Page 27 of 76 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    The new Girl Unit EP is big.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Man, those last three songs are all competely different and all rather excellent.

Anyway the sunny weather isn't the only thing putting a smile on my face, no siree! The Futureheads' acapella album Rant while initially sounding like a bit of a novelty is actually rather delightful. If the bit 48 seconds into the following video doesn't put a smile on your face then you might just be a little bit dead inside (or have some freaky allergic reaction to covers of Sparks' songs!).

Network Hub
    Weird seeing new stuff from Futureheads and Regina. I mean, of course they're still going, but when you don't keep tabs on bands you like, they just sort of fall off the radar.

Seems like the lack of interest in indie bands in the mainstream has been good for the Futureheads. Been left to try new things rather than seeking out radio playlists. Would be interesting to see how they perform that album live.

(Also props for not just shoving some synths into their sound and hoping for the best.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    (Also props for not just shoving some synths into their sound and hoping for the best.)
    Funnily enough someone stuck Maximo Park's debut album on today leaving me wonder what had happened to them. As it turns out they've got a new album due and from the sounds of the first single they have shoved some synths in and hoped for the best! The video is pretty good though.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    A new regina spektor album?

I had no idea. She can be a bit too twee at times, but I still love her.

(rushes to torrent)

@salix:

I love "Hoist that Rag." That guitar riff in it gets me going for some reason. I'm an obsessive Tom Waits fan, though. If anyone wants cast bootlegs to any of his musicals pm me and I'll hook you up.

Anyhow, I just discovered "Peter Grimes" an Opera by English composer Benjamin Britten. It's awesome. I'd even recommend it to people who don't usually like Opera as it kind of skirts the line between Opera and Musical theater at times.

Here's the Acts 1-3 interludes back to back:

Last edited by Juan Carlo; 25-05-2012 at 04:13 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

Oh Maximo Park, every couple years I rehear Apply Some Pressure and Going Missing and everytime I eagerly dig their debut album out and everytime I'm disapointed.

I've had this on repeat almost non-stop for two days.
    I can't stand Will.i.am
    I can't stand samba.
    I can't stand most rap.

But god damn does this song sound good sitting in the blazing sun.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 27-05-2012 at 01:51 AM.

Music relevant so thought I'd throw this in here: The Harvard Fellow Documentary on Kickstarter, only 35 days left so not sure what the chances are of it being funded but definitely worth a look if you're a Little Brother/hip hop fan/music fan/documentary fan.

I was trying to find some music to relax while I went into my studies, last week and I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered Lemongrass. It's hard to find any chillout music that's not boring enough to discourage me from staying up late for studies or so good, I'm more focused on the music rather than my notes. And this is just perfect.
    Art blog here.

Stuffed with pokemon doodles. And arse. Enter at your own risk.

Going to see an ensemble of indie stars/losers perform Big Star's album Third tonight.

Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Network Hub
    Think I've mentioned Laurel Halo a few times now. Spent some time tonight with her new release on Hyperdub. Before I was just a huge fan, now I think I'm just a fully paid-up gushing fanboy. Really hope she gets more recognition for this LP (if she even wants it) because as much as I like people like Grimes and Julia Holter, they can't really touch what Laurel is doing.

The way she seems to effortlessly combine creating a pop song that holds your attention, whilst experimenting with sounds all in the same track. Can't get enough of it.

This one jumped out on the first listen:

Been playing with Traktor most of my evening, love this track quite a bit.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Someone accidentally linked me to their favourited videos on Youtube today, and the discussion that followed was something along the lines of:
    Me: "You've got the Mirror's Edge soundtrack on here? Wow! Hey, here, try this other Solar Fields stuff."
    Them: "That's cool! I didn't know you knew of Mirror's Edge? Try this Cafe del Mar track."
    Me: "I didn't know you knew them! How'd you like this Zircon song?"
    Them: "Zircon?! I've never met anyone else who liked Zircon! ..."

Meeting someone with a similar musical taste who is just as willing as you to share links to songs as you are is always a good experience.

@Diamond Dog: There are some lovely soundscapes going on there, have to say I'm more a fan of the 'traditional' Hyperdub stuff but it is nevertheless very nice. She has a very unique style, kinda 23rd century Kate Bush or something.
    Gah you've made me notice how much crazy music has come out on Hyperdub recently damn you!

@Danny252: I remember meeting some excellent people on Soulseek for swapping tracks and discovering artists. Found a fair few I went on to buy vinyl of many moons ago.

This Laurel Halo shit is good.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by shaydeeadi View Post
    Gah you've made me notice how much crazy music has come out on Hyperdub recently damn you!
    Yeah, they seem to have stepped it up this year. Still got Cooly G's first full length to come, really looking forward to that.

I would like to know when Joker is putting out the album he is working on, not sure if he will stick with Hyperdub for it though, Skratcha DVA's album is wonderful.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Really impressed by how much emotion these two put into their playing:

You were absolutely right about Laurel Halo diamonddog, she's blowing up all over the place. Quarantine landed a review in The Guardian. I'm obsessed.
    Last edited by sabrage; 01-06-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Network Hub
    I've been listening to SoulEye's VVVVVV soundtrack like mad, plus some UK garage (you guys probably just call it "garage" don'tcha) and a smidge of psytrance.

DJ Druid from Ireland is playing here in Toronto tonight but it's rainy and pooey outside so I may or may not go check him out. I saw him play at a 3-day outdoor rave a decade ago and loved his unique style so it would be a shame if I decided to be too prissy to step out into the rain.