Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I bought it!

I love Last Stand and when I make a purchase I put the hours of estimated fun in relation to the price. And if it's a lot of hours of fun, for less than ten bucks, well then I'm satisfied.
    Last edited by Hanban; 20-10-2011 at 10:46 PM.
    BobHound - EVE Online

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    They're selling texture packs, good ones, but texture packs regardless for 5.
    I do think those are a rip-off. I guess compared to them it's good value.

I think the point I was trying to get at was: yes, the whole mode costs nearly the same as this and has six heroes. Think it's a rip-off? Then go play those other six heroes? I'm fairly sure most people haven't really played with all the base heroes as it is. And it's not until you hit level 6 or so that most of them really open up, and some can change dramatically as you level. Even if you don't get on with half of them, it's still three heroes... and honestly you're more likely to be bored of Last Stand entirely before you've leveled even three heroes to near maximum.

Unless you really, really like Last Stand. In which case, you'd probably pay 6 for one extra guy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Or to put it another way, I think if this was 2, a bunch more people would have bought it, played with him for a few games, remembered why they got bored of Last Stand in the first place, never go back to it, and feel a bit ripped off.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    They're selling texture packs, good ones, but texture packs regardless for 5.
    Has there ever been a Warhammer game that let you "paint" your army?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Or to put it another way, I think if this was 2, a bunch more people would have bought it
    From this thread alone that definitely seems to be the impression.

Played with one just now. They seem incredibly powerful so long as the player isn't an overwhelming idiot. I'm a little bit disappointed in the balancing, but hey. Gotta get what you pay for.

@Smashbox - I imagine that'll be something possible for DoW3, whenever that comes, but Space Marine's customiser is pretty damn detailed. Can paint every part with a variety of authentic Games Workshop colours and you have a variety of customisable armour parts. You can have 5 different appearance sets and can choose from a LOT of pre-made Space/Chaos Marine groups.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Seems to my like they're testing the waters for making DoW3 free-to-play. I mean, plenty of other people think that's where they're going with it, and whilst I don't know how they came to that conclusion initially it certainly seems to hold merit considering how much Relic are charging for all these minor bits and pieces.

And the thing is, considering the roots of the game it makes sense. I could imagine playing DoW3 F2P and even buying some of the extras if I enjoy it enough.

Anyway, I've barely touched DoW2 and have no idea what this content is worth in relation to what you'll get out of it, but no doubt it's over-priced.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Quote Originally Posted by McChubs View Post
    My mate just mentioned to me that the Tau commander DLC is out and about now. I was assuming they'd sell it for the usual 1ish price you'd expect for skins or cosmetic upgrades like that...but nearly seven quid for a single character for a minor game mode...what are Relic thinking?!
    I will go and check some trailers on Youtube first. But I always like the Dawn of War series. Typical gun-fire strategy game :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanban View Post
    I bought it!

I love Last Stand and when I make a purchase I put the hours of estimated fun in relation to the price. And if it's a lot of hours of fun, for less than ten bucks, well then I'm satisfied.
    Might as well buy a bouncy ball for 50 cents or however much they cost in America. You'd get an even better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    Seems to my like they're testing the waters for making DoW3 free-to-play.
    Oh lord I hope not! Of course, by saying DoW 3 would be heading in a more 'MMO-like' direction, I suppose that could be the case. Eek! The thing is, I reckon a lot of people play DoW not just because it's fun, but because it's nowhere near as expensive to 'create' your own army as opposed to the actual real tabletop thing. Eliminate that and I think you'd be riding off the coat-tails of previous success, but not for long.

I think what's more likely the reason here is that people are willing to pay these amounts, so Relic (or is it more likely to be THQ?) is following suit. The thing is, as much as I can justify the will to play as the Tau Commander, its pricing is just absurd. You cannot, justifiably say that for your money's worth, you get more out of it than the entire Last Stand mode that already exists. It doesn't par up.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

"Might as well buy a bouncy ball for 50 cents or however much they cost in America. You'd get an even better deal."

I have one already bouncing at my side. Certainly got my money's worth on that one.
    BobHound - EVE Online

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think what's more likely the reason here is that people are willing to pay these amounts, so Relic (or is it more likely to be THQ?) is following suit. The thing is, as much as I can justify the will to play as the Tau Commander, its pricing is just absurd. You cannot, justifiably say that for your money's worth, you get more out of it than the entire Last Stand mode that already exists. It doesn't par up.
    No, but it doesn't have to.

Because they're selling this to people that already own and have played the original Last Stand mode. It's not in competition with that so it doesn't have to be priced against that.

If I could just go and buy another copy of Last Stand, and get as much enjoyment out of it the second time as the first, then the point would be valid. But I can't.

I would also have thought that quite a few more people would have bought this DLC for 2, than have done for its price now. Those people may not even spend more than 5 hours playing with that content, but they would have still bought it.

They were thinking: "Sure its expensive, but if a hundred people alone buy this, then we will have paid the artist and coder making it"
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm torn somewhat on this.

Right, I reckon that yes, at 2, especially following the free weekend and big sale last week, they might have sold three times as many copies. Or more.

Because it's an impulse purchase price. Because you'd probably buy it if you thought you might play it at some point. I do reckon most of those people would then either not get around to playing it, or play it for half an hour, realise it's not that different to the other heroes in Last Stand which they're already bored with, and then shelve it. And probably feel like they wasted two quid.

At least at 6 it's clear who it's aimed at. The people buying it will be the ones who are sure to get their monies worth out of it. Which in some ways, is screwing the consumer a little less. Backwards I know.

I think my point is, very few people will be buying this and feeling ripped-off. They'll either buy it, knowing what they're getting and knowing that it's worth it for them, or they'll see it's 6 and know that it isn't worth it and not bother. More people would buy it at 2, but I reckon fewer of those people would feel like they're getting their 2's worth than those spending 6 on it.

(Also there's the need for a barrier to entry - if it was only 2, everyone would be using that character for the next few weeks, I mean, that's happening to some extent now and people are complaining about it in this very thread, imagine if it were only 2...)

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    If I could just go and buy another copy of Last Stand
    Tau Commander, Necron Lord...anyone else got 4 other 'hero' character possibilities from other 40K races to go with?

That's my point, price for price. See, that would seem low, but only in comparison to the other silly priced DLC. If you could buy 6 new heroes for the same price as Last Stand is now, I'd say that was fantastic value. Alas, it is not.