Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I dunno, I think it's much nicer if your Arch Enemy is an Obvious Villain. You definitely don't want your Arch Enemy to be reasoned and pleasant. Then you;d end up having to constantly reassess all your beliefs on the way to work every morning, and that would be way too much effort.

These days though I get by quite nicely on Metro, because it is inoffensive, and I can't read Dutch very well so only understand about 1/100 of the story.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    So you can't explain at all why hockey would be an exception beyond a convention for violence.

Which I am all for btw, just seems you're being a bit precious about the whole thing.
    Cannot? Hardly. It's simply something better experienced than explained. Sort of like food; I could tell you how scrumptious a particular meal is, but you're better off tasting for yourself. I encourage to play anyone who thinks they may be remotely interested. It's not for everyone certainly, but as with many things in life, judging for oneself from a position of experience is better than the alternative.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Cannot? Hardly. It's simply something better experienced than explained. Sort of like food; I could tell you how scrumptious a particular meal is, but you're better off tasting for yourself. I encourage to play anyone who thinks they may be remotely interested. It's not for everyone certainly, but as with many things in life, judging for oneself from a position of experience is better than the alternative.
    So, now that you've completely negated the entire history of sports writing in one paragraph, what's your encore gonna be?
    Last edited by Nalano; 19-04-2012 at 03:46 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

If you don't think experience trumps inexperience, I'd like to know why.

If you don't think experience trumps inexperience, I'd like to know why.
    You kinda need to bring forward an argument. This is really just repeating "you don't know me" and then snapping your fingers in a Z formation.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Again I agree but it's not really relevant to the discussion of why hockey should have more leeway for fights (a prohibited action) than any other sport beyond that it's a convention.

I mean if it's just convention, fine but lets cop to it. I have played hockey and was no more incited to violence than lacrosse, football or rugby. Certainly not to the extent of dropping the pretense of playing and 'accidentally' hitting someone and just straight out punching them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    the print doesn't come off on your hands.
    They ran an advertising campaign around that fact at one point. I'm fairly sure the subtext was "The Daily Mail: it won't make you black"

Still, I agree with Althea that the Mail have adopted a somewhat more sophisticated approach - they do the same thing but dress it up. For comparison you really need to look at papers over here like The Sun that have an agenda and wear it on their sleeve. They know they're tabloid trash and play up to it in a "ha ha, look at us, aren't we cheeky" kinda way. The Mail, while a tabloid in size, pretend that they're not. They pretend that they're a small broadsheet, and they're so much more sophisticated because they don't have tits in. They've also mastered the whole online thing, the recent Samantha Brick debacle was pretty much designed to inflame the internet and drive traffic, and worked wonderfully.

I encourage to play anyone who thinks they may be remotely interested.
    The problem being, there's shitloads of stuff I want to try, and not much time and money with with to try it in. And it's all constantly competing with stuff I've already done and know I'll enjoy doing again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Yes, that's basically what the DM does.
    The German punk/rock-band Die Ärtze summarized the German tabloid Bild as "Angst, Hass, Titten und dem Wetterbericht" in one of their songs, which probably isn't too different from whatever their British colleagues get up to.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    Again I agree but it's not really relevant to the discussion of why hockey should have more leeway for fights (a prohibited action) than any other sport beyond that it's a convention.
    I never suggested hockey should have more fights. In fact, it's part of the game I don't much enjoy. The same goes for the chippyness that happens after whistles in/around the crease, and especially after a solid, yet clean, hit. Were fights to disappear entirely I wouldn't miss them.
    Last edited by Fumarole; 20-04-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Why Steam's offline mode fails to work ALL THE FREAKING TIME when I am actually offline...

Germans! You say things, but they are not jokes and then you luagh anyway, leaving me smiling awkwardly and confused in the background.

Also, I know most Germans can speak and understand English perfectly fine, so why do you need to dub EVERYTHING you show on tv?

Also, your tv shows. Comissaris Rex? really? That show about highway police... what?

That said, most Germans I've met were fine people that I had a great time with, so no hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bork Titflopsen View Post
    Also, your tv shows. Comissaris Rex? really?
    Dude, don't mess with the Rex! He'll bark at you furiously then pounce your sorry ass out of a window in slow-motion when you're startled. After that, he'll just go back cuddling up in his basket whilst enjoying a Wurstsemmel, like a boss.
    That show about highway police... what?
    "Alarm für Cobra 11" ("Alarm for Cobra 11"... eh... yes) isn't to be taken seriously (I think, never watched the series myself), it's just a bit over-the-top pew-pew-wroooOO000oom-BOOOOM-pshhhhiioouuu-wrrRRRrrr silliness.
    Forum janitor in training.

Also, I know most Germans can speak and understand English perfectly fine, so why do you need to dub EVERYTHING you show on tv?

'cause do not speak english perfectly fine and so long they dub everything, it won't get any better.
    Playing: DayZ, Tribes, TF2, Magic the Gathering
    Waiting on: Torchlight 2

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    They don't speak english perfectly fine, but that doesn't stop them from using shitloads of anglicisms. They even use unnecessary anglicisms in the news. Seriously, WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by NecroKnight View Post
    They don't speak english perfectly fine, but that doesn't stop them from using shitloads of anglicisms. They even use unnecessary anglicisms in the news. Seriously, WTF?
    Hehe. Kindergarten, schadenfreude, zeitgeist, weltanschauung, angst...

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Fruppy View Post
    'cause do not speak english perfectly fine and so long they dub everything, it won't get any better.
    Although it is true that not all Germans can speak and understand English perfectly fine, reading this sentence made me smile a bit.
    Last edited by Squiz; 07-05-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    Forum janitor in training.

I will never understand why I failed to play platform games and console when I was a kid.. missed half of my life. deym

Quote Originally Posted by Kannaaashi View Post
    I will never understand why I failed to play platform games and console when I was a kid.. missed half of my life. deym
    Parents.. that's my guess.
    --under construction--

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Oh fucksticks we're being invaded.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    so... not exactly something i will never understand cause i hope i do but I don't want to create a new pointless thread.

Can someone explain to me why on twitter one of the suggested channels is my niece's?
    I used the same email as i use for facebook and it is hotmail. i am firend with her on facebook but i don't think i added her to address book (which i don't use)
    and my only two subscriptions on Twitter are two fat guys from TGS

the fuck is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    so... not exactly something i will never understand cause i hope i do but I don't want to create a new pointless thread.

Can someone explain to me why on twitter one of the suggested channels is my niece's?
    I used the same email as i use for facebook and it is hotmail. i am firend with her on facebook but i don't think i added her to address book (which i don't use)
    and my only two subscriptions on Twitter are two fat guys from TGS

the fuck is going on?
    I'm sorry, were you looking for privacy on your interwebs?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl