Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar

Laptops stolen from Indie Stone (Project Zomboid)

via reddit and lemmy's twitter.

Pz will still be developed as long as we're breathing tbo

When bad luck and stupidity come together.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Not stupidity. Incompetence. What happens if there's a fire? When your code's valuable (and unless it's a tiny personal script, your code is valuable), you prepare for this shit. Always always ALWAYS. There's a pattern here and it has very little to do with bad luck.

With stuff like Dropbox making backups absurdly easy these days, there's really no excuse whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Not stupidity. Incompetence. What happens if there's a fire? When your code's valuable (and unless it's a tiny personal script, your code is valuable), you prepare for this shit. Always always ALWAYS. There's a pattern here and it has very little to do with bad luck.

With stuff like Dropbox making backups absurdly easy these days, there's really no excuse whatsoever.
    Excactly what I said on the other thread. Still, I feel bad for the devs for the theft, but not having an external repository on, say, Bitbucket (a private repo for free, FFS) is just a disaster waiting to happen.

I heart Bitbucket so much. Tons of storage, including unlimited private repos now. I push nearly everything I create to them, excepting the Super-Important-Super-Secret-Work-Stuff.

It just baffles me that any programmer these days doesn't exploit all the goodies that DVCS offers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    When I was 11 I emailed myself my homework because my physical media (floppy disks, print outs) was volatile.

Child me had that crap DOWN LIKE A DUCK.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Oh dear... it's hard to have sympathy for them this time. I know that people like to write it up like a series of unfortunate events but come on, basic backups is something that EVERYBODY should know how to do. And lemmy101's Twitter responses are... well, ridiculous as of the last few minutes.

I'd hope this is some kind of weird joke though. If it isn't though... I guess it's a cautionary tale about investing into indie games. They don't always succeed. Glad I didn't pre-order in that case!

EDIT: Guess it isn't. But the blog post is a lot more optimistic than anything from Lemmy's twitter account.
    Last edited by soldant; 16-10-2011 at 03:58 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    A cautionary tale for sure. Daily online backups and then anything you don't trust online or want to keep closer on an encrypted flash drive that never leaves your person. It can be single stroke batched every time you turn the pc on or off even. Even more secure, make your flash drive a Bios level locker so it can't be booted without it.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I guess it's a cautionary tale about investing into indie games. They don't always succeed. Glad I didn't pre-order in that case!
    That's the angry-making part for me. That people will now find it harder to trust indies who start out by selling an early alpha. This is a high-profile event that everybody will know about.

But maybe the effect isn't entirely bad. Maybe customers asking questions is a good thing. I think transparency is the solution. Developers can explain what they're doing, even talk about the technical setup. "Look, I actually kinda know what I'm doing." Being able to follow the development in detail is a nice bonus.

You can definitely still fail even if you're totally competent, but it's one big variable out of the equation.

This is absolutely awful news and my condolences go out to Lemmy but no off-site backups or even a copy of the code copied onto a portable harddrive once a week or so and kept in a drawer somewhere?

Seriously folks, if you are taking other people's money then you have an obligation to at least make some effort to protect the code.

I wonder if everyone who donated wnow have their financial details in the hands of criminals now.
    Last edited by BobsLawnService; 16-10-2011 at 08:09 AM.

A press release from TIS: http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index...ary-statement/

Oh and .... high horses and their humans.... this is what i think after reading comments on Reddit and also here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sk2k View Post
    Oh and .... high horses and their humans.... this is what i think after reading comments on Reddit and also here.
    Why? Because we're unimpressed that a developer had crap backup systems in place? This wasn't a not-for-profit or free outfit here, they were accepting money to produce a product. They couldn't be that hard up that they couldn't establish a basic off-site backup service. Sure, they lost laptops. That sucks. But to have a completely ineffective backup system in place? They should know better.

If I lost all my important data because of my lack of foresight I'd have only myself to blame and wouldn't get any sympathy. These guys don't deserve any more just because they're indie devs and had a run-in with PayPal. They're developing a game, they should know better. And then Lemmy mouthed off and they had to put up a blog post to calm everybody down. Losing the laptop to theft deserves sympathy. Losing the code and the data however does not!

Network Hub
    If we don't get refunds then they'll get reported.

Personally they'd get a bit of sympathy from me if they didn't have backups except for the fact that they are already accepting money for the game. The moment you start accepting money from people you get held to a higher standard by me. You have an obligation to protect someone elses financial investment.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Personally they'd get a bit of sympathy from me if they didn't have backups except for the fact that they are already accepting money for the game. The moment you start accepting money from people you get held to a higher standard by me. You have an obligation to protect someone elses financial investment.
    It's ironic that's that what Paypal was trying to protect (itself) from. When the project fails people will come to Paypal for their refunds.

If they deserve sympathy for anything then it's for the amount of internet scum they have to put up with atm, especially Lemmy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    My condolences to them, they had their personal space violated and must be feeling extremely vulnerable right now. Usually the act itself is more grating than the cost of the items taken.

This business about not having a backup though is unbelievably amateurish. It’s a necessity for game development, but more than that, it’s common sense. Even saying out loud feels comparable to ‘don’t touch a hot stove.’ The fact that it was overlooked even when gamers were paying them in good faith reflects very badly on their professionalism.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    It is bad that they were robbed, but I've got to agree with many of the above posters. The level of professionalism shown by that Lemmy bloke is absolutely appalling, as is the lack of any sort of fail-safe. They should have been prepared for this, even if it was just a fire-proof safe that they locked the laptops in when not being used.

If they don't collapse or disband, then I think they seriously need to get a proper plan in place.

To put things in perspective: They lost a couple of months progress. Not all progress, ever.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    To put things in perspective: They lost a couple of months progress. Not all progress, ever.
    What's the difference? It's not about how much they lost, it's about why they lost it.

I think you can feel sorry for them while still admitting that this shouldn't have happened. I certainly do.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    What's the difference? It's not about how much they lost, it's about why they lost it.
    Yes, it means that they have a system in place to fall back on, a just not very efficient one. And you knew their luck was horrible.
    I say everyone that paid knew what they were getting into, and you've had multiple opportunities to get a refund.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."