Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 588
  1. #461
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    Balls don't tend to be a focus of sexual desire, though. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Tits or GTFO" in real life either (at least not from anyone older than 10) and from my own (obviously subjective) experience women are just as likely to objectify men as men are women, as are gay people their respective objects of desire. People are jerks.
    I dunno if your denseness is deliberate or unintended, so I'm going to assume you're playing devil's advocate.

    Men get viewed as sex objects, yes. Men as a gender, however, are not objectified.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  2. #462
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Men get viewed as sex objects, yes. Men as a gender, however, are not objectified.
    I'd disagree. I think women can objectify men just as bad as men can objectify women but it isn't as prolific in society. There's quite a number of adverts (to use a common example of objectification) where a man is reduced to just his chest and "fit body".

    It's certainly the case that women are generally what's being objectified, though.

    But if anyone doesn't believe what I'm saying, I'm just gonna say "TwiMoms" and leave it at that.


  3. #463
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I dunno if your denseness is deliberate or unintended, so I'm going to assume you're playing devil's advocate.

    Men get viewed as sex objects, yes. Men as a gender, however, are not objectified.
    Not to the extent that women have been throughout human history to the point where objectification of women became the norm, but if you honestly think there aren't plenty of both men and women who treat members of their preferred sex as nothing but objects of desire then, jeez, I don't know what to tell you other than that you're wrong.

    Perhaps you live in a patriarchal utopia where women still aren't allowed to act as badly as men, but I did say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    from my own (obviously subjective) experience

  4. #464
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    I'd disagree. I think women can objectify men just as bad as men can objectify women but it isn't as prolific in society. There's quite a number of adverts (to use a common example of objectification) where a man is reduced to just his chest and "fit body".
    So why is it that Hillary gets pilloried over her looks and fashion where Newt doesn't?

    You're both misreading me. God knows there must be some misandrists out there. But they don't affect me, nor is it a social norm. Men overall are not objectified. My life is not adversely affected because I don't go out in makeup.
    Last edited by Nalano; 24-03-2012 at 10:22 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  5. #465
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    So why is it that Hillary gets pilloried over her looks and fashion where Newt doesn't?
    Good going on missing out half of what I said.


  6. #466
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Good going on missing out half of what I said.
    Good going on missing what I was saying. But you're good at that.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  7. #467
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    So why is it that Hillary gets pilloried over her looks and fashion where Newt doesn't?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newt_Gingrich
    This guy? Because he is a silver fox.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  8. #468
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Good going on missing what I was saying. But you're good at that.
    Pot calling the kettle black there, I'm afraid.

    By the way, you are held to standards in society. Not the same ones as women (ergo your 'make-up' point is bullshit, and you know it), but you're certainly held to standards. How you have your hair, how you dress, your facial hair, your fragrance (or lack thereof) and so on - it affects how people look at you. If you went out wearing a pastel-coloured t-shirt, pale blue jeans, had your t-shirt tucked into your jeans and so on, you would not be considered attractive. Why? Because that is what society dictates.


  9. #469
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    So why is it that Hillary gets pilloried over her looks and fashion where Newt doesn't?
    Because a lot of Americans aren't used to female politicians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    You're both misreading me. God knows there must be some misandrists out there. But they don't affect me, nor is it a social norm. Men overall are not objectified. My life is not adversely affected because I don't go out in makeup.
    What if you went out with makeup?

  10. #470
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Akhtala
    Posts
    335
    Women seem to regularly objectify each other regardless of sexual preference. Look at Heat, Cosmo or any of the rest for the easiest example. Men's objectification of each other (beyond possible sexual attraction) is pretty non-existent. Seems like a fairly simple indicator of a widespread difference in general society when it comes to gender + objectification.

    Don't really see anything to disagree with in what Nalano's saying beyond the caveat that of course men are also judged by their appearance.


    But looking over the last 2 pages in full I think I've discovered another thing I will never understand :)
    Last edited by Theblazeuk; 26-03-2012 at 03:34 PM.

  11. #471
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I guess i dont understand why gamers cant be more mature in there liking of women and stop drooling all over them like teenage boys.
    A lot of them are teenage boys. It's something that's developed fairly recently though, probably in an attempt to make gaming less 'geeky'. When magazines like Nuts and so on sell in their thousands, it's clear everyone is drooling over women. Gaming is just following suit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    If you went out wearing a pastel-coloured t-shirt, pale blue jeans, had your t-shirt tucked into your jeans and so on, you would not be considered attractive. Why? Because that is what society dictates.
    Aww shit I need a new wardrobe.

  12. #472
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,389
    t's something that's developed fairly recently though, probably in an attempt to make gaming less 'geeky'.


    Ironic because to me it makes it feel a lot more geeky.

    I cannot understand how the sun hates me so much, I really need to do a lot of work and it just keeps on shining really nicely outside making me want to go down to the beach and have a BBQ I hate the sun.

  13. #473
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Bishopric of Utrecht
    Posts
    2,221
    Why people continiously post spoilers in threads which are either not speficially marked for spoilers whilst threads exist that are, or why people post spoilers in forums which have a strict no spoiler policy...

  14. #474
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Why people continiously post spoilers in threads which are either not speficially marked for spoilers whilst threads exist that are, or why people post spoilers in forums which have a strict no spoiler policy...
    Because they're dicks.


  15. #475
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,389
    Sometimes its hard to discuss a certain thing without getting into spoilers I would guess sometimes. If people clearl write Spoilers in there post I don't have a problem if they don't then yeah there dicks though when is a spoiler big enough to not be a spoiler anymore?

  16. #476
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    When sufficient time has elapsed for it to be safely assumed that the majority of readers involved in a discussion have experienced that moment.

    But even then, some games tend to not have their spoilers directly mentioned. If you say "the WYK moment in BioShock", people know what you mean but it doesn't directly create a spoiler, if you get my meaning? It alludes to an important moment, but unless you can work out the meaning of 'WYK', it means nothing to the reader.


  17. #477
    Lesser Hivemind Node Keep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Library Bar
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Sometimes its hard to discuss a certain thing without getting into spoilers I would guess sometimes. If people clearl write Spoilers in there post I don't have a problem if they don't then yeah there dicks though when is a spoiler big enough to not be a spoiler anymore?
    When it's been in the Simpsons, when it's popped up in a sketch-show or in some late-night talk show host's monologue, when it's become a meme so common there exist a body of people who never saw the original movie/played the original game but who get it nonetheless.

    Otherwise, just let people know, spoilers coming up.

  18. #478
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Three miles from the nearest bus stop
    Posts
    1,133
    Discounted games on Steam. I though the whole point of using steam was to get away from sails.

    ...I'll get my coat.

  19. #479
    Network Hub FuriKuri!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK of A
    Posts
    235
    I don't understand how people can live with themselves after making such horrible puns.

    I hope your coat is on fire, sir! ;)

  20. #480
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,906
    Terrible things done with the human language.
    Do you mean to say the pun-question is not clearly settled in your minds? Let me lay down the law upon the subject. Life and language are alike sacred. A pun is primâ facie an insult to the person you are talking with. It implies utter indifference to or sublime contempt for his remarks, no matter how serious.... People that make puns are like wanton boys that put coppers on the railroad tracks. They amuse themselves and other children, but their little trick may upset a freight train of conversation for the sake of a battered witticism.
    Says Edgar Allen Poe: “..the goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability.”
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •