Page 70 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1629
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I used to love Zorn's Masada project. Dave Douglas' trumpet work was stellar.
    Curiously enough, I was browsing some database to find some Japanese jazz album from around '90 when I stumbled upon this. I stumbled upon quite a bit of interesting bands, really. That's the best way to discover more music. Still haven't found the album I was looking for, though.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Network Hub
    Went to see Gravity tonight, and alongside the quite astonishing spectacle, the soundtrack was great.

This bit of music in particular was paired with a scene that might have been the most tense experience I've had in a cinema for a while.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    So turns out The Pretty Reckless album isn't coming out till early next year, which is a bit of a bummer. They have put out three (?) songs that are going to come out on it...I think. They've got a good few songs out there but it's hard to know what they actually plan on officially releasing and in what context. Kill Me, which was released late last year is pretty great. Sounds a little like an opener I suppose. Listening back to it now, the lyrics are still sort of hilarious in a "Oh come on, we get it!" but it still sounds good. In finding that one, I just discovered this exists which will also be on that album. If it's the 'quiet track on loud rock album', I'm okay with it. Certainly shows off her voice. Then there's the relatively recently put out Going To Hell It's pretty good and I like the fact it's a sequel to one of the songs off the first album. Got a great bass riff during the chorus, but overall I don't think it's amazing.

While I eagerly await that album, its delay has allowed me to listen to the new (...well, it was when it came out) Lissie album, Back to Forever. And you know what, it's pretty great. I'd heard a couple of songs off it which felt a bit pop-y, something that the first album had but seemed to not be the focus. Even if it is a little more pop-y here, I do like her lyrical work and a lot of it is just a little bit more intelligent, or at least subtle.

I think the best example of that was the first single off the album, Further Away (Romance Police). It's quite hard to pick up on on first listen, but the chorus is pretty well done. It also contains a break filled with a Lissie Guitar Solo, so it makes up for any potential short-comings. Well, I think that was the first, despite Shameless coming out first. I dunno. I like the idea of Shameless, but I think it suffers from a case of a song using swearing that doesn't quite gel for whatever reason. Rest of it is pretty neat. I do think the highlight of the album is Sleepwalking, below. Feels about 30 years old, but it's a short, jaunty piece.

Other highlights include the ballad Mountaintop Removal, then tracks I Bet On You and Cold Fish. Overall, I'm very happy with the album. It's a lot more consistent than her debut, but I don't think its highs meet the lofty ceilings of In Sleep or When I'm Alone. Also I wanted her cover of Stairway to Heaven on there just because, but hey ho. Anyhow thumb's up!

In the mean time, I've noticed I've had zero inclination to play any of the tracks from the latest Goldfrapp album, as if I've forgotten it came out, been very happy when a shuffled iPod plays any track from the latest QOTSA album because it's fantastic and for no real reason one day started up The Smashing Pumpkins on Spotify, only to stop half-way through a greatest hits after 1979 because I realised it was late and needed to go to bed, not because I didn't enjoy it (because I did).
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

good write up JG.

was doing some youtube browsing when I stumbled up I See Fire by Ed Sheeran, which looks like it's going to be the theme song to The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. Now I know what you're all thinking "But Wheelz! isn't Ed Sheeren one of those terrible pop artists?" and well the answer is "sort of". His music is definitely radio friendly, but it's not offensively catchy, and well SPOILERS: the song is really great, it's got me genuinely excitied about The Hobbit.
    Last edited by Wheelz; 11-11-2013 at 08:49 AM.

"Oh, evolution. It wasn't meant for everyone."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    As someone who didn't pay too much attention to Lily Allen's first album, but rather enjoyed her second, I'm quite keen to see what else she does. There's a good slant with her pop and it's usually having a bit of a go. She's released a new song. It's having a lot of a go.

(NSFW, both in imagery and language)

And I think it's pretty good/funny.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Network Hub
    I feel the need to put a spotlight on the Keysound label at the moment. They've been one of best labels in the UK for years now, but 2013 has been particularly amazing. Always forward thinking, always looking for new producers and giving them the platform to grow. The Fader have a great feature on the guys that run it and a handful of artists releasing on the label.

All of this keeps rolling with the upcoming album Cold Mission by Logos, which inspired all this gushing. Pitchfork have a stream up of it, and I'm just going to plain beg you to give it a proper listen. It's an engrossing listen.

And this is a track by Mumdance & Mao from a mixtape Mumdance released in the summer (which is fantastic itself) and got put out on the Genesis EP. It's easily my favourite track of the year, I will never tire of it.

