Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2565737475
Results 1,481 to 1,496 of 1496
    For action gaming as in racing, Serious Sam, Starcraft, Dota and such there is this playlist: https://play.spotify.com/user/hampus...MSjC6aaYVbBcBc

I can't recall where I was linked that playlist. Possibly in the comments section of some RPS article.

kesha die young

this is possibly one of the best noise I've ever heard! but seriously, I've come to like Squarepusher in this album even glitch is a bit iffy for me
    Art blog here.

Stuffed with pokemon doodles. And arse. Enter at your own risk.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I always kind of saw the first The Pretty Reckelss album as being a proof-of-concept. You've got this actor/model who has suddenly become this rock chick and singing about doing bad things to priests and stuff about hell. The whole thing felt a little bit silly and over-the-top, but I was impressed. Their first album had a lot going for it, but my main problem was that it was just damn short at 38 minutes long. None of the tracks were particularly long, albeit none of them being noticeably short either. Taylor Momsen's voice felt like it was naturally applied and despite, I think, the album having a few non-starter songs, I wanted more. So, four years later...

They've been teasing this new album for ages and songs I thought were going to be on Going To Hell are not, which is a shame as many of them have been good, but what is on it is great. Going To Hell is basically The Pretty Reckless 2: Everything Is Just Much Better. My main problem from their debut of Light Me Up is immediately remedied; the whole thing is over ten minutes longer, tracks have a bit more life and depth with extra time time to them (one track (of ten) on Light Me Up went over 4 minutes, whilst 7 of the 12 on GTH are including one that just slips past the 5 minute mark) and there is a level of maturity to the music. I wouldn't say it feels very original, but it's certainly fresh in the current rock situation and Taylor Momsen's vocals are incredibly polished and still ridiculously well suited. She loves this stuff and it shows and goes a long way to getting past some of the things that will probably always be The Pretty Reckless in nature.

What I mean by that is the subtlety. There is none. I've said in the last couple of posts where I've mentioned the band that their lyrics and videos demonstrate that subtlety is nowhere to be seen. This was present in Light Me Up, but GTH wastes literally no time; the front cover has Taylor Momsen sitting naked with a giant black arrow on her back pointing down. The first track opens up with the sounds of a couple embracing each other before launching off into Guitar-Certified Rock. I can really only laugh at it a little bit. I'm not sure if it's Momsen just having fun with it all (and I see that as being very likely) and/or not at all giving one iota of a fuck, but some of the stuff is ridiculous. Also, one of the songs is called "Why'd You Bring A Shotgun To A Party." The tone is well set.

Anyhow, the actual music. It's good! Very good! Like I said, it's just a vastly superior product all around to the first album and it feels more...focused. You can tell with albums that have a clearly identifiable theme that things just work together well. I'm not explicitly talking about concept albums, mostly because you sort of expect by nature that they'll be jelling quite nicely, but just when there's a distinctive thing running between the tracks. Even when there's a heavy rock track followed by something acoustic or even just lighter on the harder layers, it follows on much smoother as opposed to Light Me Up which, again, felt more like tracks placed on a disc. So the variety is better applied as well as hosting better tracks regardless.

So after saying a few hundred words of essentially nonsense, my conclusion after only a couple of listens is that if you liked Light Me Up you should absolutely get Going To Hell. If you want some straight Rock Music, you'll probably want this too. If you're looking for something a little deeper though or that really pushes in a certain musical direction, Going To Hell isn't that. It is exactly what it says it is; a big, loud, highly polished rock album. And I'm very happy about that!

Highlight tracks: Follow Me Down (great opener that basically shows all of the improvements made between albums in just under five minutes of running time), Heaven Knows (ridiculous and NSFW video aside, it's a very solid anthem), Burn (basically Momsen showing off her voice). Favourite track: Sweet Thing, shows what extended track length can actually do.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 02-04-2014 at 07:51 PM.