" etc.) than on the story.

I'm probably being picky, but I expect a demo to tell me more what it will be like to play, not what reasons I will be given for continuing to do so. When one contains so much narrative, relative to other content at least, it gives (me) the impression that will be how the game as a whole plays. Of course I want a good plot and interesting character interaction/development. I just don't want it to make the action feel like it's drip-fed in little bursts so that one becomes a distraction from the other.

*That said, I did raise an eyebrow at the large stairway room with the spiders at the bottom. Gloomy, non-vital and large? More of this, please.
    Last edited by Mouth of 10000 Teeth; 07-06-2011 at 11:50 PM.

I haven't played through all the demo yet.. just dabbled.. but man alive is it better playing with a 360 controller.

Now I know this, I will give it a proper go when I get chance.

360 controller all the way for me.

I've played through the demo three times now, and I'm really liking it. Graphics are really good, the music and sound effects are even better, I like the voice acting, difficulty is high (=good) - on hard level you die after 3-4 hits so you have to dodge and block almost perfectly to survive (people who claim you can spam attacks are talking nonsense). Seems very polished and stable so far.

Anjali was much more fun to play than Lucas, and you really ought to use a console controller for it, it controls *much* better that way.

Only downsides:
    -The sexism. All female characters have tight clothes and huge cleavage. Anjali is either flying around nude, or when in human form she has Lara Croft - Tomb Raider 3 era breasts that look like they would make her topple over, and when she runs she makes "sexy hip movements" that look impossible unless she has the spine flexibility of a cat.
    -Stats aren't explained in the demo, so you don't know what an item with "Will + 3" is good for. Unless it is somewhere in the Help menues. Perhaps it will be better explained in the full game.
    -Scrolling text with the controller is slow, and fonts are made-for-TV large.