Thread: Family Vacation

Family Vacation

Hi there. Has has anyone been to the Grand Canyon. I have never travelled to another continent before and im from Europe. My parents are taking me there in a couple of months. Is it worth it? What am i gonna see and etc. ? :)

You are going to see a big hole in the ground. It's impressive. Looking at the pictures is not like being there.

I went as a kid and got altitude sickness (think I vomited all day at Canyon de Chelly). My mother almost fell in the Grand Canyon because the railing at the viewing area was too close to the edge and she slipped on loose gravel. That was a "holy shit, WTF were they thinking?" kind of moment.

I didn't like being dragged all over for sightseeing when I was young, but in retrospect I appreciate it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's a huge canyon. When I went they hadn't built the skywalk yet, but I imagine that would be exciting.
    But that's about it. There isn't anything else there to see or do. Unless you are there for long enough to hike down into the canyon and spend a night camping at the bottom.

I's almost too big to comprehend. So it acutally looks smaller because your brain doesn't really appreciate that those cliffs on the other side are 20km away, so they look like they are 1km away.
    If you are a teenager being dragged there with your parents then I'd imagine you'll be all "meh! It's just a big hole! Why did you drag me here! There's nothing to do! *goes back to smartphone*". ;-) But you'll appreciate it later.

If you are in the area and have time, there are dozens of stunning national parks there. GC is the biggest, but I actually enjoyed many of the others more.
    I recommend: Sunrise/sunset in Bryce Canyon. Arches National Park. Canyonlands National Park (like grand canyon but a bit smaller and with less people), Zion (good for hiking and walking through the river) and Yosemite (climb to the top of the waterfall or half dome).

I rented a car in LA (meh), drove to Vegas (meh) and then spent a week going around those national parks. They were awesome and I still have great memories of them. There are lots more that I wish i'd had time to visit.
    Yosemite was a 3 day trip from San Francisco (yay!) I think.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    The grand canyon is basically *THE* example of uniformity and stratigraphy - note how the rocks seem to be build up from thin, different coloured layers? That's because they are. A hundred million or more years of work, and you can look at it in one glance.

I hope it will be fun From what it looks from their website http://www.grandcanyon-nationalpark.org/ it is an amazing place. I hope to get on one of the helicopter tours and on this thing called Skywalk. Has anyone done this?
    Last edited by B.Ivanov; 08-11-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Activated Node
    I personally recommend Yellowstone and Zion National Park. :)

Lots of awesome wildlife :)

Quote Originally Posted by B.Ivanov View Post
    I hope it will be fun From what it looks from their website http://www.grandcanyon-nationalpark.org/ it is an amazing place. I hope to get on one of the helicopter tours and on this thing called Skywalk. Has anyone done this?
    I visited the Grand Canyon about a year and a half ago. It's really very impressive, especially if you have the time to do some hiking in or around the Canyon. I haven't visited the Skywalk myself, but I've been told that it's very expensive to go onto it, you are not allowed to take pictures with your own camera (they want to sell you their own overpriced pictures), and you can't spend too much time on it because of the amount of people waiting behind you. That's only hearsay for me though. If you have the time, try to find a nice hiking route and do that instead. BillButNotBen is right, the Canyon is so huge that it's almost impossible to grasp how large it is. Walking into the Canyon for a bit is a good way to appreciate the ridiculous scale of it all.

Edit: Like BillButNotBen said, if you have the time, there are other, very impressive national parks and sights to see relatively nearby. Bryce Canyon must've been the most beautiful and extraordinary natural wonder I've seen in the States.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Only time I've been to America was a few years back when my company flew out to Las Vegas for a convention. We arrived a few days early to see the sights, including the Grand Canyon. We drove all day to get there and arrived 10 minutes after sundown and didn't see shit. 10/10 would visit again

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    You are going to see a big hole in the ground.
    Basically this.

Unless you do a tour and ride some donkeys into it or raft down the river you won't get the best experience available. I enjoyed it when I was there, but there's only so long one can stand at the rim and enjoy it. I'm glad I went but don't think I'll go back until I have children to take.

Yosemite was a 3 day trip from San Francisco (yay!) I think.
    Everywhere in California is close enough for a day trip from San Francisco (by car, 'cause we're American). For someplace like Yosemite though one should spend at least a full day there.
    Last edited by Fumarole; 10-11-2014 at 07:49 PM.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, I meant my trip was 3 days (there, staying and back), not that it took 3 days to get there. Bad wording on my part.

I absolutely LOVED all those national parks. They all had something special. Grand Canyon was great too, but it's actually the one that made the least impression on me.. but I didn't really have time to go down inside it. So it's basically just looking, and as you said there's only so long you can do that.
    the other parks I managed to go down into and walk around, camp, etc.. and so they made a much nicer impression.

Actually, my favorite experience might have been canyonlands. Because it's less busy than the others and I actually just sat under a rock arch looking out at the canyons, in almost total silence, for about an hour. That was amazing.
    Basically, I sat here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canyonl...anyonlands.jpg

Obscure Node
    Hi there. Has has anyone been to the Grand Canyon. I have never travelled to another continent before and im from Europe. My parents are taking me there in a couple of months. Is it worth it? What am i gonna see and etc. ? :)
    If you go to the grand canyon make sure to do some rafting! If you have been rafting before they have some pretty extreme high level stuff. Fun times!

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Actually, my favorite experience might have been canyonlands. Because it's less busy than the others and I actually just sat under a rock arch looking out at the canyons, in almost total silence, for about an hour. That was amazing.
    Basically, I sat here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canyonl...anyonlands.jpg
    That must've been amazing. Makes me want to go there right now.

I had a similar experience when I visited the Wadi Rum desert in Jordan, I just sat on a rock, alone, watching the sun sink in the sand. Wonderful.

We will see how it goes. I think it would be nice. Hope to make some nice photos.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Take photos. Post here!

We will see how it goes. I think it would be nice. Hope to make some nice photos.
    Enjoy, I envy you for being taken there by your family!

Try this link http://www.grandcanyon-nationalpark.org/, and you will discover a lot more about that canyon