Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Has anyone tried these PC games on Android? Are they good/reasonable/better?

Recently I've been tempted by a few pc games on android, but I was wondering if anyone has tried them on that platform and how they stack up compared to on PC.

Specifically, the Shadowrun games are also available on android, and beamdog has been releasing the infinity engine games on android too (Baldur's Gate, etc..)
    I haven't tried the shadowrun games on PC, but they got reviews. I've played BG1 on PC. But it's getting harder to find time to play PC games these days, and having them on a tablet might mean I actually get to play them. (plus being cheaper).

Other ones I've noticed in tablet form:
    Minecraft - 6 bucks VS 20 for the PC version. But is it the same / better / worse?
    Spacechem - I actually played an (old?) android demo, and while the game seemed like it should be able to be great on android, the tiny icons/fonts and weird controls made it clear it wasn't ported very well.
    Blood Bowl - Have this on PC, but was surprised to see it on android. I could kinda see it working if the controls are ok.
    KotOR - I'm not gonna play this on a tablet... but is it even playable?

As a related side-topic, has anyone tried running any classic PC games on android under dosbox?
    I keep getting tempted to try Darklands or System Shock 1 or Ultima Underworld on my tablet.. but I'd probably have to buy a dosbox app before finding out if they were actually playable.

PS/ I know there's already an adroid games thread, but I thought the focus here was a little different:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...n-app-purchase

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Can't say much about most of these, but Minecraft for Android is the Pocket Edition which afaik has pretty much the same content but with a lot of little differences in how things work. Movement is done with a D-pad on the touch screen which I found a little cumbersome, but it works.

I'll also take the opportunity to plug ScummVM for anyone who likes adventure games. It works really well for most games, but the touch controls aren't well suited for more than pure point-and-click which can be annoying at times. The combat and that godawful car bit in Full Throttle were (even more) infuriatingly fiddly, for example.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Kingdom Rush probably doesn't count as it was simultaneously developed, but it uses the interface well. Plants vs zombies is always asking for money but genuinely plays better on a touchscreen,collecting the sundrops no longer feels superfluous but rather part of the challenge and balance.

Bloodbowl weirdly seems to require the user have root access, which I didn't have so I couldn't play it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    I have yet to find a single, well, proper mobile game - for want of a better word (Christ, I feel dirty now) - which was "unplayable" on a tablet. When people call these things "unplayable" they usually mean "It doesn't control exactly the way I'm used to and I'm not prepared to learn". Some are not done very well, this is true, but virtual controls are much more capable than people usually give them credit for. And anything which was doable on a PC with a mouse and keyboard and a console (as in, so it doesn't need fifty key functions or whatever) is generally perfectly doable on a tablet, at least with a decent sized screen. Sometimes not even that last - Legend of Grimrock (sorry, Helio) just came out on iOS as iPad only, and you've already got people on the TouchArcade forums with jailbroken iThings hacking it to run on the 6 or even the 5S and sounding pretty happy with it.
    Steam | Tumblr (my writing) | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Spacechem - I actually played an (old?) android demo, and while the game seemed like it should be able to be great on android, the tiny icons/fonts and weird controls made it clear it wasn't ported very well.
    IIRC SpaceChem is one of those ports retaining the same interface as the PC, and those are best played on a device with a large screen to make up for the lack of accuracy. Actually, old games running at low resolutions may be more playable under that respect than modern ones, YMMV.
    Rock, Paper, Shotgonne - Come join us. We have LOOT!
    The Onward March of Bundles
    - filling your backlog since 1911
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    (Space Hulk is another one that's on tablets, XCOM too I think).

I'm thinking mainly of "PC" games that are also on tablets, rather than things like Kingdom Rush which I (rightly or wrongly) think of as more of a mobile game.
    I guess it's getting harder to define what's a mobile game and what's a PC game (with cross platform development platforms etc..), but I imagine we still have a general feel for what we'd consider a PC game or a mobile game (whatever platform it happens to actually be on).

My main motivation is that my gaming time is very limited these days, and limiting that to only the PC time makes it even more limited. Yet I have a big backlog of games that I want to play, and so if I could play them on a tablet then it'd be a convenient way to make some progress on that. For my phone, I'll mostly stick to mobile-focused games like 80days, but I wondered if my tablet would be suitable for heavier fare like PC RPGs and Strategy games.

Shadowrun, for example, sounds appealing. I heard it was a bit simple in some aspects, but that might actually make it better suited for tablets than something like KotOR. Turn based things like xcom, space hulk, blood bowl (root access? really?) seem like they might also be a good fit.
    And things like Darklands or Ultima Underworld have been on my to-play list for a decade now, but I never get around to them with all the shiny new games coming out on PC. But i have a vague feeling that the graphics and controls might be a good fit for tablets.

If they are close to the experience on PC and without major annoyances then that might be enough. If they are seriously cut back or just flat out don't suit the medium then maybe they'll have to stay on PC.

What would be really cool would be the ability to take your PC game with you on a tablet and seamlessly switch between the two when your family wants to use the PC. (WiiU style).

Network Hub
    King of Dragon Pass is on Android and absolutely perfect with a touchscreen.
    If you have a sub-4 inch phone it might be a bit small (but playable, I played hours on my Moto G) but on anything larger than that it's perfect.

And the turn-based nature of the game fits quite well with short sessions in the subway

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just throwing out random PC games that I've recently come across on android. But not played there yet:
    Broken Age
    Grim Fandango Remastered
    Broken Sword games.

(I'm gonna assume most adventure games will work pretty well on android.. though personally they aren't really my genre)

Heroes and Might and Magic 3 HD.
    Never played a Homm game, so this one is a bit appealing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Anomaly: WarZone Earth you lose out on running around as a person, but nothing is lost when that is removed. Think it hit PC before mobile.

I could see Heroes work with touch. Hell I played that on the original gameboy (Heroes 1 and 2 got a port, tho they did have to remove some factions and units).

Obscure Node
    I'm enjoying Shadowrun on a 10" tablet. I haven't played it on PC either so can't say how it compares but it works for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Anomaly: WarZone Earth you lose out on running around as a person, but nothing is lost when that is removed. Think it hit PC before mobile.
    I played one of the mobile games first, and couldn't believe how pointless the commander felt when I played 2 on PC. Completely and utterly superfluous. The campaign does nothing remotely interesting with the idea.
    Steam | Tumblr (my writing) | Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Well, you do kite the bigger guns to get the highest ratings and the maps are frequently balanced around your presence. But, yeah, it's only of limited impact.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/