Keysound are on fire at the moment, but just so I sound like less of an PR man, this is about more than them. I think the UK underground in general has gone up a level this year, mostly fed by the resurgence of grime and the influence of jungle coming through stronger. A lot of producers and labels seem to have hit their stride and are putting out their best work, and everyone is feeding of each others energy. After dubstep exploded and left everyone trying to find their feet, things feel exciting again. Basically, if you're interested in new stuff there's a lot going on in the UK at the moment, and I implore you to seek it out.

Having just listened to it with utter incredulity, I'm pretty much going to have to agree with Jaded Punk on this one:

Bad Religion's "Christmas Songs," Reviewed

Why? Why why why why why? Why. Why why why, why? Why why. Why.
    Why why why why why Why Why why. Why, why why why why. Why why why why why. Why why why. Why why why why: why why why, why why, why why why why. Why? Why why why, why?
    Why, why why why why; why why why, why, why why why. Why why why why. Why. Why. Why. WHY?
    WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY? WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY?
    Why? Why? Why? Why? Whhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy y? WHY?
    Why why why.
    WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY. WHY. WHY. WHY. WHY. WHY. WHY?

Christmas Songs is out now from Epitaph Records.
    Last edited by Rath; 25-11-2013 at 11:48 PM.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Currently in love with Jolly's Audio Guide to Happiness Part 2.

I mean, woah.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    It has been a while but I've mostly spent it obsessively indulging in future of the left's albums and rather enjoying seeing them live but apart from that I've got a few new albums, and the emergence of year end lists has me discovering a few new things too.

Nils Frahm - Spaces is a wonderful album, have a look at this it really is a wonderful thing. I definitely need to listen to more of his stuff.

I've also been listening to Cate le Bon - Mug Museum - It's her most consistent album yet and this track featuring Perfume Genius is superb - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyHQFs2bzL0

Throwing Muses are a band whose existence I was completely unaware of until this week and who I anticipate I'm going to have a great time exploring the back catalogue of. Their new album is a pretty fragmented beast but this track had me convinced they were a great band - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FqjE5sWyQI

Listening to a bit of hip-hop with Black Milk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBNpwFPVo1Y

On a different tack if you like your evocative folk music with a real sense of place then Alasdair Roberts and Robin Robertson's album about St Kilda is worth exploring, can't find anything from it on youtube.

Also been enjoying the new Okkervil River album, while the 80s sheen works in the context of the album I don't think it quite matches up with the emotional heft of their best stuff but it's very enjoyable nonetheless - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7UeGBULQ7Y

Oh go on then I'll post a bit of future of the left at the end as well then! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_XbYz9J4W0
    Last edited by Lambchops; 29-11-2013 at 03:42 PM.

"Oh, evolution. It wasn't meant for everyone."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar

Heard this album aaages ago and didn't think much of it. Not sure why, because I tried listening to it again recently and I love it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Activated Node
    JayZ - REASONABLE DOUBT [FULL ALBUM]

Network Hub
    Can't quite believe FKA twigs has turned up on the BBC Sound of 2014 list but I'm fine with it!

Papi Pacify is one of my favourite songs this year and the video is equally amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    Can't quite believe FKA twigs has turned up on the BBC Sound of 2014 list but I'm fine with it!
    Papi Pacify is one of my favourite songs this year and the video is equally amazing.
    The BBC Sound Of poll seems to be of unusual quality this year (at least in terms of the stuff I'd already heard), actually makes me more inclined to investigate the rest of it for once. Though I guess the trick for them is trying to back the right winner rather than in the overall quality of the longlist - as every time they mention Adele winning there's generally a well deserved riposte of "what about the Bravery and Little Boots?" (bit harsh lumping Little Boots in with the Bravery, they were genuine tripe, LB's music is fine just a tad generic).

Network Hub
    The BBC Sound Of poll seems to be of unusual quality this year (at least in terms of the stuff I'd already heard), actually makes me more inclined to investigate the rest of it for once.
    Definitely. Kelela being on there is just as surprising but very welcome. And it's good to see Sampha in the limelight.

Obviously things will run much like the Mercury prize, with a few interesting nominations that don't have a hope in hell of actually winning it. I'd put my money on Sam Smith. He can easily fit onto Radio 1, 2, 6Music and Graham Norton, which is what the BBC always wants out of this poll.

Edit: Should say that's not really meant as a diss on Sam Smith, just the BBC is still chasing after another Adele.
    Last edited by DiamondDog; 02-12-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Yeah I'd concur with that Sam Smith would be where I'd put my money (already been invloved with a number 1 single, exactly what they're looking for). Would like to see Sampha, Chance and Kelela placed highly.

I always hold out feeble hope for the Mercury and I don't want to criticise this years prize too much (especially because I haven't heard the James Blake album) but looking at the list from what I'd heard Jon Hopkins should have won by a country mile, Immunity is an amazing album.

Network Hub
    Oh I've given up trying to figure out the Mercury. I just wish the judges were even half as broad-minded as they pretend to be.