Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node

Battlefield 3, EA, DICE and Gestapo

Hey guys, the reason why i created this thread is to show how things changed in the last years.

EA not only ruined Battlefield, but also ruined DICE.

A few days ago the news of EA manipulating Battlefield 3 Reviews got out.

It not only showed a serious disrespect towards freedom of speech, but also reflected how sad the videogame industry has become.

Today, another situation happaned that clearly shows that GESTAPO is alive and kicking after all. A few days ago, DICE shared some 'new informations' regarding some 'features' BF3 was supposed to have, and that got my attention, and so i decided to make this thread.

And you know what? After 24,000 views, 1500 likes, 600 replys and 23 pages , the topic was closed.

No new information was given, besides Mr.Daniel Matros, AKA Zh1nt0, the Community Manager, inviting 3 random fanboys for tea and to talk about battlefield 3.

I just wanted to share this act of dictatorship with you guys and hope that this thread wont die.

Cheers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    You know who else liked to compare people to Nazis...?

Network Hub
    holy shit companies manipulate video game reviewers to make sure they get the best reviews?

this is unheard of
    a grumpy dude with a PHD in videogame debating

Network Hub
    EA are fast destroying the good reputation they slowly rebuilt a few years ago. After Hot Pursuit I wasn't sure if I wanted to ever have any dealings with them again ("Project Ten Dollar" makes their attitude very clear by its name alone) but it was the way they've promoted BF3 that finally convinced me I don't want to be their customer any more.

Thanks for the link.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by acidtestportfolio View Post
    holy shit companies manipulate video game reviewers to make sure they get the best reviews?

this is unheard of
    LOOOOOOL

yeah.... seems so... -___-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    EA are fast destroying the good reputation they slowly rebuilt a few years ago. After Hot Pursuit I wasn't sure if I wanted to ever have any dealings with them again ("Project Ten Dollar" makes their attitude very clear by its name alone) but it was the way they've promoted BF3 that finally convinced me I don't want to be their customer any more.

Thanks for the link.
    Wait. There was a time in EA's history when they weren't rapacious, money-grubbing bastards?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Wait. There was a time in EA's history when they weren't rapacious, money-grubbing bastards?
    Yeah, it's called Mirror's Edge 2.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Yeah, it's called Mirror's Edge 2.
    so you're a time traveler?
    a grumpy dude with a PHD in videogame debating

So, if I read the original news correctly, EA just send them a questionnaire about their past experience with Battlefield-games. No one they said that wrong answers would lead to receiving no copy (though one may draw some implications from the fact that questionnaire was sent). And, if the comments in the blog are correct (I honestly don't know, since I don't follow Norwegian game reviewers), there might be some reason why they are doing it. Whether it's acceptable or not, well, that depends on what you personally think.
    Except it wasn’t very good journalism as Toshiro got the story somewhat wrong. It’s been abundantly clear that some of the Norwegian review sites have been in Activision’s back pocket given the disproportionately low reviews of BFBC2 relative to the average on metacritic. Something was going on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by acidtestportfolio View Post
    so you're a time traveler?
    Why do I need to be? The on/off confirmations are confirmation that it's at least being thought of. If EA were truly as "money grubbing" as people say they are, then they'd be putting their resources into more popular and bigger selling titles.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Why do I need to be? The on/off confirmations are confirmation that it's at least being thought of. If EA were truly as "money grubbing" as people say they are, then they'd be putting their resources into more popular and bigger selling titles.
    I don't have a copy in my hands. Your premise is false.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Gestapo is the wrong name; not just in this case, but in general (it was merged into the RHSA in '38, and before that was a purely Prussian affair). They're most similar to the Sicherheitsdienst with perhaps a few Sicherheitspolizei touches. Yeah, I know it's hard to see the difference between the two, as they both had 'SD'-armbands.

Also, unappropriate.

Network Hub
    Nazi comparisons? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by GothicEmperor View Post
    Gestapo is the wrong name; not just in this case, but in general (it was merged into the RHSA in '38, and before that was a purely Prussian affair). They're most similar to the Sicherheitsdienst with perhaps a few Sicherheitspolizei touches. Yeah, I know it's hard to see the difference between the two, as they both had 'SD'-armbands.

Also, unappropriate.
    Really?

Really?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Shhh, I want to see where this is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Shhh, I want to see where this is going.
    If anything, EA are more like Pol Pot, what with destroying an entire generation of developers.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Meanwhile: -

OMFG

*Sharpens knife*
    *Packs Chute*
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    If anything, EA are more like Pol Pot, what with destroying an entire generation of developers.
    I'd liken them to Galactus, Devourer of Worlds, myself. Or Cthulhu.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The funny thing is, EA are publicly traded. Ultimately, they're controlled by their shareholders in concert.

Private companies like Valve, or singularly owned indie devs are far closer to dictatorships.

Also, the fact I could click on your link and the thread was still there makes them the worst censors ever. Is the game even out yet? You're not even their customer, you post a whole bunch of things on their servers about how bad a game you haven't even played is, and they just lock the thread but leave it up there for everyone to read.

It's possible you might have some valid points in there, but when you start going on about the nazis I'm far more tempted to ignore everything you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Meanwhile: -

OMFG

*Sharpens knife*
    *Packs Chute*
    NOLF had a better parachuting segment. I said it.