Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannabis

Cannabis

With all the (semi-)legalization currently happening around the world (USA, Uruguay, Spain, Italy, Czech Republic, ...), I'd like to hear what PC Gamers think about the illegality of cannabis.

Personally, I'm totally for the legalization of weed for adults.
    I'm sick of having to hide from fear of getting busted.
    I don't smoke, don't drink alcohol or caffeine, don't litter, do lots of sport, work hard (in a laboratory), am nice to others.
    But because I enjoy vaporizing the resin of cannabis buds in my free time, I'm a criminal. :(

I'm pretty much against it but I guess organised crime needs to give up one market.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I don't smoke but from both personal experience and judging by all the science I've seen it just seems daft to keep it criminalised as it's one of the least harmful things we humans get up to and isn't likely to adversely affect people around the user (especially compared to alcohol). Legalise it, tax it and everyone will be happier.

On a related note I'm also absolutely pro legalising all use of recreational drugs as our bodies are our own and the last thing an addict needs is the burden and cost of legal troubles. Distribution of drugs is another matter, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    It needs to be illegal in public, in people's homes, or dedicated buildings I'm not sure.

It's the psychotropic effects I'm concerned about, the brain damage.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I agree that weed should be banned in public. I was on gig some time ago and someone smoked pot that stank like fucking stale sweat of someone who didn't washed himself for a week or something. Disgusting.

Regular tobacco isn't better too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    Should be legal for everyone over 21. (age being because of its dangerous effects on the developing brain)
    It causes about the same personal harm as alcohol for casual users, but Is less addictive, causes far far less social harm and for those that ate addicted is the most manageable of all drug addictions (all the weed addicts I know are former heroin addicts or alcoholics, weed being a more manageable addiction)

Also ecstasy should be legal as it would save lots of lives, vast majority of "ecstacy" deaths are from dodgy pills containing Pma, m-cat, pcp and other deadly poisons. Also would probably see a reduction in use of coke and phet which are much more addictive than ecstacy and case more social harm with aggressive behaviour and what have you. E is one of the least addictive drugs because it only works properly in social situations, its boring doing it at home alone.

Also mushrooms and mescaline.

Don't expect legalization of cannabis in the UK any time soon, the brewerys and pub cos are major donaters to the Tory party.

Brain damage from cannabis use is often vastly over-estimated.
    In the past there has been massive propaganda against weed ("worse than heroin"), even false studies (one suffocating monkeys to show that brain cells die).

The media also plays it's part, last seen with that large long-term New-Zeland study.
    It showed that teens might get a bit dumber (it was so little, so they were not really sure), and adults don't have a lower IQ. The main stream media the next day: Studies show cannabis makes you dumb!

Many serious studies even suggest it can protect the brain, and help brain cells grow.

Edit:
    I agree that smoking anything (weed or tabacco) in public should not be allowed.
    Last edited by bad guy; 21-07-2015 at 01:49 PM.

It affects the developing brain. It doesn't cause schizophrenia in adults.
    Your brain isn't fully developed until your early 20s.

Short term memory loss is a thing though, but its no different to alchohol in that regard.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Abusive drinking also doesn't make you dumber, but it doesn't mean it's not harmful for you.
    Weed may be less harmful than alcohol, but it doesn't mean it's harmless drug, especially in long shot.

Alcohol (ethanol) is toxic. It kills over 70000 people a year here in Germany.
    So I wouldn't say weed may be less harmful, I'd say it is far less harmful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Did you consider that some alcholics will drink even such things as liquids used to thaw car doorlocks during icy winters, because it contains alcohol (or even denatured alcohol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol )?
    Did you consider that you can easily buy alcohol in almost every shop?
    Did you consider that much more people drink alcohol than smoke weed, especially when weed is illegal?

I'd be suprised if more than 5% is from those said liquids.

Yes I know that it's widely available (16 year olds can buy as much beer and wine here as they want)
    What are you trying to say?

I'm just saying many people die from an overdose with alcohol, or by destruction of organs when abused.

Just about everyone I know smokes or has smoked weed (including both parents). Most people I know have done ecstacy, coke, LSD and / or amphetamines too (i am from generation e). Police in UK generally turn a blind eye on weed in urban areas, they have real problems to deal with, so weed is super common on estates as its cheaper than alcohol and people on it come to the attention of the police far less than "fighting drunks"

I'm originally from inner city area.
    I've had 3 people die before they hit 40, 2 from booze, 1 from smack
    On top of that I knew 2 people that got addicted amphetamines, 2 additional guys with the booze, one with cannabis but he was alcoholic first and one with coke. Several people doing M-cat getting sectioned too, it seems to drive people nuts.
    None with e or LSD.

I would rank drugs and harm based on experience...
    Heroin
    Crack
    M-cat
    Amphetamines / alcohol
    coke
    Tobacco
    Real Ecstacy / Cannabis
    Psychedelics
    Last edited by karaquazian; 21-07-2015 at 03:18 PM.

Last edited by bad guy; 21-07-2015 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Abusive drinking also doesn't make you dumber, but it doesn't mean it's not harmful for you.
    Weed may be less harmful than alcohol, but it doesn't mean it's harmless drug, especially in long shot.

Alcohol kills brain cells
    In excess...
    Alcohol causes physical addiction which Is only surpassed by opiates and barbituates, alcoholics can't go cold turkey, the physical shock can kill them
    Changes your personality to be more aggressive
    causes haucinations and paranoia

There are no harmless drugs. Better to give people a variety to swap between though imo.

Quote Originally Posted by bad guy View Post
    Yeah, no one batters their wife, assaults a stranger or joins a riot when stoned or loved up. They do sometimes think "why am I doing this pointless dead end job" though.

That said I don't agree with professor nutt that alcohol is worse than heroin, heroin fuels prostitution, pedophile rings and people trafficking and a lot of the money ends up in the hands of Islamic terrorists so i would argue it causes more social harm than alcohol.
    Last edited by karaquazian; 21-07-2015 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    Just about everyone I know smokes or has smoked weed (including both parents).
    Not remotely true here. I ran into a lot of pot use in college, but to my knowledge, none of the people I currently know have used weed, or even experimented with it. Maybe there are some who have but haven't told me, but I kinda doubt it, given the personalities involved.

I certainly was never interested in doing it myself, but then again, I don't drink either, which makes me an outlier.

That said, I find it hard to care about pot use. It strikes me as being roughly on par with alcohol - the main danger is people doing things like driving while under the influence. It's not exactly the same, of course, since as you point out being seriously stoned doesn't result in violence the way alcohol sometimes does.

This discussion needs some serious injection of relevant sources. There should be something to be found on databases like pubmed by using terms like 'cannabis', 'adverse events', 'pain', 'relief', 'psychosis' and let's not forget 'metastudy' and 'review' as well. I also suggest to sort hits by date, as more recent publications are likely to discuss earlier findings and therefore allow for a more broad view on the topic. Here's something to start with.
    Last edited by Squiz; 21-07-2015 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added search terms
    Forum janitor in training.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    "Weed can be used as medicine" isn't really a good argument if we're talking about a legalisation for recreational use.

I might sound like I'm against legalisation, but the truth is, I just don't like some arguments there.
    They're kinda like "legalise condoms*, because they are like baloons and we like baloons (and we will use them as anticonception)", it's funny.
    Just admit you want to be legally stoned. There's nothing wrong with it, if you're an adult.

Also:
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-pro-ma...arent-helping/
    Yeah, that's Cracked article, but I think they have some good points (and sources) there.

*I know they're already legal.

Yes, I was planning on exploring the recreational standpoint.

But the medical aspect can help to understand cannabis.