Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Lesser Hivemind Node Wheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    588

    Immigrating to the UK

    So I'm looking at immigrating to the UK around the start of August. I have a British passport, which states that I'm a British citizen which I believe means I don't need to apply for a work visa. What I'm wondering is if there's anyone around that has any advice or tips on moving there.

    I think my current drivers license will be valid for a little while, but I'll need to look at get a UK license. There's also a strong possibility that I may end up living in Ireland; which as I understand is OK for British citizens?

    Also, does anyone know what the cost of an average car is over there? And how would I go about getting a vehicle from Ireland to England/Scotland and vice-versa.

  2. #2
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    So I'm looking at immigrating to the UK around the start of August. I have a British passport, which states that I'm a British citizen which I believe means I don't need to apply for a work visa. What I'm wondering is if there's anyone around that has any advice or tips on moving there.

    I think my current drivers license will be valid for a little while, but I'll need to look at get a UK license. There's also a strong possibility that I may end up living in Ireland; which as I understand is OK for British citizens?

    Also, does anyone know what the cost of an average car is over there? And how would I go about getting a vehicle from Ireland to England/Scotland and vice-versa.
    Strictly, living anywhere in the EU is OK for British citizens (since we're part of the EU and signed up to the mutual agreements).

    Are you talking about a new or second hand car?

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    does anyone know what the cost of an average car is over there?
    If what I've been told about Australia is correct and New Zealand is on the same level, I would expect you'll find the European versions of some of the same cars are significantly more expensive there.
    Rock, Paper, Shotgonne - Come join us. We have LOOT!
    The Onward March of Bundles
    - filling your backlog since 1911
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  4. #4
    Network Hub Ethelred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Bristawl
    Posts
    373
    You can get a decent car for about 1000 but it's likely you'll have to replace it after a year (or spend loads getting it repaired).

    Use autotrader (app & website) to see what is available in your price range. Generally speaking Japanese or German cars are best at lower price points (generally more reliable - but more expensive to repair). You'll need a UK postcode to search from as it's radius based.

    Easy and generally cheap ferries to Ireland (but book in advance) from Holyhead or Fishguard - the Irish Sea can be pretty rough though so pack a sick bag.

    You have 12 months on a NZ full car licence, you need to have a permanent address for 185 days before you can change it. The worst aspect is car insurance that will be high (at least 500 probably more than 1000 per year) on a foreign licence.

    Gov.uk is best to answer most questions about anything to do with government stuff but I've organised staff to move here from various countries so ask away!

  5. #5
    Lesser Hivemind Node Wheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    588
    Thanks for the info people, I'll check out gov.uk. The other question I have is how hard is it to open a bank account in the UK? Do I just need a residential address and some form of ID?

  6. #6
    Network Hub Ethelred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Bristawl
    Posts
    373
    Yeah, usually 2 residential (usually utility or council tax) plus passport.

    Some other things to consider:-

    1. You won't exist on credit agencies files which will make getting credit (including contract pay monthly mobile phones, any finance, pay monthly insurance) difficult- so get a smartphone in NZ if poss then you can get a pay as you go sim in the UK.

    2. You'll need a national insurance # so you are taxed at the correct rate (1st 10k not taxed iirc) so apply for one ASAP (gov.uk). It's likely you'll be emergency taxed at first (which is 1/3 of your wage) so the sooner you get a proper one the better.

    3. Important docs - bring your birth certificate, any quals you have as originals & NZ passport if you have one too.

    4. You don't mention your age or quals or type of work you're looking for but you can register in advance with many job agencies(but you should never have to pay to do so). Most lines of work have specialist job agencies so look for specifics if you apply.

    5. Do you really need a car?

    6. Hsbc exist worldwide so it might be easier& quicker to open an account in NZ then ask them about transferring to the UK.

  7. #7
    Lesser Hivemind Node Wheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethelred View Post
    Yeah, usually 2 residential (usually utility or council tax) plus passport.

    Some other things to consider:-

    1. You won't exist on credit agencies files which will make getting credit (including contract pay monthly mobile phones, any finance, pay monthly insurance) difficult- so get a smartphone in NZ if poss then you can get a pay as you go sim in the UK.

    2. You'll need a national insurance # so you are taxed at the correct rate (1st 10k not taxed iirc) so apply for one ASAP (gov.uk). It's likely you'll be emergency taxed at first (which is 1/3 of your wage) so the sooner you get a proper one the better.

    3. Important docs - bring your birth certificate, any quals you have as originals & NZ passport if you have one too.

    4. You don't mention your age or quals or type of work you're looking for but you can register in advance with many job agencies(but you should never have to pay to do so). Most lines of work have specialist job agencies so look for specifics if you apply.

