Page 22 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Yeah, as it turned out Attic Records (who do mostly second-hand stuff) did get in some of the exclusives, but the only one I'd really wanted was the Animal Collective 12". By the time I got my lazy arse into the store it was gone. Like you say, most of it goes pretty fast. Especially in such a tiny shop where they didn't have many anyway. Some places put any stock they have left online so I'll cross my fingers someone has one left at the end of the day. Would have loved that Mastodon/Feist collab, good call on that one.

To be truthful, after having a proper check through a lot of what is being released, a huge amount of it is pretty boring. You have some stuff being sold purely on the fact it's a limited run. Well, every day of the week small labels and private presses put out limited vinyl runs out of necessity. I suppose a lot of it is there to encourage the people who don't normally go to independent stores to start going, which is what a lot of these places need.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    So, guess I'm going to be pretty tempted by vinyl releases from now on!
    Oh God, it's a slippery slope. I got my player because I was sick of seeing vinyl releases I wanted and just thought why the hell not buy a record player. I still get the CD version of something if there is one, it's always cheaper. The price of some special vinyl releases will make your eyes water. A lot of it goes past the music into the collecting/fetish thing where people just have to own it. I've succumbed to that myself on occasion.

When I told my dad I'd started buying vinyl he looked at me like I was a fucking loon. He grew up with vinyl, but still can't get over how great it is having all his music on an iPod and laptop he can take wherever he wants. We're going in opposite directions. (I also raided his vinyl collection)

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Pardon if anyone else has mentioned, but the Shins have a new album out as of the end of last month. Haven't listened to it yet, and I hold some trepidation because of all of the line-up changes since the last album. Wasn't a gigantic fan of Mercer's Broken Bells either but had some enjoyment there. My wife sure liked it, anyway. But the last Shins album is very special to our family because we listened to it on the plane back from my grandfather's funeral. So looking forward to giving the new one a go, though I doubt it will ever carry such a personal, emotional attachment.

As for the first video, I'd love to see a movie with this kind of a magical theme. Not Harry Potter magical but weird, occultish magical.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post

When I told my dad I'd started buying vinyl he looked at me like I was a fucking loon. He grew up with vinyl, but still can't get over how great it is having all his music on an iPod and laptop he can take wherever he wants. We're going in opposite directions. (I also raided his vinyl collection)
    I think my old man will have the same reaction, he spent a few days recording over his favourite records onto the computer and stuck everything in the loft a few years back.

@ icupnimpn2

i'm liking the new Shins album so far, haven't properly digested it yet but Bait and Switch is standing out as an excellent song so far:

@ icupnimpn2/Lambchops. Ah-ha, did'nt know the shins had new material out. The Rifle's Spiral is rather good, isn't it?

Currently I am trying to figure out what moombahton is, and if I like it or not. So far I've come up with one song which i quite like, the rest is a bit hit and miss. So if anybody has any recommendations, that would be nice. Here is that one song, I apologize for their choice in video cover. I really don't see what exactly semi clad women have to do with it, but there it is.

Also Miike Snow's Happy to you and the 2 bears' be strong are my favourite albums of the year so far.

Reliving the gig from lastnight. Absolutely intense performances from both acts. And Hexvessel's vocalist sounded even better live than on album. And the "pump-up" on "I am the Ritual"... magical.

Warmup:

Headliner:

Activated Node
    Some russian stuff:

Network Hub
    I am currently listening to the Rise Against discography over and over and over again

Finding it hard to break away, it works so well as music for the gym/biking/running and then it sticks in my head and I can't leave it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar

There's something soothing about this song when going through some hard times in relationship. Also, the new album is bloody awesome noiserock. Listen to it.

Matt Uelmen still got it after all these years...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yes its a pop song but I just can't get it out of my head, so I will infect you as well!

As for other stuff this year...its really been a bit of a barren year for albums I like. I just want some decent albums please. Maybe the new beach House Album will placate me later in the year.

Speaking of poppy chart music (Call Me Maybe is rather catchy and has replaced One Direction's What Makes You Beautiful as the pop song most likely to lodge in my skull) I have mostly been listening to bloody Gotye thanks to having the radio on in the lab for at least a portion of every day. This has meant I've heard "Somebody That I Used to Know" with its stupid fucking intro at least 3 times a day for the past two months. I didn't mind it at first (intro aside it's a decent enough song) but it's long past overplayed and reached the realms of Gnarls Barkley's Crazy (I like hearing it again now that it's not on at all the time) and James Blunt's Your Beautiful (I wish I could erase that song from existence, especially the beginning) in terms of enraging ubiquitousness. Nicki Minaj's Starships is heading the same way.
    Last edited by Lambchops; 25-04-2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Shambolic Apotrophes

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar

as well as

40801.jpg
    steam

Network Hub
    Oh God the Diablo 2 soundtrack always gives me a ridiculous hit of nostalgia when I hear it. Almost like an adrenaline rush.

Oh and this is my favourite unexpected enjoyment from the Radio 1/Heart playlist song at the moment:

---

Oh Kaira, was meaning to ask you, is the rest of the Solstafir stuff similar to in that song you posted? Or do they have vocals that are likely to turn me off? I'm currently in the process of investigating a few metal bands (I'm already going for the obvious Metallica, Slayer. Iron Maiden, Mastodon route; my frineds recommended the likes of Sikth, Ensiferum, Nevermore, TesseracT, Opeth and a few others I can't recall right now) and am liking at least some of what I hear! Any more recommendations are welcome (guess I should dive into the metal thread!).
    Last edited by Lambchops; 25-04-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Oh Kaira, was meaning to ask you, is the rest of the Solstafir stuff similar to in that song you posted? Or do they have vocals that are likely to turn me off? I'm currently in the process of investigating a few metal bands (I'm already going for the obvious Metallica, Slayer. Iron Maiden, Mastodon route; my frineds recommended the likes of Sikth, Ensiferum, Nevermore, TesseracT, Opeth and a few others I can't recall right now) and am liking at least some of what I hear! Any more recommendations are welcome (guess I should dive into the metal thread!).
    Solstafir is a bloody awesome post-metal-ish act. Give a listen to these two songs from their latest album: Fjara and Ljós í Stormi. These should give you a pretty good picture on what the vocals sound like. For some other bands in the same style of music: Isis (one of my favorite bands of all time) and Mouth of the Architect and all-instrumental Pelican and the legendary Neurosis.

Anyway, relationship goes belly-up, time for some music. Thanks to Vexing Vision for introducing me to this.

I've recently stumbled upon some rare tracks from Killing Joke in their Kid Jensen sessions. I gotta say, while the sound quality's a bit ass in the vid, they're quite catchy

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    Oh God the Diablo 2 soundtrack always gives me a ridiculous hit of nostalgia when I hear it. Almost like an adrenaline rush.

Oh man, does it ever. I think everyone that ever played Diablo knows that track by heart.

Although the track misses the occasional Rakkadishou! those gremling creatures always shout.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 27-04-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog