Page 61 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1721
    I'm listening to My Neighbors Fight. Loudly.

I saw Tommy Emmanuel mentioned; Lewis & Clark is a gorgeous track of his from The Mystery. Dude has a touch like Chet Atkins (with whom he collaborated on a fun little album). On a related note, I also like Buckethead's album Electric Tears and its sequel Electric Sea for a similar melancholy or elegiac vibe.

Carrying on with instrumentals, I enjoy Ryuichiro Senoh's harmonica pieces from Cowboy Bebop, especially Digging My Potato. Blues harp music pokes at m'heart pretty effectively, but that track really gets to me for sentimental reasons... and makes me feel old! If you like it, you might check out the legendary Adam Gussow's deconstructive educational videos on Digging My Potato (introduction ends at 2:20 ish; cant figure out timestamping for embeds):

His other videos and his writing are all good for anyone interested in the instrument or the wider genre. And for giggles, this wikipedia article is amazing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Cowboy_Bebop

I've been immersing myself in the Hotline Miami album recently, too. Bathing in it, you might say. Tracks 2-4 by M.O.O.N. are just... really nice. Especially the last one, Crystals. The bass is just right, and there's just enough of a groove for it to melt into background or be actively listenable. For some reason it calls to mind Osborne's Wait a Minute, which is a far funkier thing. Hm.

And finally, I've been listening to a good bit of the Butthole Surfers of late as well. Their crazy on-stage antics were before my time, but included dolphin vivisection videos and shotguns and drum kits coated in claiming liquids which would end up catching bits of the stage on fire. Drugs. As Marc Maron said, the best one can do is, "Just hang on, man!"
    Last edited by Jambe; 11-07-2013 at 06:39 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Run the Jewels.

Collaboration between El-P and Killer Mike. It's good stuff. Full of the usual rap bragging but so over the top it moves into so ridiculous it's funny territory. Plus the beats are great. Seem to keep coming back to it, a rare thing for this area of rap for me (usually prefer more laid back stuff or things that are heavy on funk.soul samples), so it must be good!

It's free so you might as well download and give it a whirl - http://foolsgoldrecs.com/runthejewels/

It's that time of the year again and just listening away to this
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Obscure Node
    Amon Amarth : Asator !!!!

I'd normally err on the side of never messing with The Beatles but this does it for me.

Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Hell yeah, Grouper! I love Liz Harris. Presently:

steam

A friend introduced me to Tim Hecker recently (although he might also have featured on the Sunday Papers a while back) and I've been enjoying it a lot. She also recommended Christian Fennesz who does something similar but with a guitar:

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Oh yeah, Fennesz is super excellent for that texturey/soundscapey thing. Venice and Endless Summer are beautiful albums. You might also get a kick out of Oval, Stars of the Lid (less abrasive, more orchestral) and The Fun Years -- baritone guitar and record player through various devices. Very talented guys and Sosolimited didi some amazing live video work for them:

I think the first RPS article I read covered Sins of a Solar Empire. One of the writers mentioned turning on Mogwai before embarking on an epic space battle, and I thought, "I'm going to like it here."
    steam

Network Hub
    Dream Team.

Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    I think the first RPS article I read covered Sins of a Solar Empire. One of the writers mentioned turning on Mogwai before embarking on an epic space battle, and I thought, "I'm going to like it here."
    I got a similar feeling when Jim took over the Sunday Papers. I find Jim to be a highly contemplative, almost melancholy personality, and he generally links to highly-textural ambient kinds of music.

Apparently we can't embed SoundCloud here (!!!) so this must suffice as an example:

https://soundcloud.com/anduin/dyadic-twenty-seven

I really like that track.
    Is not a leg.
    Frobnitz Ichor Liquor purveyors don't need compasses to tell which way the moon sounds.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    The Sunday Papers have had a traceable impact on my music listening habits.

Yeah!

Experimental Audio Research - D.M.T. Symphony (Overture To An Inhabited Zone)

From 1994 so it's more on the analogue side of things.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar

Network Hub
    It's Sunday and it's nice out so...

Network Hub

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Finally got to listen to the whole of Daft Punks latest(yeah I know im quite late!) its bloody excellent probably will be number one on the list this year!

Those intermittent beepy peaks are delightful. Anticipation builds and builds and then YES! Release.

First came across that track (and the hook in question) in Kirby Ferguson's Everything is a Remix, which is a well-produced 4-part webseries about creativity and copyright/patent law.
    Is not a leg.
    Frobnitz Ichor Liquor purveyors don't need compasses to tell which way the moon sounds.