Page 11 of 84 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar

New Martin Gore/Vince Clark track. It's rather fine.

http://thequietus.com/articles/07500...n-l-gore-spock

Hmm, can't embed soundcloud things here. Dang.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    I've had Soma.fm's Drone Zone running pretty much constantly the past month (with a couple of days' detour to The National and U.N.K.L.E) and have been finding some bands/artists I hadn't heard about.

GAS is one:

Quote Originally Posted by Donjonson View Post
    Oh yeah, I should have pointed out- this track is called Policenauts... dunno what it has to do with the game but it's frickin awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar

...of course, that's when iTunes decides it doesn't want to crash for no reason whatsoever. Crime though that that vid has only had something like 6.5m hits.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Voodoo jive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I felt like I needed more Shout Out Louds in my life. While endeavoring to make this so I found Our Ill Wills. I've been listening to songs off of that a lot recently.

Network Hub
    Ah, a fellow Screamin' Jay fan. The guy was a loon, but such a great voice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    For some reason I've found myself getting into listening to a bit of classical of late (something to do with the nights drawing in). Very into Erik Satie haunting piano works at present: -

This track one is pretty well known: -

But I think this one is truly stellar: -

Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Network Hub
    Just heard about Hubert Sumlin passing away. You don't get much more influential than this guy. Keith Richards owes him a career.

If you like anything to do with rock music, Hubert and Wolf deserve a bit of your time.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    Ah, a fellow Screamin' Jay fan. The guy was a loon, but such a great voice.
    I've only got Voodoo Jive which is a best of so you can't call me a huge fan but it's all the Screamin' Jay I'll ever need. It's awesome, it's got Constipation Blues on it which is hilarious. That was my first exposure.

Here's some "Modern Classical" to throw into the mix,Jóhann Jóhannson's "IBM 1402: Card Read Punch":

...and some classic Alt. Rock to help recover, courtesy of Slint:

And just for the hell of it, some Múm:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    If you like Screamin Jay, Mystery Train is a must-see.

One of my all-time favorite movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    For some reason I've found myself getting into listening to a bit of classical of late (something to do with the nights drawing in). Very into Erik Satie haunting piano works at present: -

This track one is pretty well known: -

But I think this one is truly stellar: -

Good stuff.. my brother learned to play this one-

Do you like Philip Glass?

One of my heroes.

Mmm. I think I have to second that.

I love his concerto work and his soundtracks in particular. His operas tend to be the sort of minimalism I'm less interested in and a bit too internally repetitive and slow-developing even compared to the rest of his stuff.

His soundtrack to the Illusionist is one of my all-time favorite albums. Of course, that soundtrack draws a lot (perhaps a bit too much) from his soundtrack to Mishima which is a lot more typical of his work and just as good for different reasons. Let me see if I can dig up one of the pieces from Mishima ... there's a particular Quartet I found that has some great recordings of the Mishima pieces re-set for Quartet. You miss some of the cool sounds he throws in for the soundtrack version but it's still great

I also love this Harpsichord Concerto. I'm a sucker for Harpsichord music, though ... but I'm pretty sure this is as close to objectively gorgeous as music can get in any case.

This is also quite beautiful.

While I'm on "classical", one of my favorite such pieces is Barios Magnore's Catedral. It is a piece for acoustic guitar written in the 1920s I believe, but it is in the Baroque style. This is the most played portion, Movement III: Allegro. It's also one of the better quality recordings (and one of the better performances) I found. It's easy to find the rest of it though if you want to hear the full piece. I highly recommend it.

Edit: Aha! I found a decent quality recording of John Williams doing the whole piece in one video (not the Star Wars John Williams).

Here's the other video I posted before, just in case. I like to listen to different interpretations of older pieces. :)
    Last edited by gwathdring; 09-12-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    On classical guitar, this is one of the coolest things I've heard for the instrument:

And another of my favourite guitar pieces, which I'm trying to learn to play properly again (been lazy the last few years), played by the same excellent guitarist:

Wow. That's fantastic. There's a bit of a jazz sensibility to it. The artist has and incredible sense of flair, too ... I love the little barely-there vibratos. The second one's not quite as much my thing, but I'll definitely look more into it. :)

Are you familiar with Andy Mckee? He does a lot of percussive work and has some of my favorite guitar music. It's not really classical, especially since it's all steel string but also because it's compositionally more like rock and pop music. His big think is making use of the instrument's inherently percussive nature. He's a good example of why steel string guitar is my favorite instrument ... and why I like harpsichord I suppose. There's some more below, as I couldn't pick just one to share. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foJ-F...feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz5cZrC-KIg

For anyone who isn't especially familiar with modern guitar repertoire, but interested in the instrument (perhaps interested thanks to Skalpadda's or my posts?), I really really really recommend Leo Kottke. It would be unfair to mention Andy Mckee who came after and not nod to Leo Kottke's work. The man is also quite funny in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1zEXC9kFIo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwWBC...eature=related

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Right now "Alphaville - Sounds Like A Melody",such a awesome song daaaamn.