Page 12 of 80 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Leo Kottke
    I can't, if he's mentioned, not tip the names of two of his peers - personally I think they're 'better', but they're also, how you say, less conventional...

Robbie Basho, booming bear of a voice/big aul' sentimentalist lyrics-wise, a wonderful lunatic. And boy he can really turn the guitar into a torrent of music.

And of course, since we're talking Takoma...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    @gwathdring: Yeah, Andy Mckee has the enviable quality of being able to write stuff that's fun to play, looks entertaining and which most people like to listen to as well. It's a shame his songs all use different tunings or I might feel compelled to make an effort to learn some of them. I started to transcribe his version of Toto's Africa but having to retune the guitar every time I wanted to play something else was just too much of a bother.

@Keep: Is that just a 12-string in that Robbie Basho song? It sounds nuts, I imagine coming across a big burly madman in a clearing in the forest as entranced woodland animals gather round.

And to stop myself from just spamming the thread with guitar videos, here's the sexiest thing I've heard in my life.
    Last edited by Skalpadda; 10-12-2011 at 04:38 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    I can't, if he's mentioned, not tip the names of two of his peers - personally I think they're 'better', but they're also, how you say, less conventional...
    Cool. I was not aware of the first one before. I really like Basho's early music vibe ... sounds like some Chinese inspiration, perhaps? The second one gives me the urge to start blasting some Mississippi John Hurt ... but I do like Fahey a good deal. He has a really neat style--where Kottke took the techniques of guitarists like Hurt and flung them headlong into "folk" music, Fahey kept the atonality and added enough of his own style to make something completely divorce from blues. I wouldn't call it better, personally, but I certainly appreciate it for different reasons. At least, that's based on what I've heard of his.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    This is exactly the kind of catchy pop you'd expect an ex Xenomania in house drummer to come up with (in that you good imagine it being one of the better Girls Aloud songs). Plus the track title made me giggle.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar

I apologise for the video. The song is good, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Whatever the song in this video is
    Sounds absolutely incredible on my AH-D2000s

basshead workout
    Last edited by sabrage; 12-12-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Network Hub
    Not sure if anyone likes/owns the Dntel album Life Is Full of Possibilties that came out in 2001? If you're a fan of The Postal Service you've probably heard of it. Anyway, Sub Pop recently reissued the album and added in some old and new remixes. I got the 12" with two of the new ones on it and I think they're quite lovely, considering how much I liked the original.

I listened to Is This It? a few weeks ago, having not listened to it in ages, and was struck again by just how bloody excellent an album it is. The Strokes second album was OK too but they just seemed to go downhill after that, which was a shame.

I was in a bit of a reliving the music I obsessed over when younger mood then; followed it up with By the Way by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers (brilliant in parts but more filler than I remember), The Coral's self titled debut (they're still releasing great stuff but I miss the unexpected twists and turns of what is personally my favourite album of there's), Free All Angels by Ash (indie pop at its finest), Parachutes by Coldplay (oh, Chris Martin, where did it all go wrong. Then again I guess I'm hard to please, I'd probably have criticised him more if he spent his entire career rewriting Shiver) and The Remote Part by Idlewild (excellent, and vastly underrated by those who would rather they had spent their entire career rehashing 100 Broken Windows).

It was fun times, delving back into my record collection. Now that I'm buying a much larger volume of music it'll be intruiging to see what albums I actually go back to in 10 years time.

Network Hub
    I still think Parachutes is a damn fine pop album, but then they went chasing after the U2 stadium market and it all went wrong. What I can't tell is whether they've hit the limit of their song-writing ability, or are just purposefully watering down everything they do to keep filling the stadiums. The latest effort sounds even more like it's been purpose built for the festival circuit. There seems to be zero attempt at trying anything new. But then again, like U2, they are at the point where they don't have to try anymore, the name does all the work. With a bit of help from Radio 1 and 2, I suppose.

Get on Your Boots... God what a horrific song to have to hear every day at work for weeks on end.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    I still think Parachutes is a damn fine pop album, but then they went chasing after the U2 stadium market and it all went wrong. What I can't tell is whether they've hit the limit of their song-writing ability, or are just purposefully watering down everything they do to keep filling the stadiums. The latest effort sounds even more like it's been purpose built for the festival circuit. There seems to be zero attempt at trying anything new. But then again, like U2, they are at the point where they don't have to try anymore, the name does all the work. With a bit of help from Radio 1 and 2, I suppose.

Get on Your Boots... God what a horrific song to have to hear every day at work for weeks on end.
    I liked Rush of Blood to the Head, as well. A bit repetitive with respect to itself, but enjoyable. X&Y wasn't unpleasant, but it wasn't something I'd go out of my way to listen to either. It was a lot like Rush of Blood to the Head and a lot like all the other stadium bands. Viva la Vida was a mix, for me, of things that were a little more interesting and things that were a little less interesting than X&Y. It meanders more which ultimately boosted it's overall appeal to me as food for the ears but reducing it's appeal as a single work significantly. Again, not unpleasant for me, but not especially interesting. I very much enjoy Violet Hill though--I feel it's on par with the stuff from Parachutes. Overall, Parachutes is probably their best album.

And don't get me started on those bloody hipsters that dislike Coldplay on general principle while listening to unpopular bands that are equally generic without batting an eye or offering a single bit of musically valid critique. Coldplay has a lot of faults. Being popular isn't one of them.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 14-12-2011 at 04:03 AM.

I'm with you Gwathdring, I quite liked Rush of Blood to the Head too (the Scientist, Clocks, there's plenty of great songs on there) but X&Y was a massive disappointment to me, to the extent where I had absolutely no urge to even bother with Viva la Vida or their stupidly titled new one.

Pilot Talk by Curren$y, again.

Love this album, in my top 10 of all time

The soundtrack of my nightmares.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    Igorrr
    What the hell? This absolutely psychotic.

...And yet strangely compelling...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar

Tua - Ubahn - a beat solely with sounds of the Berlin metro.

Discovered Killing Joke a month ago. Tracks such as Requiem, Chop-Chop, Butcher, Let's All Go (To The Fire Dances) and Are You Receiving? being my favourites, now. Also, their Pandemonium album.

OTT, lurked around YouTube to find some soundtracks from Unreal Tournament and Dune 2000 and those reminded me why I love listening to game music in the first place. Thanks, Brandon/Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post

Tua - Ubahn - a beat solely with sounds of the Berlin metro.
    That's awesome!

Recently found this while going on a Phillip Glass binge:

Also listening to Guster, for whom I will always have a soft spot.

Also, this came up on my Pandora last night and I realized I haven't been listening to the Shins enough lately:

Obscure Node