Page 10 of 86 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Just finishing off Boxer when I noticed this thread. One of the best albums by one of the greatest bands in my books.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Can't get enough of Phantogram at the moment.

...and if you like that one, this Gang Gang Dance track is certainly worth eleven-and-a-half minutes of your life.

Network Hub
    When that Gang Gang Dance album came out earlier this year I had a feeling it'd be one of my favourites. I still end up listening to it about once a week. Beginning to end, skip nothing. It's a keeper.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    Just finishing off Boxer when I noticed this thread. One of the best albums by one of the greatest bands in my books.
    Really? I love The National, but Boxer is probably my least favourite (apart from that opening track).

Right now I'm listening to Symphonika. For those not in the know, Symphonika is Dan Pop from the indiepop band Ooberman under his symphonic (duh) guise. It's a compilation of music he's written for film and TV and adverts and stuff. It's basically movie trailer music elevated to an art form, and it's very good.

I'm not sure how easy the first two albums, The Snow Queen and Gothic Angel Warriors are to come by these days (I know, at least, only 200 copies of Gothic Angel Warriors were ever made, though I see a few sites offering it for sale). However, you can still download the third album, Dark Fairytales Suite (which I'd suggest you'll almost certainly like if you liked Fable's soundtrack), for free, from here.

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    Really? I love The National, but Boxer is probably my least favourite (apart from that opening track).
    Yes, it's very firmly one of the reasons why I love the band so immensely; brilliant songs with a really wonderfully subtle presentation, the sort of music you sink into late at night. High Violet is my absolute favourite by them though, while least favourite is always going to be the self-titled debut (which really has very little of the band's magic in it). But that's the fun with this band anyway - it's becoming pretty clear by now that they're one of those artists where it's perfectly normal for everyone to have their different personal favourites instead of any sort of canon highlight rising from the ranks (apart from everything after Cherry Tree EP being seen as the golden age).
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Network Hub
    A few tracks I liked from the Distance show on Rinse FM this week. Always worth a listen because he gives over the first hour of the show to new artists.

Shredexx - Just For You

Optimum Design - New Generation

Porta - Lost

@DigitalSignalX
    Sounds good. Thanks for bringing her up.

I'm in love with Salt Ashes for quite some time now. Gold is particularly brilliant.
    A shame that she's virtually unknown (judging from the Soundcloud play count).

<- see avatar

:p

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

My favorite new artist in ages.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    This was linked in another thread re: game music, thought it should hit this one too since I ripped it and stuck it on my playlist シ It's a combination of a philharmonic and the retail.

All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

I just love this new EP.

Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar

Beefheart and the Ronettes have been buzzing around, but the official release of Dave Davies' unfinished album from '69 really excited me. I'd searched down all the tracks as bootlegs before (cos I'm that kind of kind of guy :P) so having them finally released in good quality's a happy trip for me.

Maybe all you know about the Kinks is Lola and You Really Got Me, but if you wanna go on that sort of musical spelunking that yields vein after vein of precious ore, you could not choose a better band. And these songs, boy. Psych-pop, so bright, so catchy, so creative, but most of all so emotional, and that was unexpected. A real character comes through the lyrics, and it's a surprisingly admirable one too.

Heard this during the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade, same conductor and Japanese Philharmonic, but without the tenor unfortunately.

All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar

Pippi Longstocking is comin' into your world
    A freckled faced red haired girl you ought to know
    She'll throw your life into her world!

I sang that every day for a year as a child and drove everyone batshit insane.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    If you're a fan of the allmighty Fugazi you might enjoy the soon-to-be-launched Fugazi Live Archive

Quote Originally Posted by drake sigar View Post

pippi longstocking is comin' into your world
    a freckled faced red haired girl you ought to know
    she'll throw your life into her world!

I sang that every day for a year as a child and drove everyone batshit insane.
    dear god make it stop

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Drake Sigar: That's possibly the most disgusting thing I've ever heard.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Having missed out on Mclusky years ago i finally got around to buying Mcluskyism. Not sure if all the extra material shows them at their best but the first disc of the album with all the singles is absolutely top notch stuff.

Also been listening to Honestly, This World by The Moth and The Mirror, another of those collective efforts that the Scottish indie scene does so well. It's made up of lesser known faces. The main singer, for example, used to play cello for Arap Strap and she has clearly been hiding a wonderful voice.