Sharing files between Windows 7 and Linux (Crunchbang)

So, I've spent the last few hours to get sharing to work, and this is where I am now:

Installed pyNeighborhood to Linux to give me a GUI for connecting. Now, I add my Windows-computer/sharedfolder to it, and it finds it okay. However, trying to mount that folder(I guess that's what the plug-like icon means) ends up with a cryptic error message "Mount error (gksu:13666) GLib-CRITICAL **: g_str_has_prefix: assertion `str ! = NULL'failed" which not really surprisingly doesn't give any information about the problem. I understand that pyNeighborhood should be available on most distributions, so if anyone has had any kind of problems with it and solved them, I'd really appreciate.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Samba is probably working fine if it's detecting the share. I'd *guess* that it's a bug in pyNeighborhood which is screwing up the mount command that it's sending to gksu.

I was going to suggest GNOME or KDE's built-in stuff, but I guess you're not running either. Hm.

Just try the manual method then. If that works, then it's obviously a problem with the GUI.
    mkdir ~/mnt
    sudo mount -t cifs //myserver_ip_address/myshare ~/mnt -o username=samb_user,noexec
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sa...ing_using_CIFS

Yup, using Xfce4. Trying to run from command line gives permission denied-error, so I guess there's something funky going on with that. Going to fiddle with settings on both ends to see if I can get things running - if everything else fails, I'll install Gnome.

what about if you just sudo?

iirc it then pops up with a prompt for you to enter the sudo-ed command
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh