Page 18 of 80 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

I like this band. Dirty and full of emotion.

Network Hub

Yes!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar

Lesser Hivemind Node

At those more knowledgeable, does this really count as "dubstep" (I know the bassline is fairly stereotypically dubstep, but...)? I generally can't stand dubstep (Skrillex destroys my ear canals, though stuff like Emika isn't too bad), but some people seem to call anything with a "wub" in it dubstep (D&B is a separate genre, thank you...) and I've never found what the proper definition of dubstep is meant to be. The best explanation I've ever been able to give myself is "like Glitch... but different".

Network Hub
    Well I'll try to explain it the way I see it, but there are probably better and more accurate definitions out there. Please don't take this as gospel.

Dubstep has it's roots in UK Garage and 2-step. That kind of defines the beat. Being "bass" music it always had a shit tonne of sub-bass. Which I think is where all the wub wub stuff comes from. I can't say I ever loved that side of it much, but there are plenty who listened to dubstep just for the ridiculous bass. That's it. Anything that would destroy a weak sub-woofer.

Now, for whatever reason, the whole "wub" thing has been stripped of any actual bass and put front and center along with all the usual Pendulum / David Guetta bombast. This is brostep, but has crossed over into the mainstream and has just got lumped with the dubstep tag.

The whole thing is stupid because the scene that originally started dubstep has changed and fragmented so much that trying to tag them all with one genre is impossible. But now we have a mainstream version that bears some resemblance to what dubstep used to be... yet now it doesn't really matter because I'm not sure anyone in the old scene really gives a shit about being tagged with that label anyway. So the Skrillex stuff might as well be dubstep for all that it matters.

Anyway, I'll try and show not tell. Compare and contrast...

This is what counts for dubstep in many people's minds.

This is from a new album that sticks to dubsteps roots. Enough in common to be part of the same genre? Both have some wub. Here though, it's just a spice, not the main ingredient.

Basically it's like trying to take the early blues inspired metal of Black Sabbath and a black metal band like Dimmu Borgir, and cram them both into just the "metal" genre. Doesn't quite work.

All I'll say is, if you want to listen to new stuff that tries something a bit different inside the confines of the dubstep formula, then the Deep Medi Musik label has a load of great artists (Goth-Trad being one of them).

Fuck it, just read the wiki page on dubstep!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've never been able to get much out of wiki articles on music - it all just ends up as obscure references to artists, people, styles and random music-y terms that I don't get!

Thanks for pointing out that people have been taking it in all sorts of weird directions and calling it all dubstep, it makes a tad more sense now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Anais Mitchell - Young Man in America

It's a different beast from Hadestown (though that's to be expected really) but it's just as wonderful.

Network Hub
    The only thing that irritates me currently is the amount of people I hear talking about the kind of music Skrillex makes and then stating they can't stand dubstep. You're judging a very wide area of music based only on the most prominent facet of it.

It would be like saying you hated Blink 182 so in turn you dislike all punk music. Don't just settle for the gimmick you see in the charts.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Egh hate that Skillrex stuff, and that song there actually has a good song in it...shame they waste it with that horrible Drop and attacking me stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    The only thing that irritates me currently is the amount of people I hear talking about the kind of music Skrillex makes and then stating they can't stand dubstep. You're judging a very wide area of music based only on the most prominent facet of it.
    It doesn't help that a lot of the people I see who claim to like dubstep then link stuff similar to Skrillex as an example. I quite like that Goth-Trad track you posted, but wouldn't really have thought of it as dubstep if I'd heard it out of context (though I can hear the similarities).

Anyway, music. A band I recently discovered:

And the beatiful soundtrack from an Icelandic film I've never seen:

Thomas Bergersen is frickin' amazing.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    It doesn't help that a lot of the people I see who claim to like dubstep then link stuff similar to Skrillex as an example. I quite like that Goth-Trad track you posted, but wouldn't really have thought of it as dubstep if I'd heard it out of context (though I can hear the similarities).
    Well the fact that they have similarities was kind of my point. But I think I see what you're saying. Was just trying to answer Danny252's question as best I could.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Well the fact that they have similarities was kind of my point. But I think I see what you're saying. Was just trying to answer Danny252's question as best I could.
    What I was trying to say is I'd only ever heard stuff like Skrillex called dubstep - I was entirely unaware of the other side of the genre.

Network Hub
    Ah then I did misunderstand, sorry. Well like I said, if you're interested in digging further you can't go wrong with Deep Medi's stuff. Silkie, Quest, Old Apparatus, Clouds are all worth a listen.

Anyway, I'll stop spamming this thread and get back to enjoying the awesome stuff other people post. Lambchops keeps contributing to my 'when I can afford it' list.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Lambchops keeps contributing to my 'when I can afford it' list.
    Hah, you've been doing the same in return, so feel free to keep spamming the thread!

In the interests of saving people money I can say that the new Sleigh Bells album is something of a disappointment. There's a few good tracks (including the lead single Comeback Kid, which I'll post below) but despite a strong middle (Demons is another absolutely ace song) it takes a while to get out of the blocks and the final four tracks can only be described as "plodding" which wasn't what I expected at all. I always find it's a shame when bands have vibrant debuts but then sound a bit staid on the follow up (I was mightily disappointed by Dananananaykroyd's second album last year for much the same reasons, again great lead single but an unremarkable album overall). Anyhoo, here's the good stuff!

@ Dubstep

it's not a genre I've dipped into much although I do have stuff where some elements of it creep in. From what I've heard I much prefer it in it's chilled out guise rather than it's incogrously shoved into the au fait 90s chart Eurodance for a bit guise. Also to be honest I'd rather listen to 90s chart Euro dance type stuff than its current reincarnations, though that might just be nostalgia speaking! TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO!

Last edited by Lambchops; 27-02-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Rephrasing so it doesn't look like I'm saying cheesy 90s dance is better than dubstep. It almost certainly isn't!

Network Hub
    Ahhhh 2 Unlimited. I have no grounds to judge others music when I bought that single as a kid. Good God. My dad was listening to The Beatles when he was a teenager, he must've cried when he heard me playing that in my room.

Hey, why is my foot tapping along...

Obscure Node
    Forever And Ever, Amen" - Randy Travis

So, Peter Dolving apparently decided to leave The Haunted in not-so-peaceful atmosphere. The last song of the last collaborated album is quite fitting now.

Cause I’m done
    Digging myself deeper
    Done looking for escape
    Done playing games
    Your validation’s not worth my time

Everything must die
    You can’t shake it
    Last edited by Kaira-; 29-02-2012 at 07:27 PM.