    5. Do you really need a car?

    6. Hsbc exist worldwide so it might be easier& quicker to open an account in NZ then ask them about transferring to the UK.
    Thanks for the further suggestions. Regarding work; My current employer is actually looking to segue my emigration into European branch of the company (which will give the company almost 24 hour support), so I don't anticipate needing to bring my qualifications.

    I possibly don't need a car, it's just I have a bit of extended family loosely spread around Scotland, so I was thinking it would be easier to visit them if I had my own transport. Having your own vehicle also offers a nice kind of freedom.

    Birth certificate and National Insurance number is a good point, as I understand it I'll need a National Health System number as well?

  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    england
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    Strictly, living anywhere in the EU is OK for British citizens (since we're part of the EU and signed up to the mutual agreements).

    Are you talking about a new or second hand car?
    Yeah but there's an extra level of open border between the UK & Ireland, that predates eu freedom of movement. You don't need a passport to travel between the two for instance.

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    england
    Posts
    1,432
    You can get a decent car, say something 3 or 4 years old with average mileage, for around 3k. Don't pay a German tax, the reliability of German cars thing is a myth, BMW is actually one of the worst for breaking down.
    UK driving test is one of the toughest in the world. You also have to do a theory exam first and then take the practical within 6 months (i think,might be a year)
    If you plan to live in London you don't need a car at all, anywhere else even big cities like Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester etc.. you will probably need one unless you work bang in the city centre.
    Getting a NI number is very important, you can't get health care, take a job, access schools etc.. without one.
    Health number Is same as NI number I think. It's also important you register with a local gp and nhs dentist if you can find one.
    Opening a back account is a piece of piss, money laundering capital of the world yay!
    be prepared for extortionate rents, especially in London and the se, but also in pockets elsewhere.

  10. #10
    Network Hub TomxJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    309
    Where you looking to move too?

    Be warned, London is Crazy Expensive in the rent department right now.
    - Do you have any debts?

    - I owe some people a few apologies.

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,395
    Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    If you plan to live in London you don't need a car at all, anywhere else even big cities like Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester etc.. you will probably need one unless you work bang in the city centre.
    Everyone has been giving good advice. However you can easily live in Manchester or Glasgow long term without a car.

    Where are you thinking of living? Probably a roughly decent one if you can get an international transfer. If it's in a major city centre then you really don't need a car.

    If you work in London you get paid more so the high rent isn't as bad as people make out. This goes for Manchester as well, but it's normally better to pay higher rent nearer the centre than waste money on a car. Petrol is like .1.20 a litre. Traffic is insane. You probably won't have valid no claims bonuses etc. So insurance will also be crazy. I inherited my gradndad's 6 year old fiesta and the insurance with on street parking in town was 2200 a year. It's much better value just commuting, plus you can get drunk after work more easily.

    If it's just to pop to Scotland to visit people you can rent a car quite cheaply.

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    12,474
    I live in Manchester without a car, but honestly it's a pretty good public transport system but it has grievous blind spots.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  13. #13
    Network Hub Ethelred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Bristawl
    Posts
    373
    You'll need to register with a local GP (find one through searching for NHS in the gov.uk site) and they'll give you an NHS number.

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    england
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Everyone has been giving good advice. However you can easily live in Manchester or Glasgow long term without a car.

    Where are you thinking of living? Probably a roughly decent one if you can get an international transfer. If it's in a major city centre then you really don't need a car.

    If you work in London you get paid more so the high rent isn't as bad as people make out. This goes for Manchester as well, but it's normally better to pay higher rent nearer the centre than waste money on a car. Petrol is like .1.20 a litre. Traffic is insane. You probably won't have valid no claims bonuses etc. So insurance will also be crazy. I inherited my gradndad's 6 year old fiesta and the insurance with on street parking in town was 2200 a year. It's much better value just commuting, plus you can get drunk after work more easily.

    If it's just to pop to Scotland to visit people you can rent a car quite cheaply.
    Im not sure on the mortgage / rent vs pay thing. I've for offered jobs in London for near double my pay, but when I looked into housing, to live in an area like mine, mixed middle / working class, lowish crime, good schools, it was around 4 or 5 times the cost. For the same disposable income I would have had to live in a right shithole.

  15. #15
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,287
    If you are planning to move/work in London, send me a PM and I'll be happy to give you some more specific pointers and suggestions. In general, all the above advice is very good, esp regarding National Insurance number and registering with GP. With a British you won't really have any issues with bureaucracy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •