Page 50 of 82 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1625
    Network Hub
    So, listening to the new Bowie album. I'm in heaven. It's fantastic, not merely 'good for an artist in decline' type of good, it's actually up there with his best. I still can't quite believe it exists and I get to listen over and over and over and over. Also, set within the context of the rest of the album Where Are We Now? is amazing.

It's fine to act like a gushing fool when it's Bowie, right?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    I listened to the new Bowie. I quite like it and will definitely give it another listen (unlike the other comeback album of the month m b v which just had me shrugging my shoulders, wondering what the fuss was about and moving on!).

I have to admit Bowie is one of the major artists that I've not yet got around too (hence why I'm not offering much more of an opinion - I have very little context for the new stuff). I tend to like his music when I hear it but I've never quite got around to actually buying any of his stuff yet. I get the feeling he's not a "best of" type artist and more one where I should start with some albums.

Any starting points?

----

I've been listening to Anais Mitchell who I'm increasingly becoming convinced is among the best things in folk music right now. Also noticing the comments on there it seems that she was performing on the same bill as Karine Polwart (one of the other best things in folk music). Would love to see them collaborating but that's just wishful thinking on my part!

Last edited by Lambchops; 02-03-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    It's fine to act like a gushing fool when it's Bowie, right?
    Totally justified. Just a huge pleasure and an unexpected gift to have him back on such form. To quote the sign off The Quietus' review:
    David Bowie, then. History, but still happening. And the next day, and the next.
    Greatness. It can’t go on. It goes on.
    It's sent me back to pick through Heathen, Outside and Reality with re-opened ears, I largely ignored them when they came out.

Meanwhile, the Johnny Marr solo album. Glorious guitar playing, patchy songs, you wonder how great the whole might have been might have been if he'd got the right producer instead doing it all himself.

But my god where it's good, it's a joy. I can't stop playing this one

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Any starting points?
    The stupid answer? Everything. The cheesy answer? Your favourite Bowie is such a personal thing I could say a couple of albums that someone else would disagree with completely. Anyway, top of my list is Station to Station. Pretty much perfect from start to finish. Hunky Dory has a lot of his classics on it. Out of the Berlin trilogy I'd go for Low.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I've been listening to Anais Mitchell who I'm increasingly becoming convinced is among the best things in folk music right now. Also noticing the comments on there it seems that she was performing on the same bill as Karine Polwart (one of the other best things in folk music). Would love to see them collaborating but that's just wishful thinking on my part!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9m7dKhICck
    That brought back some childhood memories, haven't heard that melody for yonks. My mum used to play Alan Stivell's Reflets a lot when I was little. :)

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Any starting points?
    I say start (near) the beginning, that's what I did when I first got into Bowie 10 years ago and I haven't regretted it.

His first two albums have some good stuff, but I wouldn't start there. I'd go for "Hunky Dory" and "Ziggy Star Dust," then just listen to all of his albums sequentially up through "Scary Monsters" (which is his last great album before a fallow period in the 1980s).

Then skip over everything and stop at "Outside" and "Earthling"--after those two I don't think any of his stuff in the 2000s is "must hear," although none of them are terrible.

Anyhow, it's impossible to pick favorite Bowie albums. His stuff from the 1970s is almost all awesome and he changes genres enitrely from album to album, so if you don't like one album just skip it for now and move onto the next one. Chances are you'll find something you love.

Definitely don't skip "Low," though. That's my personal favorite of his.

Usually, I think Metallica is pretty meh most of the time but honestly, I came around and found one of their old shit and I admit, I headbanged while listening to this. Shame for the last part being dragged on for a minute.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Having got some new (slightly better quality) headphones I've been listening to some old favourites and sometimes it's like hearing a song again for the first time. Plus I'd genuinely forgotten just how good Joanna Newsom's Have One On Me is. Think this song is probably the most gorgeous. Great lyrics too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Nick Cave and the bad seeds - Jubilee Street

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Also this from the Game of thrones trailer.

MS MR - Bones

Edit: Heh, didn't watch them first, I suppose both could be slightly NSFW

Network Hub
    Plus I'd genuinely forgotten just how good Joanna Newsom's Have One On Me is. Think this song is probably the most gorgeous. Great lyrics too.
    Thank you for giving me the jolt to finally buy that album, Lambchops. Love Joanna Newsom, but Have One On Me got stuck in limbo on my 'to buy' list since it came out. Now I feel extra silly because it's as good as everyone said. No idea it was a damn triple album, either.

Network Hub
    This is, quite frankly, immense. Wen is going to have a massive year.

https://soundcloud.com/w3n/strings-hoe-refix-dusk

Brief snippet of this played on Radio 4 reminded me just how much I like Orbital.

Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    New Ghost and Writer single.

I am tired of Frank Spinath being in every single German synthpop band but this one I like.

Officially free here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    This is lovely

And this is what the bizzare apocalypse will be like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz64trDyssc

If you've heard the hype for the Daughter debut album "If You Leave" you should totally believe it. It's excellent (though hearing so much heartbreak and bitterness over the course of an album does always have me reaching for something a bit cheerier straight after!).

Ooh just discovered that there's a James Kelly solo record coming out. It's basically the Coral trying out a new style in all but name.

The first songs really rather good, looking forward to the album.

Obscure Node
    Matchbox Twenty, some Queen and some Monty Python to mix it up.

Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.